Search results

1. M

LFF bays on HP DL20 Gen10

Hi .. I'm usually a white-box kind of guy but am considering recommending an HP Proliant DL20 Gen10 1U machine. We could get the base model which has 2 LFF (3.5") non-hot-swap drive bays. Will I be able to somehow stuff a Samsung 2.5" SATA 860 PRO drive in there, with at least a moderate level...
  2. M

pfsense problems

Did you set up the Gateway correctly in pfSense (look at the WAN config page). That has gotten me before.
  3. M

Safest Update Procedure?

I'll probably try 3.0.6 as I'm not that interested in the new Spotlight feature of the 3.1 branch. I guess it will be nice to merge Netatalk in with Samba, but obviously they still need to work out how to preserve the extended attributes of HFS+ on other file systems.
  4. M

Safest Update Procedure?

I can answer much of this for myself, but would appreciate guidance from the community! Taking a minute to look at http://www.napp-it.org/afp -- it is a perl script that installs Berkeley db and Netatalk. Since I have previously run this install script, I suppose I could quite easily do it...
  5. M

Safest Update Procedure?

Early indications are that the update(s) went fine. Question though - Netatalk was not updated, and I'm not quite sure what mechanism would update that (maybe using your perl magic it was installed from source???). I see at the Netatalk page there have been several point updates (3.0.x) and in...
  6. M

Safest Update Procedure?

It's yearly update time again... I'm currently running napp-it free appliance v 0.9a6 nightly Jan 30.2013 on oi_151a7. It is still recommended to update first OI to 151a8, then napp-it? Should I go to the d2 or e1 napp-it for this main OI system which is running a number of KVMs? Use update from...
  7. M

OI swap and dump sizing + napp-it show rpool?

I thought of a few other uses for my mirrored SSD rpool (no NOT l2arc or zil) and I'd like to be able to see it in napp-it. Is that so wrong? ;)
  8. M

I see -- so it's not napp-it that hides the rpool it's the OS. Makes sense I guess. Thanks Gea.
  9. M

Two for one here, slightly related: My rpool mirror is 60GB and my RAM is 32GB. How stingy can I safely be with sizing my SWAP and DUMP 'partitions'? I don't intend to get anywhere near filling the memory (except for what ARC does) and I don't think I'd know how to analyze a dump file if I...
  10. M

External USB drive as ZFS destination for backups

--- It has been working fine for me with a Hitachi Touro Desk DX3.
  11. M

restore using napp-it replication backups

I modified the replication job to point to the new server (different hostname and IP) of the target and ran the job -- it seems to have performed an incremental backup as I hoped it would!
  12. M

removing ESXi from the all-in-one

Here is a Geekbench performance comparison of a dual-core Xubuntu VM running in both ESXi 5.0 and in KVM on OI -- same hardware. Doing multiple runs of Geekbench scores vary a moderate amount, so the score difference shown is probably within the margin of error (but KVM wins!)...
  13. M

For example, after sending the most recent replicated snap back to the 'master' I have the dataset with only one snap on the master machine:reds/file-archives@1356821783_repli_zfs_OI-BU_nr_26 and all of the snaps from past replication on the backup machine, this being the most recent (the one I...
  14. M

napp-it replication extension questions

Ghandalf- I just tried to send a filesystem which had compression property gzip=9 to a another machine using: zfs send -v -p sourcepool/sourcedataset@snapshot | ssh othermachine zfs recv destpool/destdataset and the resulting dataset was created with compression=off. The compression property...
  15. M

Hello: I have used napp-it's replication extension to backup all the datasets on my main pool. Then I destroyed the main pool in order to change its configuration. Now I need to restore. I can figure out how to restore it manually using zfs send | recv of course, but I wonder if there's a...
  16. M

raid-Z1 (3 drive) to two-mirrored vdevs (4 drives) - problem!

Getting there... here's with three disks, one mirror vdev and one single vdev (waiting for its mirror mate to arrive from WD advance RMA): NAME SIZE Bonnie Date(y.m.d) File Seq-Wr-Chr %CPU Seq-Write %CPU Seq-Rewr %CPU Seq-Rd-Chr %CPU Seq-Read %CPU Rnd Seeks %CPU Files Seq-Create Rnd-Create...
  17. M

hot plub newbie...

Quick question: I have a Supermicro X9 series motherboard, and in bios there is a setting for hotplug on or off for each sata port. I use standard sata drives connected to these onboard sata ports through normal cables (not a special backplane or anything). Should I feel free to disconnect a...
  18. M

It's not just the cable. SMART short test fails on that drive with "read error" and SMART attribute Raw Read Error Rate is 3283 and Current Pending Sector is 51. RMA time I guess.
  19. M

I am in the process of 'physical-izing' my OI/napp-it ZFS base and host my VMs in KVM on OI instead of ESXi. Part of the update is changing my 3-drive raid-z of 3TB WD REDs over to 4 drives, a pool made of two vdevs made up of two-drive mirror each (how do you say that more concisely?)...
  20. M

Which SSDs for OpenIndiana mirrored boot drives?

The plan is coming together! pool: rpool state: ONLINE scan: resilvered 19.8G in 0h4m with 0 errors on Mon Jan 28 18:35:29 2013 config: NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM CAP Product rpool ONLINE 0 0 0 mirror-0 ONLINE 0 0...