Search results

1. Deslok

Supermicro X9DAX-7F and E5-2667 v2 1c turbo not working

As it says in the title, in the course of building my new workstation to replace my aging x5690's I picked up an x9DAX and pair of E5-2667 v2 chips, which work fantastically but the turbo behavior is being... odd. They do turbo from the 3.3 base to 3.6 which is in line with the 3/3/3/3/4/5/6/7...
  2. Deslok

Pfsense(or Opnsense) on a Cisco ASA-5512-X

I recently decommissioned a pair of 5512-X units at the office because they couldn't keep up with our incoming connection anymore. To my suprise when I took a peek inside one of them I found a fairly conventional layout with a Pentium G6590 in it, usb boot, socketed ddr3, sata storage and the...
  3. Deslok

Mikrotik Router question

I recently purchased a pair of CCR1036 units to replace our software limited ISR4331 units as BGP routers, in that capacity they're doing fantastic but we quickly found the next bottleneck, our ASA units can only handle 200mb/s of traffic(because cisco I guess?) Our config isn't very complex and...
  4. Deslok

POE test device

Has anyone seen a small POE device that doesn't require a massive wall plug? I was hoping to find something small enough to fit in my tool roll but all the injectors are either big(with ac 2 or 3 pin in) or have a big wall adapter without folding plugs(which becomes a puncture issue)
  5. Deslok

Supermicro board failing to post

I have an X9-SRL-f that was working fine under server 2012 R2 until it suddenly wasn't. Now the board will turn on, I'll see the bios start to load and then suddenly power off. At first I thought it was a bad psu although changing that had no effect. Swapping out the cpu and memory also didn't...
  6. Deslok

Bugcheck errors at seemingly random

I recently put together a new windows server for hyper-v at home on server 2016 and have been seeing this error "The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000192" Initally I thought my old 3ware raid controller(a 9650se) was to blame but I disabled it(although it's still...
  7. Deslok

WTS E5-2670 Supermicro mainboards ect

After rebuilding my firewall I have a lot of leftover hardware 2x e5-2670 V1 (40 each) 1x Supermicro X10DAL-i (250) 1x supermicro x9-Dbl-3f with 2 E5-2403 cpu's and heatsinks (150) *1x Asrock C2750-D4i (300)*No Longer Available* *2x Ballistix Sport DDR3 8GB (80)*No Longer Available* *photos...
  8. Deslok

It's finally happenening! 40Gb mikrotik gear

Mikrotik is finally listing one of their 40gig switches on their website the 24+2 SFP+ and QSFP combo model, taking a look at it I wish these were available when I had to order data switches although i'm suprised to see a lower license level and memory included compared to the 10gig only...
  9. Deslok

X9SRL unknown SAS controller

I recently did a rebuild of my firewall using an X9SRL-f which has been mostly painless except i'm seeing an unknown sas controller attatched to the system From what I can tell it's the SCU which i'd really like to use since I need 3 of the 4 sata ports it provides. I already tried installing...
  10. Deslok

Random question about allocation size

I'm setting up some new storage servers and i'm looking at capacities north of 32TB, I know this means I have to use 16KB clusters at minimum but is there any advantage to matching my cluster size to the raid stripe size(64kb)
  11. Deslok

PCIx and SFP+

Is anyone aware of a PCIx SFP+ networking card? I know it's an odd combo and I found these Lot 2 Napatech 810-0016-04 NetScout NT20X 2-Port 10Gbps PCI-X Network Adapter | eBay although I'm not sure if they'll actually work, apparently they're "capture cards" And before I'm told to get a new...
  12. Deslok

Shotcut as a network Renderer

Does anyone else here use Shotcut as video editing software? I've been using it a bunch personally and am looking to deploy it at work with the addition of a server dedicated to processing tasks, I should be able to monitor a folder and use melt(the parent project for both shotcut and kdenlive)...
  13. Deslok

Lexar everything is being clearanced out

Micron closed lexar a few months ago and after announcing the purchase of the brand by longsys most lexar stock is being cleared out. I'd include prices but they're all over the board. I reveiwed some of their gear as a writer for a small technical website here Lexar Archives - Pocketables It's...
  14. Deslok

Building my own drive chassis

I recently purchased a SAS HBA (over here in great deals) LSI Sas 9201-16e And I'm loving it so far it's quick and flexible and I have a few external ports left after looping it back into my tower for the ones I need. I've been toying with using some of the old cases I have to build an external...
  15. Deslok

Sas expander question

I'm upgrading my desktop and recently stumbled on this expander http://****/2vZyMiQ I'm using an LSI 9201-16e so the external nature isn't an issue, has anyone used this expander with an lsi card before? I know some(all?) of the hp controllers are adaptec not lsi so i'm concerned with vendor...
  16. Deslok

Ryzen linux stability concerns

I saw this article over on tech report, ryzen is encountering segfaults during a compile test, I realize this isn't a common workload for consumer chips(which I suppose ryzen is) but I'm curious if there have been any other similar issues AMD confirms Linux "performance marginality problem" on Ryzen
  17. Deslok

LSI Sas 9201-16e

Apparently these were on ebay for this price for a while but they're on amazon now, I stumbled on it looking for a new controller for my T7500 desktop and am just going to route cables back internally. 44 dollars with prime shipping for the LSI SAS9201-16e seems like a steal. Amazon.com: Lsi...
  18. Deslok

3d xpoint leak

It looks like xpoint will hit datacenters soon toms spotted a leak with impressive stats(especially 30dwpd and 12PBW endurance) Intel's 3D XPoint-Powered Optane DC P4800X 'Cold Stream' NVMe SSD Leaks
  19. Deslok

Windows Server on eMMC

Has anyone tried installing windows server on one of the mini-pc's that have been launched recently? I'm considering that they might be useful using the free hyper-v liscense for light applications(webservers/phone systems) I was considering giving it a go using this one Amazon.com: Byte Plus...
  20. Deslok

Is something big going on at Micron?

I was going through lexar PR posts and stumbled on this http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ABEA-45YXOQ/3060801079x0x729625/CEBDA2A2-B8AC-4DF6-B994-253CCAC94DA1/2016-10-07e.pdf It looks like something is changing at micron but my leagalize is a bit sparse to quite grasp what if any results...