Search results

1. S

10tb ssd pci-e

It might be moot since they're gone now, but in case anyone in the future looks at these I'd be wary of the 150W power requirement. That's more than the PCIe slot can provide, and if you look through the pictures there is a supplemental power connector. It's not a standard PCIe/graphics power...
  2. S

~~Help~~: ~~~Newbie~~~First~~~Server~~~

Just to add another option, if you don't mind going for something a little older, you could try looking for an HP ML350 G6 or a DL/ML370 G6. I've used both, and if you get them with Westmere Xeons (E56xx, L56xx, or X56xx) you get a pretty good platform that would work well for learning and...
  3. S

CCNA

A CCNA was my first certification (well, really the CCENT that came as a stepping stone) and I feel it was well worth it. I got it in 2012, and my primary methods of preparing were the CBT Nuggets videos for the exam along with a pretty good lab build out. Yes, it gets into some pretty...
  4. S

PCI-E 4X to quad 1X PCI-E?

I've never looked into this much myself, but I don't think the card you listed actually bifurcates an existing 4x slot - the male connector that plugs into the existing slot is also 1x. Looks like some sort of basic PCIe switch? I'm not seeing any real electronics on that board that would do...
  5. S

2x 2U Controller Nodes for Storage JBOD

Since you've already got some HPE parts to throw in there, you might have good luck with HPE servers. Everything plays together best when it's designed from the ground up to be compatible. A pair of DL380 Gen9 servers would suit your needs, E5 v3 and v4 capable, can get onboard 10GBe SFP+ in...
  6. S

$59 shipped: Avaya 5698-TFD-PWR 96 port gigabit, POE, 2x XFP

Take a look at the power specs on this thing; looks like it can draw 24A! I guess they imagined you would have every port maxed for PoE, but still, wow. I almost wish I had a use for this.
  7. S

Should I switch out from RAID card to HBA?

The P812 is a good card, and you can "sort of" disable RAID mode but it's hacky. You basically have to set each disk as its own RAID 0 array, and disable the card's write cache, but turn the drive's write cache on. This then exposes the individual drives more or less. In addition, the arrays...
  8. S

Fast-Tier Storage

I can't say for certain that it will support SATA 6Gbps or SAS 12Gbps, but since you are not using one of the expanders it's possible. However, those servers were meant to be used with the pX10 generation of SmartArray cards which only supported SATA 3Gbps and SAS 6Gbps. Doesn't mean it won't...
  9. S

Buying & Upgrading used workstations - first questions

If you're on a budget, I've had good luck with Dell Precision T3500's. They are older tech, but you can put Westmere-era processors in them and they can hold a good amount of RAM. Here's an example: Xeon W3680 6 Hex Core @ 3.33GHz 6GB RAM No HDD Dell Precision T3500 | eBay Performance wise...
  10. S

AMAZING Deal?!?! 16GB SODIMMs for C2xxx

Not sure if the pinouts and notches are the same for registered memory, but could you use something like this adapter to put them into regular DIMM slots? DDR3 Laptop SO-DIMM to Desktop DIMM Memory RAM Connector Adapter DDR3 | eBay
  11. S

Microsoft Windows 10 Professional $10.14

The impression I got was that the laws work slightly differently in the EU, and nothing prevents them from pulling licenses from scrapped machines and selling them. I'm not 100% on that though, so it might not be true. As for the Windows 7 to 10 upgrade, for the most part the free upgrade...
  12. S

Microsoft Windows 10 Professional $10.14

Not sure about that seller, but you can get these keys all day and night on eBay, for all sorts of products. Will they activate? Yes. Are they really legit? Most likely not. If you're a home user and don't care that you're at best skirting Microsoft's EULA, they are fine. I wouldn't buy...
  13. S

real noob help

That makes sense. Even though it's not a performer, it can hold a lot of drives! The P800 controller is based on the same tech as the P400 and will have the same drive size limitation. I think it might have affected a lot if not all SAS1 controllers; I had a Dell PERC 6/i that also had that...
  14. S

real noob help

That's a pretty big question, which might explain why you haven't gotten much in the way of replies yet! From a high level, there's a few things you'll need to consider. 1. The DL320s appears to be an older machine, from HP's fifth-generation Proliant line. That said, it won't have much in...
  15. S

Advice on HP SL165Z G7 minimal system build needed

Looking at pictures of the motherboard, and your video above, it has connections that aren't power lines to the power board that's built into the tray (the connections are at the far corner of the motherboard away from processor 1's memory banks, next to the single SFF-8087 port). The service...
  16. S

Silent J1900 PFSense box eBay (4x cores and 4x intel ethernet)

They're nifty little things to be sure. I think I paid ~$30 after rebate for mine a few years back. I literally had to buy it just because, and only afterwards tried to think of use cases. It would be neat to dig around and see what was made with more recent silicon! It seems like AMD caught...
  17. S

Silent J1900 PFSense box eBay (4x cores and 4x intel ethernet)

For what it's worth, some of the previous generation AMD stuff fits the bill with low power consumption and AES-NI capability. The E1-2100 processor was meant for low end netbooks but found its way into some tiny motherboards with a good deal of functionality, such as these: ECS KBN-I/2100...
  18. S

L5640's for $14.45/each

Check this old review, which touched on the 6-core X5670: Intel Xeon X5670 Dual 6 Core Processor Benchmarks and Review Looks like the idle is a bit higher with the X56xx series, but not that much (only 16W for two processors). It appears that the biggest difference comes when they are...
  19. S

HP 487738-001 468405-001 24-Bay 3Gb SAS Expander Card

Also, for the price of $8 shipping, you can get one with 4x SFF-8087 cables: 487738-001 HP 24 Port PCI-E 3Gb SAS Standard Profile Expander Raid Card + 4XCord | eBay There is some confusion about HP's part numbers, and the only thing I can think is that they make different part numbers to go...
  20. S

HP 487738-001 468405-001 24-Bay 3Gb SAS Expander Card

These cards can do 6Gbps SAS and 3Gbps SATA, once they are on the latest firmware. When they were originally released they were only compatible with the older standards, so you will see them listed a lot with that product description. HP's own quick specs show the correct info...