Search results

1. L

UK HP OfficeConnect 1920 24G Switch (JG924A)

Boxed, all original items included. Used for a few months in our office, surplus to requirements. Full specs here: https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/default.aspx?cc=nz&lc=en&oid=6783404 Price: £60 SOLD
  2. L

UK [FS] 2x SAS Toshiba 3TB drives (for cost of postage)

I have 2x Toshiba MG03SCA300 3TB SAS drives for cost of postage/paypal fees £6.99, postage anywhere in the UK within that amount. These are SAS drives, not SATA so please ensure compatibility first. Both working and DBAN-ing as we speak.
  3. L

EU [UK] FS: Supermicro SC836 SuperQuiet Server / X9SCL+-F / 32GB DDR3 ECC [SOLD]

Looking to get rid of this soon as. This is pretty much a perfect FreeNAS file server and has been serving as such reliably in my homelab. Consists of a SC836 case from circa 2008 or so which had everything overhauled a few years back with 4 PIN PWM SuperQuiet fans (FAN-0104L4), a SuperQuiet...
  4. L

SSD fast in ESXi and Windows slow in Linux

Upgrading parts of my homelab and doing some storage tests using sysbench: sysbench --test=fileio --file-total-size=64G prepare sysbench --test=fileio --file-total-size=64G --file-test-mode=rndrw --max-time=300 --max-requests=0 run sysbench --test=fileio --file-total-size=64G cleanup I'm...
  5. L

Intel NUC single SSD - best filesystem for Proxmox

Just picked up an Intel Coffee Lake NUC. I've ordered a single M.2 NVMe SSD (1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus). Wanted to run a few test VMs at home on it, nothing critical. Would ZFS be the best filesystem to use or would XFS/ext4 be better?
  6. L

EU [UK] FS: Supermicro SC836 SuperQuiet Server / X9SCL+-F / 32GB DDR3 ECC (SOLD)

SOLD. ------------ This is pretty much a perfect FreeNAS file server and has been serving as such reliably in my homelab. Consists of a SC836 case from circa 2008 or so which had everything overhauled a few years back with 4 PIN PWM SuperQuiet fans (FAN-0104L4), a SuperQuiet 920W PSU and...
  7. L

Small office ESXi server sanity check

I need to replace an ageing HP DL360 G6 running a 4x disk RAID 10 array of SAS drives. It has the 1GB flash backed write cache option. It’s hosting Zimbra, UniFi, Plex (just me using that) and Elastix PBX plus a few light weight lab type VMs. At most it sees 2-3 users concurrently. I pay the...
  8. L

FreeNAS 11.1 super buggy for anyone else?

Just upgraded two of our NAS boxes to the latest FreeNAS 11.1. We're facing the following issues: SNMP service bringing down one box NFS mounts timing out on the other box so no client at the moment can connect via NFS One of the boxes reverted its hostname to 'freenas' (minor issue but...
  9. L

Self hosted Zimbra Mail Server - looking for other options

Been using Zimbra mail server for many years, but think it's finally time to move on. The product's getting creaky and it's clear there's not a lot of development going into it. We have a Synology Rackstation and we know our way around Windows Server. Anyone have any recommendations on email...
  10. L

Changes in Supermicro BIOS 1.1c for A1SRI-27XXF and 25XXF series?

New 1.1c BIOS for the following boards released in the past month or so: A1SAI-2550F A1SAI-2750F A1SRI-2558F A1SRI-2758F Download here: Super Micro Computer, Inc. | Support Don't suppose anyone knows what changes have been made or whether it pertains to the C2000 bug?
  11. L

HPE Procurve gear still worth it for a home lab?

I have a home lab and work lab and use HP Procurves (2810 and 2530 mainly). Since HP's policies of paid firmware updates, splitting HPE and HP and their apparent decline in support service what vendor are most of you here using for your home labs?
  12. L

Reducing power consumption of my homelab

Looking to reduce the power consumption of my homelab which runs around 700-1000W per annum and costs about £900-1200 in electricity. I have a pair of Supermicro Xeon E5540 SuperServers with 96GB DDR3, 4x 900GB SAS 2.5" drives. They run vSphere 6.0, and host Zimbra, Zabbix, Plex, Nakivo, etc...
  13. L

Super weird experience trying to buy Dell PowerConnect switches

Had the weirdest phone call with Dell. I've been a Dell customer a long time and love the bang for your buck their lower end PowerConnect switches give. I was looking to upgrade our 28XX switches to the new PowerConnect X10XX range and thought I'd give them a call to see if I could get a...
  14. L

(quiet) ESXi server upgrade recommendations

I currently have a HP G6 server with P410 RAID running my home vSphere setup. It hosts stuff like JIRA, Confluence, Zabbix and a few other bits and pieces I use for learning and running my day to day (non critical) business activities. Nothing requires 24/7 uptime, but obviously don't want it...
  15. L

Anyone tried Synology's new BTRFS capable NAS's?

Looking at moving from custom built NAS boxes using Supermicro hardware and FreeNAS to Synology's RackStation units. Looking to reduce the time spent messing around with supporting the FreeNAS boxes and wondering if the Synology BTRFS NAS's are as reliable and fast at snapshotting data as...
  16. L

Using HP Procurve 2530 switches at home overkill?

Looking to quieten down the home office which currently has a HP 2810-48G switch in it. I really want to make the room as quiet as possible which means swapping out the HP. I currently have four VLANs separated by Voice, CCTV, Management and Guest Wifi access. I don't need 48 ports, a quick...