Search results

1. L

Sandisk Skyhawk as a desktop drive?

I'm thinking of picking up a Sandisk Skyhawk NVMe 1.2 SSD for use in my desktop PC with an M.2 to U.2 converter. Any thoughts on this vs something like an EVO 860?
  2. L

Smoking (US) Aquantia 5G/10G Cards for cheap

I saw a response from Aquantia in another forum where they stated that they have plans for FreeBSD drivers, but not in the near future.
  3. L

Gigabit + 10Gb Switches under $550

I'm assuming by "unmanaged" they mean it doesn't even have a web interface? Seems expensive compared to the Ubiquiti if it doesn't.
  4. L

Intel Wireless AC-9260, Where can I got it?

Model number is 9260NGW. I couldn't find any for sale, so I'm assuming they're all going to OEMs right now.
  5. L

Smoking (US) Aquantia 5G/10G Cards for cheap

One distributor is in China. Another charges a ridiculous handling fee on top of shipping and sales tax. Arrow didn't even have their prices updated to the sale prices until this afternoon. I ordered two cards when their site said they had 15 in stock and got a confirmation that the order was...
  6. L

Maximum SATA disk size for use with Dell XX2X2 RAID controller?

The XX2X2 uses the LSI 2008 chip, so maybe try searching for info on that?
  7. L

Intel X540-T2 bs X550-T2 in Synology

The DS1817 is powered by the Annapurna Labs Alpine AL-314 ARM SoC, so I would bet they are using the 10Gb built into the chip.
  8. L

FS: Lot of 6TB & 8TB Red HDDs, Quanta Server, Synology Diskstations, & More

I think he was referring to the fact that you can get a brand new DS2415+ for $1339 on Amazon.
  9. L

Aquanita based 10G-BaseT switches coming

Lower Cost 10GBase-T Switches Coming: 4, 5 and 8-port Aquantia Solutions at ~$30/Port Supporting 2.5/5/10G-BaseT with pricing expected to be around $30 per port. No word on management features, but I'd expect just a simple web interface.
  10. L

Synology DSM 6.1 Released

I really wish they would have added support for SMB 3 Multichannel
  11. L

Xeon E5-2699 V4 - $1750

Did you report them to Amazon for bait and switch?
  12. L

The Intel Atom C2000 Series Bug – Why it is so quiet

Apparently Synology publicly named Intel, and then was forced to retract it. See the 14:29 and 15:36 updates. Intel's Atom C2000 chips are bricking products – and it's not just Cisco hit
  13. L

Intel Releases Kaby Lake Xeon (Mobile) – Intel Xeon E3-1500 V6 Family

Where have you seen that the v6 procs include Thunderbolt 3?
  14. L

Opinions? 10GB SFP+ to 10GB RJ45 Converter GBIC

If you're an enterprise with all SFP+ switches and for some reason you need a couple of 10Gbase-T ports, these are a whole lot cheaper than dealing with switch replacements or adds. Most large enterprise network engineers aren't going to want to throw a Netgear switch into their...
  15. L

AMD Ryzen – Zen for the desktop gets a name

As with anything AMD, I'll believe it once the reviews are in. I hope they live up to the hype since Intel needs a serious kick in the pants.
  16. L

M.2 PCIe SSD to PCIe 3.0 x4 and M.2 SATA SSD to SATA III Adapter Card

Only one of the M.2 sockets is PCI-E. The other is SATA, so you need to connect the SATA connector to a SATA port on your motherboard.
  17. L

interesting 10g switch from netgear

Even the 8x8 is $1800. I'd be happy with a 4x4 @ $500, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.
  18. L

Gigabyte X170 Extreme ECC Motherboard Review

"High speed storage solutions using SATA Express are becoming more mainstream and this can really boost the performance of your system." Where are these mythical sata express drives? I only know of one from WD. Haven't seen any others in the last two years.
  19. L

WD Cloud Idea

If you are using Windows, check out option #4 - 5 Ways to Remount Ejected or Safely Removed USB Device Without Unplug and Reinsert • Raymond.CC
  20. L

picoPSU and A1SRi-2558F

I picked up a A1SRi-2558F and am thinking about using a picoPSU with it. I'll be using it as a PFSense system, so I'll only need to add an SSD. Would a 90w picoPSU be sufficient?