Search results

1. K

AMD Ryzen06 - How the first colocated Ryzen server has fared

Bioses and drivers keep getting better, it's only a matter of time before things completely stabilise
  2. K

10G SPF+ to 1Gb rj45

What about a mikrotik CRS210?
  3. K

Any Cord Cutters / HDHomeRun users here?

I feed tvheadend from my hdhomerun, then use a kodi plugin to talk to it.
  4. K

Any Cord Cutters / HDHomeRun users here?

I've moved to TvHeadend from Myth. Much easier setup, and lower amounts of messing around.
  5. K

Advice on the perfect Freenas ZFS build @home - Mini-itx

I stand corrected (one of the only "k" CPUs with vt-d on that socket)
  6. K

Advice on the perfect Freenas ZFS build @home - Mini-itx

You can't passthrough using a 4790k - it doesn't have VT-D support. Aside from that, looks good. You need to pass the 9210 through to the VM
  7. K

Is there a popular STH member video game or one coming out?

Been playing redout lately, insanely fast fun. Haven't touched multiplayer yet though
  8. K

ConnextX-2 10G Ethernet Cards

That's pretty cheap
  9. K

SW or HW RAID6?

re ZFS: Raid 10 for Vpools is perfectly acceptable - as in adding disks in mirrored pairs in zfs. There's no reason that this can't be used at home (aside from cost). They can even be different sizes.
  10. K

Chelsio T420-BT (dual port 10Gbase-T NIC)

The T420 certainly does, though I highly recommend chelsio's driver rather than VMware's
  11. K

So a bomb went off outside my building...

Stay safe..
  12. K

What drive configuration & FS for a home server using Proxmox and BTRFS (hopefully)

Urm.. get ecc if you can afford it. (not listed above in your posts) Mirrored pools make a lot of sense if you have the intention of adding drives. Re Backups, usually things fall into one of 4 categories: 1. Not super critical if you lose 2. Mildly annoying but recoverable/rebuildable if you...
  13. K

Silly question re Zeusram drives

There are levels of paranoia I suppose
  14. K

Wouldn't a UPS and something that writes the ram to a drive, like a shutdown script, solve that issue?
  15. K

Ok I get that Zeusram drives are fast, what I don't understand is why someone would get one, versus 8 gb more ram if the latter is a possibility. Could someone please enlighten me?
  16. K

What drive configuration & FS for a home server using Proxmox and BTRFS (hopefully)

So long as you add pairs or greater, you can expand zfs. Basically adding raid 1 pairs as you need storage. BTRFS isn't ready for prime time. It just isn't. I wish it were, but it isn't.
  17. K

Firewall / Gateway / Router recommendation?

Sophos uses snort for it's IPS - snort is single threaded. Sophos gets around this by firing up multiple snort instances if requested: You experience a lower level of IPS performance than you expect on your UTM - Sophos Community
  18. K

So I wanna buy a switch....

The HP 1810 switches are lovely, cheap and just work. That said, if you can spring for one, the mikrotik CRS226 + a 10 gig card for the pfsense/virtual environment would be better...
  19. K

Performance diff: J1800 vs J1900 vs N3050 vs N3150 vs 3205U vs 3755U on Dual LAN NIC boxes?

Ok. One key thing that comes to mind is Snort. Snort is single threaded, thus the faster your snort thread can go, the faster throughput you will be able to achieve. The N/J series chips will be slower for this than the U chips.
  20. K

Performance diff: J1800 vs J1900 vs N3050 vs N3150 vs 3205U vs 3755U on Dual LAN NIC boxes?

If all you are doing is routing, the J1900/N3150 would be sufficient. I run suricata and pfblocker as well as a 30-40Mbit VPN and a few other things. I wouldn't want one of those boxes for this use