Search results

1. V

Want to set up 10Gb Home Network - need advice

Thanks everyone for your replies. I actually went ahead & ordered 3 Myricom 10G-PCIE2-8B2-2S 2-Port at $40 each from 1 seller on eBay. Does anyone know what the difference is between these & the 10G-PCIE2-8C2-2S? Can anyone tell me if this cable would work for all 3: New Dell/Force10 10GBe...
  2. V

Thanks Brian_M, but I won't be using a switch - I'll be connecting each computer to each other. So, question is, do I need NIC's with Transceivers, or do I need just a cable?
  3. V

Anyone? Please? Itching to buy but not sure about the whole transceiver/cable thing.
  4. V

Thanks for the replies. I found a Myricom 10G-PCIE2-8C2-2S on eBay that supports macOS, Windows, & Linux. Looks perfect. even includes 2 SFP+ adapters. Speaking of those, what kind should I be looking for? Noticed there are a bunch of different types sold on FiberStore.com: 10G SFP+...
  5. V

So, my computers are the following, currently connected with 1Gb Ethernet (Comcast 75Mb connection, with Ubiquiti Gb Ethernet router): - Main - Hackintosh (macOS Sierra 10.12.6) - Server Hackintosh (macOS Sierra 10.12.6) - Server Win10 PC (latest version of Windows 10) They're all in the same...
  6. V

Looking for more than GB Ethernet, need advice on faster network setup

OK, so what kind of cable would I use to connect the ConnectX2 in my PC or server to the switch's SFP+ port? I'm thinking of getting the Trendnet TEG-30284 since I like the price and I don't need anything fancy. Also, I may need to buy a new mobo for my main PC, since it only has 1 PCIE x16 3.0...
  7. V

Or what about this puppy: TRENDnet | Products | TEG-30284 | 28-Port Web Smart Switch with 24 x Gigabit ports and 4 x 10G SFP+ slots NewEgg has these for $340 Are they any good? Looking for reviews . . . Can someone look at the emulator to see if there are any glaring missing options? I don't...
  8. V

1 - Assuming I could get link ag. to work correctly, still not as fast as 10GB, most likely & not a huge price diff assuming I can find the right 10GB switch. 2 - Yes. 3 - Need, no. Want, yes. I hate waiting even 3 minutes to transfer a large file. I can handle 30 seconds :) 4 - Current CAT5e...
  9. V

I've seen a lot of the info posted here on the forums about the LB6M and while hardware-wise it would seem to have what I want, and I'm not opposed to swapping fans, I've pretty much ruled it out since it doesn't seem to have GUI, only CLI. Too bad, since I really like the prices I've seem on...
  10. V

How about 2 of these, since I'd like to have as many of my PCs connect at 10GB as possible: https://www.amazon.com/MikroTik-CRS210-8G-2S-Cloud-Router-Switch/dp/B00RSNN17G?ie=UTF8&keywords=210-8G-2S%2BIN&qid=1442964255&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1&tag=servecom-20 How would I even set this up, using my...
  11. V

Thanks aero. I guess link ag will be out of the question then. 4 of 5 of my PC's, including my server, are in my upstairs "Computer room". The 5th, my HTPC is downstairs in my living room, roughly 50-75' away. Looks like I'll need to consider 10GB or else stay with plain old GB Ethernet.
  12. V

Please help me re-make my home network (I feel the need, the need for speed) My networking ability/knowledge: slightly better than noob. PC/Hackintosh savvy, built my own PCs for about 20 years now, can set up basic ethernet network (cable modem/router), but networking knowledge is minimal...
  13. V

New 32TB Home Server/Workstation Build

TType85, If you don't mind, how much did each of the drives set you back? I think NewEgg has them for about $119. Was it difficult to get the drives out of the plastic case & how did you do it? I think it voids the warranty on the drive, removing it from the case? Thanks!
  14. V

10Gb SFP+ single port = cheaper than dirt

What else would it take besides 1 of these Mellanox cards for each of my PCs to set up a 10GB network. A switch I'm sure, but which one? What about OS support for these cards? What about cables? Right now I'm running the current version of NAS4Free as my file/media server, and have 1 Win8.1 & 1...