Search results

1. V

Any cheap reasonable Skylake single or dual cpu MB you can recommend?

For open ended / more than 8x or higher slot they'd be required to run traces for 75W of power instead of 25W by the spec, which 1) costs money b) costs money
  2. V

GIGABYTE MZ31-AR0 REV 1.1 with Epyc Rome / Milan

I've never had this work on 2 different sets of Supermicro boards. Inventory never updates, but system runs fine so I'm not bothered about it. I'm sure there has to be some BIOS or IPMI option that's just blocking it.
  3. V

HEDT platform advice

For mac stuff just get 2nd hand M1 Mac mini. It's so much easier than dealing with the janky hackintosh stuff.
  4. V

Supermicro H12SSL-i, H12SSL-C, H12SSL-NT, H12SSL-CT boards - notes, experiences

Another recommendation for M393A8G40AB2-CWE
  5. V

SM H12 New BIOS and IPMI Released

If you use Linux you can just unbind the driver, raise up the BAR and it should be enabled; here's how my system does it with NVIDIA card on VM (/etc/libvirt/hooks/qemu.d/virt-instance/prepare/begin/bar.sh): echo 0000:01:00.0 > /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000\:01\:00.0/driver/unbind echo 0000:01:00.1...
  6. V

Topton 'NAS' motherboard.

Even if you disable the JMB585 in the BIOS and enable C-states, they're bugged and won't function. I got freezes after few days of uptime constantly. Disabling the higher C-states made it solid, but at the cost of power consumption.
  7. V

Supermicro H11SSL-i not detecting all RAM

Have you tried mixing 2 of the old and 2 of the new? Maybe it's some weird memory controller limitation re LRDIMMs
  8. V

Supermicro H11SSL-i not detecting all RAM

Looking at the part-# those look like to be LRDIMMs. I'll check what my RAM was, but the numbers look same-ish and I couldn't get them to work either on my Epyc system. E: mine were M386A4K40BB0, so 2400T speed and wouldn't boot with them. E2: yeah disregard my post anyway, just stupid rambling.
  9. V

Tyan S8030GM2NE

Do you have 1044 days of uptime? AMD's EPYC Rome Chips Crash After 1,044 Days of Uptime. E: nvm read wrong :D
  10. V

AMD EPYC 7302p+ Supermicro H11SSL-i version 2

Yeah I bought local retail board because they were getting close in price, at the moment they're actually cheapr. 550 euro for fully warrantied and European consumer protected item vs. something the SM support will not help due to dubious origins is not that deal atm.
  11. V

EUR 40 Super Micro 4-Port 10GBE SFP+ NIC

Got tall bracket in the mail (twice expensive eBay one) and did upgrade to SM firmware and seems solid enough now. FW: https://kikkel.it/aoc-stg-i4s-fw-v9.00.zip
  12. V

Got the firmware files from SM support so I should be good to go as soon as I find some spare time, thanks for the heads up.
  13. V

Got one last weekend installed for a while but got tons of connectivity issues, rolled back to working Mellanox card, due to time pressure have had to shelf the card for now and will investigate later. E: card came with this FW: Num Description Ver.(hex) DevId S:B...
  14. V

Intel X550-T2 vs. X710-DA2

Seeing you're in Euros you could take a look at https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/eur-40-super-micro-4-port-10gbe-sfp-nic.43340/
  15. V

BKHD-NVR-N5105 Motherboard - C States and Crashes

With deeper C-states than 3 and JMB585 disabled?
  16. V

Please update the thread if your setup manages more than 2 days of uptime, I never got past that.
  17. V

You can disable the JMB585 by disabling the PCIe root port, see my post here https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/topton-nas-motherboard.37979/post-399748 and this post why I re-enabled it and only run default settings and C-states...
  18. V

EU Gigabyte Mainboard MC12-LE0 Re1.0 AMD B550 AM4 Ryzen

No, you need UDIMMs.
  19. V

Experience with C-Payne adapters

Bifurcation settings missing? Mine has them, you just have to scroll down to the bottom of the page so they're easy to miss. E: oh bifurcation WRT those ports. I had a cheap 8i - 4x NVMe sled thing just work, and it should require bifurcation to be enabled. I guess it's enabled by default?
  20. V

H12SSL-I Stuck at "bmc initiating"

Reports like this is making me consider just ordering cheap 2nd hand Tyan board from eBay to just sit in the shelf as a spare, when (not if) something happens to my H12SSL. I've been swapping cards quite often, it's probably just matter of time when my luck runs out.