Search results

1. N

Warning.. WD HC530 14Tb at too good to be true pricing

Because the drive makers can and do make special "one off" models for large customers. It's entirely likely that someone once needed a large number of 14TB 512e drives with 6Gb/s SATA interface (E6), power disable 3 pin support (0), no encryption support (4). And so they got them ! They were...
  2. N

Comparison: Intel i350-T4 Genuine vs Fake

Yeah, this is surely why the counterfeit market is so strong !
  3. N

They simply need to count the validations - if the same code has been checked 100 times from all around the world, it's pretty obvious something is amiss. Both Yottamark and BradyID work in the same way. I have absolutely no idea, if you're interested in this then I suggest you contact Yottamark.
  4. N

If the vendor is using a fake Yottamark sticker (ie reusing the same sticker over and over), then Yottamark will tell you this when you validate the code. That's basically the whole point. There's no way for the vendor to create individual Yottamark fakes, because how would they know what code...
  5. N

You can use the Yottamark code to validate the card - it's right there on the blue sticker.
  6. N

All these cards use genuine Intel controllers - but what we've found is that plenty of other companies than Intel are churning out the cards. Some use brands, some are unbranded, and some try hard to make their cards look like Intel cards. The none-Intel cards are significantly cheaper, and...
  7. N

Thanks for the correction - that explains why not all shucked drives care about the presence of the 3.3v pin !
  8. N

That means the drive you bought, had been removed from an external USB case - it was originally destined to be an external drive, not an internal drive (it's common for shucked drives to refuse to operate if they detect 3.3v in the SATA power connector). This also means no warranty by WD...
  9. N

I'm amazed that anyone spending a quarter of a million dollars on hard drives would even consider the idea of buying them from anywhere other than the official distributor :eek:
  10. N

This is very true. There's also no indication that the none-genuine cards do anything other than work just fine ! If you just need a card to function, then I wouldn't even bother doing serious checks on who assembled the board - the none-genuine cards still use Intel chips, and until we start...
  11. N

Cheap 8+ ports sfp+ - low noise

You can order via the usual China-supply sites, whether it gets an international release or not. ie Search results "TL-ST1008F" - Taobao FOCUS
  12. N

Gigabit + 10Gb Switches under $550

Doesn't everyone do this though ? Usually the first thing you need to do when buying a new anything is to update the firmware/BIOS/drivers !
  13. N

I think both of those questions are valid, there's no need to exclude either one. The end result is that you want the card to work.
  14. N

I'm going to estimate that 99% of cards won't show any difference, 0.999% of cards may be broken or flaky, and 0.001% of cards could cause a fire or kill a motherboard :-) It's really a none-issue - as discussed earlier in the thread, the "fakes" are really just unbranded clones - they still use...
  15. N

I haven't used one, but QNap now have a passive 10Gb switch with Copper and SFP+ ports - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CRTJ223/ - unmanaged.
  16. N

Sun 96GB PCI-E flash accelerator for $20

Damn, so it's also limited to 2TB drives :(
  17. N

It's not the big brother - the CRS210 is a full Router, the CSS326 is just a Switch (hence the cheaper price).
  18. N

Looking for a couple of 10Gb SFP+ ports - cheap and quiet !

No problems at all. It's silent, and it boots in seconds. The firmware download is just 50KB ! I'm not using any features though, just a bunch of machines connected together, two using 10Gb TwinAx cables and the rest using normal 1Gb Ethernet.
  19. N

New Product: Mikrotik Routerboard CSS326-24G-2S+RM

Mine arrived a couple of days ago - I'm using a pair of 3 metre Mellanox SFP+ TwinAx cables to connect my two 10Gb systems, and it works just fine.
  20. N

New Product: Mikrotik Routerboard CSS326-24G-2S+RM

I've just ordered one for exactly the same three reasons !