Search results

1. M

LFF bays on HP DL20 Gen10

Hi .. I'm usually a white-box kind of guy but am considering recommending an HP Proliant DL20 Gen10 1U machine. We could get the base model which has 2 LFF (3.5") non-hot-swap drive bays. Will I be able to somehow stuff a Samsung 2.5" SATA 860 PRO drive in there, with at least a moderate level...
  2. M

OI swap and dump sizing + napp-it show rpool?

Two for one here, slightly related: My rpool mirror is 60GB and my RAM is 32GB. How stingy can I safely be with sizing my SWAP and DUMP 'partitions'? I don't intend to get anywhere near filling the memory (except for what ARC does) and I don't think I'd know how to analyze a dump file if I...
  3. M

restore using napp-it replication backups

Hello: I have used napp-it's replication extension to backup all the datasets on my main pool. Then I destroyed the main pool in order to change its configuration. Now I need to restore. I can figure out how to restore it manually using zfs send | recv of course, but I wonder if there's a...
  4. M

hot plub newbie...

Quick question: I have a Supermicro X9 series motherboard, and in bios there is a setting for hotplug on or off for each sata port. I use standard sata drives connected to these onboard sata ports through normal cables (not a special backplane or anything). Should I feel free to disconnect a...
  5. M

raid-Z1 (3 drive) to two-mirrored vdevs (4 drives) - problem!

I am in the process of 'physical-izing' my OI/napp-it ZFS base and host my VMs in KVM on OI instead of ESXi. Part of the update is changing my 3-drive raid-z of 3TB WD REDs over to 4 drives, a pool made of two vdevs made up of two-drive mirror each (how do you say that more concisely?)...
  6. M

Which SSDs for OpenIndiana mirrored boot drives?

If I go ahead with my plans to drop the ESXi out of my hypervisor system ( http://forums.servethehome.com/showthread.php?1262 ) I'll need a new boot drive for my OI system hosting some KVMs. Just for the boot drives -- 60GB/64GB should be more than enough (and 32 aren't enough cheaper to bother...
  7. M

removing ESXi from the all-in-one

I've been doing some testing, and may make a rash decision soon, so please talk me down if I'm nuts here. I'm thinking of taking my ESXi 5.0 all-in-one host that runs Gea's napp-it on OpenIndiana (in a VM with on-board SATA passthrough to it) and making it an OpenIndiana or OmniOS machine...
  8. M

napp-it afp on omnios

Hello: I'm testing a few things with an eye toward using a full ZFS based OS as the base OS and hypervisor (to replace ESXi) and yesterday/today was OmniOS with napp-it running some VMs in KVM. Worked well I think so far, though I miss some management features of SmartOS. I failed today...
  9. M

future of all-in-one ZFS-based hypervisor

I just recently started learning about SmartOS - an Illumos-based OS which focuses on hosting virtual machines via Zones and also KVM. I'm sure there are some shortcomings, but it seems the idea of having the 'hypervisor' itself host the ZFS pool is a major advantage over the clever but complex...
  10. M

External USB drive as ZFS destination for backups

Does OI play nice with USB drives in your experience? I have a backup server (OI/napp-it) that will boot up via BIOS at a set time, run backups, then shut down. I'm considering having an external USB drive (or maybe 2 in mirror) as the destination. One reason - better emergency 'grab and go'...
  11. M

napp-it replication extension questions

Hello Gea: I'm testing your replication feature and it seems to be working well. I have a couple questions, sorry if I missed the info elsewhere: I created the replication job before the backup destination ZFS folder was created (it was auto-created on the first run of the job). I assumed...
  12. M

ZFS Migration with NAPP-IT

Hello: It looks like I will soon have my 3rd drive to make a larger ZFS Pool. I will be able to have both my new and my old 3-drive Z-Pools mounted at once and my plan was to create the new RAIDZ-1 set and migrate ZFS folders. Is there a slick way to do this to minimize disruption to the...
  13. M

ZFS Dedup question

Should I turn on Dedup at the Pool level, or at the ZFS Folder level? If I have one Pool with dedup turned off in the NAPP-IT Gui, but I have two separate ZFS Folders with dedup turned on, will there be deduping between the two ZFS folders, or only inside of each one? Put another way - if...
  14. M

Safest Update Procedure?

I am running napp-it 0.6i on OpenIndiana 151a and would like to update to 151a5 and napp-it 0.8k (with latest netatalk also). Which to update first, napp-it or OI? I assume the "894 updates, 8 installs, 1 remove" offered in the OI GUI update manager would take me to 151a5. My guess is...
  15. M

Choosing drives for 3 drive RAID-Z ZFS, please help

Hello! I'm about to pull the trigger on some new drives for my Napp-IT All-in-one / ESXi storage system. I run very lightly loaded VMs (home file server, internet file transfer server, mail server, one-camera Zoneminder), so performance is not paramount. I'm upgrading from 3 WD RE-3 750 GB...
  16. M

OpenIndiana - how much RAM for my VM?

I've got my all-in-one OI/Napp-IT setup working and would like some advice on RAM sizing. Besides 'more is better' for now I have only 8 GB in my ESXi 5 whitebox and I allocated 4.5 GB of RAM to OpenIndiana, but now I'm getting pinched for other VMs I want to run (or play with!). I'm only...