Search results

1. C

Home network opnsense physical, virtual or clustered

Sure I would usually just have my main workstation with one interface on the same subnet as the proxmox management interface. So basically my native vlan 0 is my physical and virtual network device management incl pfsense lan0, pve management, main workstation. All other systems and clusters are...
  2. C

Some really good point thank you. I'm really struggling to decide. I was leaning toward bare metal to kiss. Then I thought why not have a standalone proxmox box serving just the pfsense vm and other network services (omada controller and adguard). Not a lot of added complexity but would...
  3. C

Thanks for that, what risk is present assuming you're configuring vlans appropriately? I see most recommended PCI passthrough of the NICs which would work for a single virtualised host but breaks migrations between hosts.
  4. C

Trying to decide which direction to take with my home network and lab. Currently have a very basic home network with a bunch of omada gear. Poe switch, 10gb switch, aggregation switch, router and aps. I need a lab environment considering of esxi, nutanix, openstack, k8s, hyper v. I'll need...
  5. C

Netapp ds4246 or diy/aliexpress

I already have a couple of servers built in the rm400 as that is all I could find locally. I could just use an expander and fill the other rm400s
  6. C

Correct that's what I was looking at... Seems like a decent option to me in my limited knowledge, but no cheaper than a ds4246
  7. C

Understand, currently I have a Silverstone rm400 with fans across the front and it's totally full. The second option in that Ali listing is a full case with fans in between the drives and motherboard. I also found this: https://a.aliexpress.com/_mLUj3Tw The netapp seems tempting if I could...
  8. C

I'm looking to expand my truenas box currently running 12 HDDs and 4 ssds off a 9300-16i. I'm trying to wrap my head around which expanders/cables/hbas I should use. I priced up a 9300-8e, sas3 Adaptec expander and appropriate cables. Then I stumbled across used ds4246 empty systems (no disks...
  9. C

Pve os install

Ah yeah I suppose you don't need to protect much if you're using ceph. Any advice with regards to sizing or gotchas you can pass on?
  10. C

Help me move from unifi to something else

I power a couple of passthrough Poe switches atm. Once I add cameras I might end up with more.
  11. C

Pve os install

Is your boot disk a zfs mirror? Are you using nvme or sata ssd or HDD?
  12. C

Pve os install

Decided to build my home lab using proxmox as opposed to esxi. Major reasons against vsphere are hw compatibility (especially NICs) and the uncertainty with the Broadcom thing. I've done some testing using zfs which is really like functionally however I noticed that when using nvme vs SATA...
  13. C

Tbh I'm not even sure the TP-Link switches do intervlan routing with acl. They market them as layer 2+ whatever that means. Single pane of glass is nice but yeah I'm seeing the limitations. You have a good point, design vlans in a way that circumvents the need for routing
  14. C

Received the icx7250 today and plugged it in ... Wow it was loud starting up. The rams ramped down after about 60s but still not something you'd want running outside of an isolated room. Unfortunately for me my study does not have a door and I can hear the switch from anywhere in the house...
  15. C

I'm ok with clunky so long as it's functional. I find pfsense clunky compared to unifi but it is functional. OK it sounds like it might work out then. How about ESXi vs pve as the host? Keen on ZFS for storage level redundancy, however if running across an esxi cluster it may not be so...
  16. C

Yeah this is a good point. What do I need. The vlans that need to be isolated won't ever need much in the way of speed for routing and so can live on the udm and have fw rules applied. The rest can live on the usw pro and be open. I just feel jibbed paying a high price for an l3 switch that...
  17. C

The issue I have with the udm is 10g speeds. Routing between vlans seems limited to 3.5g as it hits the CPU. Thus why I want to offload everything to the l3 switch. But without ACLs the network is wide open. I suppose the solution could be to only route trusted networks at the switch, but in...
  18. C

It's an icx7250-48p. I've read it's not 'loud' but that's subjective to the noise floor in the room and the listener. Wrt the ui... Do you need to drop into the cli to setup vlans and ACLs? I'm beginning to think you need to get comfy with the cli to drive it, which in not really sure I'm going...
  19. C

Australia
  20. C

I know there isn't a lot of love for the unifi ecosystem here. It's been. Fine for me until recently where I expanded my network and want l3 intervlan routing. I bought a usw pro and realised how half baked the implementation is. I'm really after ACLs and dhcp relay, both of which you can't do...