Search results

1. J

pool import: force and use TXG at the same time

Thanks for the reply! I used the import -T method a few years ago to rescue a damaged pool, and was hoping I'd be able to use it again to help get me to a good place. This was with straight Solaris 11.4. Good idea to try 11.4 CBE, I'll upgrade and see if that changes anything.
  2. J

pool import: force and use TXG at the same time

(The following is on Solaris 11.4 on x86_64) Hey everyone, I am hoping someone can help me with a problem I have. There was some combination of power outage and power supply failure that produced corruption across my pool, making it unusable. I tried swapping out all hardware components piece...
  3. J

Fusion-IO Firmware Update

If you have it installed without issues, then "fio-status -a" from a command prompt.
  4. J

Intel DC series/SST Toolbox

Sounds fishy to me, I've never had any problems with the SSD toolbox and the 3500 drives or 3700 drives.
  5. J

Intel Optane 900p 280GB $269

Thank you, I just ordered one.
  6. J

SAS vs SATA in Terms of Bit Rot

Bit-rot is something I have experienced as well, and also worry about. I was scared to get scared in proprietary hardware methods to combat it so I settled on a combination of ZFS along with scrubs, and a PAR2 with 10% recovery on things I care about the most (like all of the photos I take)...
  7. J

Fusion-IO problem: "Device is missing midprom data"

Hey, unfortunately I couldn't get things working, but it was in the return window so I returned the unit and got another one, which worked fine
  8. J

Hmm, it is still not a happy camper. I can't find out how to unload and load the driver in windows like on the unices. If y'all think that will work I can put this in another system and do that. C:\Windows\system32>fio-format /dev/fct1 /dev/fct1: Error detected. Device is not in a valid...
  9. J

Dang, something was up with my notifications, I didn't see your suggestions until now. Will try unload and reload and a format and see if that cleans it up. It's a new (to me) card so I'm fine with blowing everything away. Thanks guys!
  10. J

Hey everyone, I got a used ioDrive2 duo from e-bay and it has an issue I am trying to resolve. It is only starting up in minimal mode, due to "Device is missing midprom data" according to fio-status. I am running 3.2.8 which supports this card. In case it was a firmware mis-match, I tried...
  11. J

Quickly create large files for testing

Since a 1GB file is created essentially instantly, I figured it was empty, and when I use default 7-zip parameters, a 1GB file zips down to ~1.1MB, so yep.
  12. J

Quickly create large files for testing

Nice, thanks! In the past, I've always resorted to using dd on a unix system then transferring the files to a Windows system, this saves some time for cases when you don't care what the file is composed of.
  13. J

AMD Epyc build for fluid simulation (now with pics)

I was being serious. I do something similar (and also with a Noctua) :) Your case looks more elegant with it though, my P182 doesn't quite wrap around it as well.
  14. J

AMD Epyc build for fluid simulation (now with pics)

love that Noctua in the 5.25 bays!
  15. J

Supermicro partially updates website with LGA 2066 Motherboards with C422 Chipset for Xeon-W

Yes, good point about mentioning empty slots! I try to keep my PC quiet so I value having a space next to my video card (mandatory) and fusion-IOs (if possible).
  16. J

Supermicro partially updates website with LGA 2066 Motherboards with C422 Chipset for Xeon-W

Thank you. That's the board I would go with if I went Skylake-SP, and I was close to building a system on a X10SRL before the Skylake-W were announced. But, the Skylake-W CPUs are a better fit for my workload (see more at Single-socket Skylake Happiness (was sadness) ) Do these new boards work...
  17. J

I was hoping to see boards with more PCI-e slots. Does anyone know if any are arriving soon? I didn't see any other boards I liked from any other manufacturers either. Supermicro, if you are listening, a 16x for my video card, 3 8x for my storage and NICs, a 4x, 4x to an m.2, all unswitched...
  18. J

Single-socket Skylake Happiness (was sadness)

I'm looking for better interactive performance in Adobe Lightroom. That is mostly single-threaded, with some other core use, but it does not scale well across cores. I realize that the E5-1650/1660/1680/2667/2698W would be faster than what I have now, but I'm looking for something faster...
  19. J

It's a better fit for my workload and priorities. The W-2145 looks like the one I will get, and I finally have something that is worth upgrading from my current W3690 for.
  20. J

OP here. Super super happy to see today's news! From before, what is the saying, "Those who know do not say, those that say do not know"? :) New Intel Xeon W Processors for Professional Workstations Announced I was hoping they were coming, and historically the single socket Xeons were...