Search results

1. nickf1227

"Open Box" Xeon D-1521 Motherboard $115 obo

Looks like a really good deal on the brains of a little NAS. GIGABYTE MB10-Datto Motherboard Xeon D-1521- SR2DF 2.40 GHz- Open Box | eBay Looks like this but port config looks different MB10-DS4 (rev. 1.3) | Server Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global Datto seems to be liquidating these
  2. nickf1227

Let’s all Pause for a moment and Consider the state of pfsense

Lets start by asking ourselves a simple question. pfSense, who are you? Do you love pfSense? I think I have resolved both of these questions, and the answer is yes. I’ve used Netgate hardware in production in real life for many purposes. It’s good. TAC, even TAC lite, is a great value add. Plus...
  3. nickf1227

What is a Debug and Why does (NickF think) it Matters?

Cross Posted from here: What is a Debug and Why does (NickF think) it Matters? | TrueNAS Community Disclaimer: This is a living document and I expect to revise it often-ish It's also a pretty half-way mix of my personal opinions and also presenting important information. Understanding the...
  4. nickf1227

Spencer V2.0-BETA 1- Now with Pineapple - A TrueNAS Email Alert Script

Cross Posted from Here, Full Script Available: Spencer V2.0-BETA 1- Now with Pineapple - An Email Alert Script for Potentially Hidden Problems | TrueNAS Community Cross Posted to Here, Spencer V2.0-BETA 1- Now with Pineapple - An TrueNAS Email Alert Script for Potentially Hidden Problems -...
  5. nickf1227

tinyMediaManager - ULTIMATE SOURCE OF MEDIA TRUTH - A TMM Script

This is a cross post on reddit: (1) tinyMediaManager - ULTIMATE SOURCE OF MEDIA TRUTH - Adding the most obvious feature - Write the correct metadata back to your files! : tinyMediaManager (reddit.com) OKay. So I love TMM. I've purchased it more to support the development than to actually gain...
  6. nickf1227

Using LTO Tapes to backup your TrueNAS

Originally posted here: https://www.truenas.com/community/resources/using-lto-tapes-to-backup-your-truenas.228/ Preface: I typically start these types of articles with a definition of the title and some explanation. Today I am going to break that trend, and jump into an anecdote from my...
  7. nickf1227

Spencer - TrueNAS Alert Script for Potentially Hidden Problems

Originally posted here: Spencer - An Email Alert Script for Potentially Hidden Problems | TrueNAS Community # Spencer is a basic Python script which is designed to run in conjunction with "multi_report" by Joe Schmuck # https://github.com/JoeSchmuck/Multi-Report # Spencer checks for additional...
  8. nickf1227

TrueNAS SCALE: A “Datacenter-in-a-box"

I am cross posting this here. Originally posted over in the resources section of the TrueNAS Forum. Figured some folks here might be interested. https://www.truenas.com/community/resources/truenas-scale-a-%E2%80%9Cdatacenter-in-a-box.224/ This resource is meant to be a series. Part 1 will...
  9. nickf1227

TrueNAS Scale NVME Performance Testing

Over the past year or so I have been obsessively exploring various aspects of ZFS performance, from large SATA arrays with multiple HBA cards, to testing NVME performance. In my previous testing I was leveraging castoff enterprise servers that were Westmere, Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge based...
  10. nickf1227

Lowest Power Consumption NIC

Hi All, Not sure if this is documented somewhere, and I am sorry if I missed the topic. Looking for the most efficient dual-port 10 gig NIC for a homelab server. SFP+ cage is probably obviously lower power than copper. Intel X710? Connect-X 4? Chelsio?
  11. nickf1227

NVME U.2 Disk Enclusers

Hi All, Just wondering, I have bought a variety of disk shelfs over the years from a bunch of vendors. Perhaps I just don't know where to look or they are just too new to be showing up in places like eBay. I know there are some Tri-Mode external HBA cards from Broadcom like the 9500-8e: HBA...
  12. nickf1227

NetApp Flash Cache

Not sure if these will even work in a standard server, if there are drivers required or anything else.... But 2TB of PCIE storage for less than $90 is interesting. NetApp Flash Cache II 2TB PCI-E Module 110-00202 111-00904 | eBay
  13. nickf1227

A funny story about pfSense

I posted this on reddit and figured I would share here too because I think it's hilarious. So for my day job I am in charge if a relatively large enterprise with about 30,000 total users. For Firewall on the edge we have had both Fortigate and now Palo Alto. For everything else, we have been...
  14. nickf1227

pfsense Multigigabit

Hi All, Posting to see if others have any experience to speak of when it comes to pfsense with multigigabit WAN connections. Recently an ISP in my area began offering FTTH with 3 offerings, 500/500 1000/1000 and 2000/2000. I just booked installation for next weekend for the gigabit tier for...
  15. nickf1227

Best Inexpensive Enterprise Flash Disks

Hi all, Just looking at some options for a HHHL NVME drive that is <$300 I can see that the P3605/P3600 is going for around $200 on ebay fairly regularly and I’ve also found Samsung PM1725. Are there any other options in the 2014+ time period of NVME PCI-E addon cards that are worth looking into?
  16. nickf1227

Dual-WAN/SD-WAN - What are you guys doing?

I’ve been working on building out my homelab environment for a very long time. I have been looking to solve a very specific problem I have with my current configuration and I was wondering how you all are dealing with it if you are in a similar place as I am. My homelab was started for two...
  17. nickf1227

TrueNAS Performance Questions

Hi All, I recently started foolin around with an old server in my lab. I'm looking to see if my performance numbers are out-of-whack because they seem low to me. I've built a poor-man's all flash array using the following A Supermicro 216 Chassis A Supermicro x8dth-6 motherboard (SAS2008-IT...
  18. nickf1227

Microk8s on Ubuntu Helm Problems--Tiller Wont start

Hi all, I've created a Microk8s cluster and I am running into a problem. I installed microk8s via snap on Ubuntu 20.04 ARM, and I enabled DNS, Storage and Helm. All nodes are up and seem to be working fine. The problem I am having is with Helm, more specifically with Tiller. When I enabled helm...
  19. nickf1227

AsRock Rack X470D4U $199 @ Newegg

AsRock Rack X470D4U
  20. nickf1227

Server + Networking Sale

For sale is: HPE MicroServer Gen10 Server with an Opteron X3216, 16GB RAM, a 120GB SSD and 2x4TB HDD. Comes pre-installed with Server 2019 Standard. Price: $399 OBO, shipped Dell R630 barebones Chassis, comes with motherboard, raid card, heatsinks, fans, 4x trays, etc. Does not have processors...