Search results

1. M

What motherboard for i7-6700 in a 1U

I was looking at this motherboard from SuperMicro - SUPERMICRO MBD-X11SSL-O SUPERMICRO MBD-X11SSL-O Micro ATX Server Motherboard LGA 1151 Intel C232 - Newegg.com and using it in a 1u with an i7-6700. But Supermicro says that it can only be used with Intel Xeon and i3 chips? Can I really...
  2. M

What happened to 5x5?

It's been ten months since it was announced, and five months since prototype boards were shown off. Can I order one now? If not, is it dead? Or is it likely to be available in the future?
  3. M

2TB 850 Evo sold out at Amazon and NewEgg

I just noticed the 850 EVO is temporarily out of stock (without an estimated delivery date) from Amazon.com and "currently sold out" from NewEgg. Seems weird, since the drive has been out quite a while. Does this mean they are about to release something new? Perhaps a 4TB and a refreshed 2TB...
  4. M

pystone

Hi Patrick... I'd just compare the pystones, with the larger number being better.
  5. M

Samsung SSD RMA process makes me never want to buy Samsung again...

Just an update...everyone who said the drive is probably okay seems to be correct. The problem seems to have disappeared. Knock on wood.
  6. M

Yep, the smart values look good to me as well. It's the logs and performance that are the problem. I'm in the middle of a second rsync of everything on the drive to a spare drive, once that is done I'll experiment more.
  7. M

Is this drive fake? (850 Pro 2TB on EBay).

I noticed several sellers with 10-150 sales selling 850 Pro 2TB drives for less than they should. For example, here's a sale that completed: 40% OFF!!! SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2TB Internal SSD ‑ 2.5" (MZ-7KE2T0BW) (There are others available). Anyway, the seller could have easily sold the drive for...
  8. M

I went through all my archived syslogs, and the first sign of the problem was 6:50 pm tonight. Smart shows this: SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 1 Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds: ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME FLAG VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE UPDATED...
  9. M

I don't think it is the trim bug, is that the messages the trim bug gives? I don't see anything about that message and the trim bug after a quick google search. Drive has been in use for around a year and a half, current uptime on the laptop (which serves as a server and is never moved), is 56...
  10. M

Between me and my partner this is the third out of seven or so Samsung SSDs. All of them bought at different times and used in completely different computers from different manufacturers with different OSs over the past three to four years. It's showing the same signs that harddrives show when...
  11. M

I have an 840 Samsung EVO failing. To RMA the drive, I had to call in. Now I have to fill out a 14 question email (not even a form, but an email) to get an RMA approved. They need the bill of sale, and a photo of the drive label. And they absolutely don't do advanced replacement. Which...
  12. M

What PCI riser for X10SDV-TLN4F in a 1U?

You might not now this, but SuperMicro has a list of tested memories. That's how I chose my 32GB DIMMs. By far the safest thing to do is to find the memory on that list. They don't have many options. So I was comparing memory from the 32GB list to the 16GB list. Once you find there list of...
  13. M

What PCI riser for X10SDV-TLN4F in a 1U?

The riser card did work for my purposes. There are break points on it so you break part of it off, you'll see what I mean when you get it. It's hard to describe. There are no memory risers. At least when I was buying it 128GB wasn't that much more expensive than two sets of 64GB (made up of...
  14. M

E5-2670 V1 rackmount build

If someone can name a few motherboards to keep an eye out for on EBay that would be great. Maybe start with what is likely to be the cheapest or most common find. Thanks!
  15. M

10Gig with RJ45 would be nice since that's what I have on my D-1540. (I'm using a gigabit switch until 10-gigabit switches come down in price). I prefer software raid to hardware raid. So If I can get enough SATA ports (preferably SATA-3), then I guess I don't need any LSI stuff? Or is the...
  16. M

Thank you. Can you or someone else give me a few model numbers that you like on the motherboards? Also should I be buying used or new memory for this? Is used memory significantly cheaper?
  17. M

I'm tempted by the article on the home page about E5-2670 V1s hitting $100. What would I combine them with to build a 1U or 2U rackmount system? Preferably things that I can pick up used and quite cheap. Although if the price is similar between used and new, I prefer to pay slightly more for...
  18. M

Where's my extra ethernet ports on the D-1540 under Linux?

I have a Supermicro MBD-X10SDV-TLN4F-O with a Xeon D-1540. I've loaded Ubuntu 14.04 on it. Under Linux, I can only see em1 and em2. (ifconfig -a knows only of em1, em2, lo, and virbr0). How do I get access to the other two? (Forgetting about the fifth IPMI port). Do I need to load a kernel...
  19. M

SG300-28 already leaving a bad taste in my mouth...

So should I just go ahead and change it to L3 now before I really start using it? Is there any draw back to operating it in L3 mode? Would it slow switching down at all? I think I saw some threads complaining about L3 switching speed with the SG300 models, but I really didn't investigate...
  20. M

SG300-28 already leaving a bad taste in my mouth...

Another annoyance is it takes a really long time to reboot. I'll have to time it next time.