Search results

1. D

Can’t bring pool back online

Greetings, I recently updated my ESXi and in the process somehow one of my NVME data stores got toasted and I am no longer able to bring my pool back online. The device was used as a slog. When booting I see an error that an IO device has been retired. Running zpool status results in just...
  2. D

Optane Slog Passthrough (Or Alternatives)

I just picked up a p4801x and am trying to use it as a slog. Passthrough does not seem to be possible on OmniOS issue looks similar to here: Bug #11809: Support for P4510, P4600 NVMe passthrough on ESXi 6.7 - illumos gate - illumos If I start the system, the kernel will panic right away and...
  3. D

Is it ok to use Motherbord SATA for ZFS?

For my X10SDV-TLN4F I am using an LSI 2308 IT mode controller that is taking up one of my PCI slots - works great. I’m just wondering if there is anything wrong with using the motherboards built in SATA - Intel AHCI Lynx controller. This seems like something that used to be frowned upon but I am...
  4. D

Is it ok to use Motherboard SATA for ZFS?

For my X10SDV-TLN4F I am using an LSI 2308 IT mode controller that is taking up one of my PCI slots - works great. I’m just wondering if there is anything wrong with using the motherboards built in SATA - Intel AHCI Lynx controller. This seems like something that used to be frowned upon but I...
  5. D

Running a startup "task/script"

I've recently updated to the latest LTS release for OmniOS and have also updated to a newer ESXi 6.5 release. When my system power cycles. It doesn't seem like ESXi will rescan my NFS mount even though it is available. This used to happen automatically. If I need to login to my ESXi machine...
  6. D

ESXi NFS Rescan

It seems that ever since I moved to ESXi 6.5. When my ZFS VM comes up ESXi will not automatically rescan the NFS mount resulting in the failure of starting the rest of my VMs. I need to manually trigger this. Without having to go through the process of having my ZFS machine trigger the rescan...
  7. D

Open-VM-Tools Network Driver Issues

I am trying to uninstall vmware-tools and move to open-vm-tools. But it seems like the act of uninstalling vmware-tools completely gets rid of all my links. E.g. dladm show-links does not show anything anymore. Any suggestions on how I can remove vmware-tools and install open-vm-tools and...
  8. D

W Xeon - Where to buy?

Considering a new rig. Anyone know if these chips have been released yet? Don't see them listed anywhere.
  9. D

OwnCloud - NFS or CIFS

Considering OwnCloud for my cloud storage. If I use CIFS or NFS as my backing store (without their external storage plugin) is there really any difference? Basically wondering if there is anything to look out for if using either of these mount types instead of my Linux file system. Also, more...
  10. D

E5-1680 V3

These seem pretty hard to find. Not cheap but well below the list price. Selling at $900. [4 available] Xeon E5-1680v3 OEM 8-Core 3.2GHz SR20H ≈ E5-2667v3, 5060X with ECC
  11. D

X9 motherboard resume from sleep?

This board seems very finicky with respect to Sleep. First It would sleep but no fans would go off. Then I saw some ACPI error. Now it will sleep but won't wake up properly. Im wondering if anyone here has had any sleep issues with their X9 series board?
  12. D

Issue with MOCA Adapter on OmniOS

So a very odd issue that I am seeing. I've recently acquired some ECB6200 Moca 2.0 adapters. When I am downloading off of my CIFS share through the adapter, I am getting full speed equivalent to a 1GBE connection. The issue is that when I attempt to copy a file over the Moca adapter into the...
  13. D

Can ASRock even be taken seriously?

I don't think I've ever seen another company that makes announcements and doesn't get their product into distribution like ASRock. They announced Xeon D offerings quite sometime ago which never transpired. They have now announced their C236 boards which are still nowhere to be seen. Why...
  14. D

Setting up Snapshot for previous Versions with Omni/Napp-it

Hey folks, I've setup OmniOs/Nappit on ESXi. Everything is going well so far. One feature that I would like to take advantage of on some of my mounts are snapshots. Specifically I'd like to automate how to setup snapshots so that my windows previous versions are along the lines of say...
  15. D

Xeon D and ESXi

Hey folks, I'm looking to put together my first ESXi build. I'll be running this with probably around 6 VMs and I expect 2-3 to be quite active at times. Initially I was set on a Xeon D 1540 but now I am not so sure. I'm considering something like a Xeon 2640 or 2630 V3. My point of reference...