Search results

1. D

Hyper-V Virtual Switch - Affect Host NIC Speed

Exactly, this "I believe you are using iPerf for the tests... During the test, check the CPU core usage, it could be a bottleneck." From what I am aware you might be seeing a bottleneck from CPU side.
  2. D

Windows 2012 R2 Storage Spaces - Tiering with hardware RAID?

Clients might see a bit of a performance hit, but nothing too critical.
  3. D

Searching for an affordable RAID card that can also function in MIXED mode (RAID + JBOD)

P.S. I'm not sure how your age is relevant. This part is definitely true LSI 3108 This one might be your best shot so far. Not that expensive and will do the job.
  4. D

Mellanox branded vs OEM

According to my experience, RDMA gives a lot of features and there is a big difference with or without it. Especially with Starwind, you will definitely achieve better performance. So it would be better to use newer Connect X 4 which is RDMA capable cause even Connect X 3 doesn't support RDMA...
  5. D

Installing OS on a RAID system

I would simply install OS on an SD card or USB drive and use the main RAID for the applications or data. It is the main common scenario.
  6. D

HP P812 Array Setup Bios

Try to downgrade (rollback) the firmware to the previous version, it should help.
  7. D

Need a solution to stop a fan completely, programmatically

Check similar topic https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/supermicro-ipmi-fan-control.12025/ especially, if you have X8 motherboard make attention on thekingmen comment, there are a few fan control options.
  8. D

EPYC "leak"

I would love to :-) It's like blindly believing AMD can do proper stuff and be disappointed each time. So why not give another chance?
  9. D

[SOLVED] - DL380 Gen9, iLO_300_DriveStatusChanged_Failed

Had a similar issue with my ProLiant a while ago. Swapping the disks between drive bays helped. Had to rebuild the entire RAID, unfortunately :-(
  10. D

Frustrating Java + Supermicro IPMI

Luckily IPMIView still works for me. Has to be started using Administrator privileges and compatibility mode with Windows 7 but still does the job.
  11. D

Storage Advice Needed for iSCSI

I would never do this. As much as I understand log-structured file system (LSFS) is a journaled file system much like ReFS so you are putting one journal on top of another which is not really effective. Furthermore, according to this page, Log-Structured File System – StarWind Virtual SAN®-...
  12. D

Automounting Datastore (iSCSI target on same ESXi host)

That's exactly the situation I had on my vSphere cluster where Starwinds is used to provide iSCSI-based datastores for the cluster. They have a nice guide on how to configure an automatic storage rescan as soon as the storage virtual machine is up and running: StarWind Virtual SAN...
  13. D

Shared storage options for VMware ESXi

Yes. Sorry for not mentioning this in the previous post. We are not disclosing such details on our forums until new features are not fully tested. Approximate ETA for the StarWind Linux VSA (beta) is October - December 2016.
  14. D

Shared storage options for VMware ESXi

Greeting, sirs. I just wanted to clarify some things and come with an update. Right now StarWind is working on improving it's VMware hyper-converged concept which means that we will run inside a Linux VM very soon. Actually, it is exactly the same thing that HP VSA and Nutanix are doing right...
  15. D

ZFS dedup vs datastore

What I find quite awesome is that Starwind does in-line deduplication on the fly: Data Deduplication and Compression – StarWind Virtual SAN™ - Starwindsoftware.com And obviously consumes some RAM to do it. Both newer ZFS builds act the same way, however, the new Starwind is capable of doing...
  16. D

Debating 10Gb for the home lab

What is the speed of your internal storage? If it is near 2-3 Gbit than there is not so much sense investing into 10GBit infrastructure since storage will still bottleneck everything. Mellanox dual port cards should be fine for sure, however there are some difficulties in using a three-node...