Search results

1. M

Best value rackmount UPS suggestions

Besides the lack of firmware updates mentioned by Rand_, I'd be concerned about the condition of the capacitors in an SUA, or even worse, an SU, model. I'd maybe consider one from a proper dealer with a warranty, but at C$275 for an SUA1500RM2U from my usual source, I'd probably just spring the...
  2. M

Looking for server build recommendations.

Ah, I'd selected AMD and SoC, but it's listed under SP3, which is the EPYC 7xxx socket. There's also the EPYC3101D4I-2T. They're both Mini-ITX, and only have 4 SATA ports, though. OP might be able to rig something up using one of the M.2 slots and an M.2 to PCIe riser, but that's getting...
  3. M

There's a handful of 45W Ryzens, but they're mostly Zen-based. The Ryzen 5 2600E and Ryzen 5 2700E are Zen+, though. No 45W Zen 2s yet. Also, depending on your workload, sometimes a higher wattage, higher performace, CPU will actually use less energy overall, because it may spend...
  4. M

Yeah, Supermicro only makes EPYC 3000-series boards in Mini-ITX. Doesn't look like ASUS, ASRock, Gigabyte or Tyan make any EPYC 3000-series boards, either. Otherwise, there's Ryzen (AFAIK, only Ryzen Pro officially supports ECC, but apparently it works on the regular ones, too), or a (probably...
  5. M

Supermicro 4U 848A-R1K62B / X9QRI-F+ / Barebone Server / 24x Trays / Rails $399

I've used Shipito.com several times to forward shipments to Canada. For an extra fee, they'll fill out the customs declaration for you (otherwise you fill it out on their website), but I don't think they do customs brokerage, so you're at the mercy of the carrier for that.
  6. M

Any recommended UCS refurbed parts re-sellers in USA?

We've had good experiences with PICS Telecom.
  7. M

Server or Chassis for SAS and Sata with screw less design?

I've got a surplus Backblaze Pod 1.0 case. They're top-loading, 45-bay, and the drives just drop in, with rubber bands around them to stop them vibrating. They use 5-port SATA port multiplier backplanes, so need compatible (non-Intel) SATA controllers. I can't remember if I've got a full set...
  8. M

FS: e3 v3 combos, e5 v1 combo, 4x 1.2TB Fusion-IO

Just want to confirm that RAM speed. I don't think I've ever seen DDR3 800, before?
  9. M

Buy a $100 1G NIC, or try go 10G?

No need to spend $100 on a quad gig NIC. I've got new and used cards for sale over here, for C$35 and C$25, plus shipping, respectively. They're based on the older Intel 82571EB chip, but they work just fine.
  10. M

Canada FS: Motherboards, CPUs, RAM, Case, NICs, Video Card, PicoPSUs

And I've got a firm offer on one of the used NICs.
  11. M

The case is most likely sold, I'm just waiting for payment.
  12. M

Is anyone using a power supply splitter?

I was working on something somewhat similar to this, for a OpenStack cluster based on 6 AMD AM1 nodes. The plan was to use a 12V 720W lighting power supply feeding a PicoPSU in each board. I only ever got as far as hooking the power supply up to a home-made load tester and accidentally...
  13. M

Hello folks, Cleaning out the lab. All prices are in Canadian Dollars, plus shipping, OBO. Payment by PayPal, or cash pickup from East York or Etobicoke. I haven't sold a whole lot of stuff there, but for what it's worth, I've got a 100% positive feedback rating on eBay. CPUs 1x used AMD...
  14. M

Can the HP Proliant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T run both FreeNAS and Pfsense?

Hmm... yes, looks like no JBOD option on the B120i RAID controller. I can't find any manuals at all for the ML10 Gen9, but it looks like by default it only has the standard Intel integrated SATA controller. You'd need an additional HBA to pass through to the FreeNAS VM unless you boot from...
  15. M

I'd written a long reply, but closed my browser without posting it. D'oh! The gist of it was, you could get one of the MicroServer Gen8s with the Celeron and 4GB of RAM, and upgrade the CPU to an E3-1220L v2 and the RAM to 8GB with parts from eBay. IIRC, it was about EUR350 total if you get...
  16. M

FreeNAS may not officially support AMD processors, but in my experience, it works fine. At least on bare metal. My old FreeNAS box was an FX-4150. A G1610T (Ivy Bridge Celeron) is a pretty low-end CPU... 2.3 GHz, no turbo, dual-core, no Hyper Threading... It also doesn't support VT-d, so no...
  17. M

Looking for FreeNas hardware advice

Like cactus said, it depends on what you're doing... My NAS (running Ubuntu, rather than FreeNAS) is a Pentium G3240, with 8GB of RAM and 5x2TB WD Reds, on a Supermicro X10SL7-F. It's basically just holding my movies, music, photos, etc., and is bored 99% of the time. My couple of docker...
  18. M

Windows licenses from Ebay

I had the ISO lying around, and knew it was clean, so I just used it rather than go looking for an "official" ISO.