Search results

1. H

PCIe to M.2 Adapters Ableconn PEXM2-110 v Startech Low Profile

I'm looking for one that's ESXI friendly. I tried Amazon.com: Mailiya M.2 PCIe to PCIe 3.0 x4 Adapter - Support M.2 PCIe 2280, 2260, 2242, 2230: Computers & Accessories but 6.5 wouldn't recognize it. While passthrough would be a positive, I'll settle for provisioning it as a VMFS.
  2. H

$171 FS: New Dell PowerEdge T20 Tower Server Xeon E3-1225 v3

Yeah, I didn't even print the label till yesterday night. I hear "30 day money back guarantee" from ebay and presume that's 30 days total. Here I thought I was doing the right thing by immediately reporting the bait and switch, and it bites me in the rear. I've had some really bad experiences...
  3. H

So I was authorized a return of the toner cartridge. I was out of town for training for the last week. Antonline went and filed a claim against ME because I didn't return the item within FIVE?!? business days and ebay judged in their favor. I'm absolutely furious about this. Extremely shady company.
  4. H

Logic should prevail on this one hopefully. Nobody would pay $170 for a toner cartridge, so it's pretty clear it was their screw up. Whether or not the computers ship out, or a refund is given is the big question.
  5. H

They sent me a freakin Dell Yellow Toner Cartridge by mistake.:mad: I hope I eventually get the actual computer, because I have some UDIMMs just sitting around that will fit.
  6. H

Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

Keep an eye out on Craigslist for server racks. The resale market for them is relatively non-existent. The smaller racks are usually more expensive than the full ones. You'll see 42U's for $150 regularly; sometimes as low as $100. The 24U's are more desirable for home labs, so you'll see those...
  7. H

$35 720p IP cameras

Dangit. After spending way too much time perusing that forum, it's become evident that I absolutely have to have a security system. Does anyone recommend any good 12+ port managed POE+ switches to keep an eye out for on ebay? They seem to be more into new, 8 ports or fewer, unmaged switches on...
  8. H

How much bandwidth have you used over the last month at home? March 2016 edition

FIOS here. This usage is a bit more than typical. I chose a new online backup service recently. I'm usually under 3TB total. I've never gotten a call from them before.
  9. H

How much bandwidth have you used over the last month at home? March 2016 edition

I force my VPN to reconnect twice a day via cron, and force all traffic for one particular VM through it. hence the roller coaster pattern.
  10. H

Coming from my limited number of purchases, I've noticed some pretty horrible packaging. I bought a bare-bones server and a motherboard for the 2670's I bought. The motherboard came in plain ol' bubble wrap with nothing to support it in terms of rigidity. In regards to the server I bought, it's...
  11. H

Raid with 3x internal ports, battery. Please recommend

The on board on the TD340 is software raid isn't it? The problem I've encountered with 3+ port cards is the exponential cost. Take the LSI 9260 as an example. The 8i (the m5015 with bbu specifially) can be had for as low as $100. To jump to the 16i, which I don't think there are even any...
  12. H

You may be running into the low RPM threshold. Supermicro's idea of low fan speed seems to be on the order of "jet engine preparing for takeoff." They're not used to the low "normal" speeds of consumer grade fans. They drop below the alarm level and the server panics. I thought I recalled them...
  13. H

Kingston 32GB DDR3 1066 Registered ECC Refurbished RAM Module $83.99 (Tigerdirect.com)

I know this particular deal may be sold out, but since they were brought up, TigerDirect is very much a buyer beware situation currently. Their auctions on ebay have been severely oversold, as have been the listings on their website. People over on Hardforum and Anandtech have been reporting...
  14. H

Quanta LB4M 48xGbE, 2x SFP+ <$100

This seller took an offer of $60 + shipping this morning.
  15. H

SuperMicro X9DRG-HF 2U Barebones Server

Yeah, all 4 x16 slots are internal. I know some people have been having issues cooling the passive Phi's in some of the more open cases; this case puts them in two wind tunnels. I've heard 1U Supermicro GPU Superservers running and they sound like they have 8-10 hair dryers running inside them...
  16. H

SuperMicro X9DRG-HF 2U Barebones Server

The model number in the title is for the motherboard, not the actual server model number. SuperMicro X9DRG-HF 2U Barebones Server Just Add CPU/RAM LGA2011 The listing is just a wee bit vague. I spoke with the vendor and they confirmed that it is the entire server (2 heatsinks, riser boards...
  17. H

BPN-SAS2-846EL1

To expand on that, you only need one SFF-8087 connector. So, as an example, you'd only need an LSI-9260-4i vs an 8i, since the 8i has two 8087's. It might save you a small bit of money purchasing a card if you know you're going down the Supermicro 24 bay server route. Bandwidth shouldn't be an...