Search results

1. D

Proxmox homelab advice requested - low power usage, mid performance - Which TinyMiniMicro?

Ok so the riddle is solved. One of the brand new Crucial 16G sticks was faulty. (after two to three weeks ...) I think I was just unlucky. This was my first faulty memory since years.
  2. D

Proxmox homelab advice requested - low power usage, mid performance - Which TinyMiniMicro?

The funny thing is that I don't see any blinking codes like described here: https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/de-de/optiplex-5060-desktop/optiplex_5060_sff_service_manual/diagnostics?guid=guid-1edf2e77-d8af-4820-b4e7-527712c386b1&lang=en-us It just stays on after the second power up and...
  3. D

Yeah it seems to be a hardware error that I'm not able to identify at the moment. I powered down the machine and removed all of the drives. So there is only memory and the CPU + PSU left. The machine still struggles even getting in the BIOS. Most of the time when starting up I'm stuck at the...
  4. D

I tried now to clone a new VM from my template and this one doesn't work either. No kernel panic no whatsoever in the logs. It clones about 10% and crashes instantly. Without going to the machine and resetting it manually I can't get it back to work. When doing that it boots up normally and the...
  5. D

Thank you very much for the fast response @Marsh. Then I don't know why it crashes. I thought about different things. The SSDs draw too much power for the power supply (the original Dell 5060 SFF comes with only one disk) - but why did it work for weeks? (I didn't install any additional...
  6. D

Every backup (no PBS) fails no matter if it goes to the internal zfs pool or to an external NFS target and no matter which VM. It does the backup till about 10-20% and crashes.
  7. D

@Marsh Does your Dell 5060 SFF run smoothly at the moment. I have done an update in the last week. And I'm getting these kinds of kernel panics. Feb 28 07:44:19 pve kernel: BUG: unable to handle page fault for address: ffffffff8e88a940 Feb 28 07:44:19 pve kernel: #PF: supervisor write access...
  8. D

And I'd like to add one more question. Would you rather go with "standard" ext4 when using only one single SATA3 disk? Or would you create a LVM? Or what would be your approach when just using one single NVMe (WD Red) for the system + one SATA3 SSD (WD Red as well) for the VMs/containers...
  9. D

Ok one question from the guy that hasn't done hardware upgrades for some years. :-) The "Dell Optiplex 5060 SFF" does have a M.2 slot with Gen3 PCIe x4 NVMe support. (like e.g. the https://de.transcend-info.com/product/internal-ssd/mte110s-112s) From what I have read are the NVMe SSDs not...
  10. D

Thank you for all your NIC suggestions. I'm going through them later on. For now I have now bought the Dell Optiplex 5060 SFF i5-8500 for 170€. Not quite as cheap as in the US but it is OK for me. :) I will get now 2x16GB of RAM and SSD + M2 SSD storage + PCIx 1x2,5G NIC. Any suggestions for...
  11. D

This is the only thing that is open for me now. My only requirement would be that it works with Proxmox.
  12. D

@rub1k Yeah well the i5-6500 models are available in Germany as well for quite the same price. But I'm now looking for the i5-8500(t) ones here. At the moment I got one offer for a 180€ quite barebone Dell Optiplex 5060 SFF. I know that it is still above the us prices but I think I will get this...
  13. D

Thank you very much. Which NICs would you get for the Dell SFF system if you need a second faster NIC in addition to the 1 standard 1Gbit NIC?
  14. D

Perhaps I didn't read it but does the Dell Optiplex 5060 SFF with its i5-8500 draw more power than the Lenovo M720q with its i5-8500t? I know TDP 35W vs 65W but does it really matter in reality?
  15. D

Yeah well my workload will definitely be lower than yours. So at the moment no clustering etc. just some simple Ubuntu VMs running InfluxDB + Grafana. No fancy firewalling, router whatever custom stuff. So I will be fine with the 8500(t). I'm hunting now also on US ebay since even with customs...
  16. D

I will give it a shot and hunt for any i5-8500t I can find on ebay Germany. :cool: Seems to be a good deal for me if I can get one. In the end I don't want to throw 500€ or more on old hardware. Since it will "only" be idling most of the time persisting my homeassistant data.
  17. D

Unfortunately the same machine costs in Germany 319€ (refurbished). Just some findings on ebay or refurb shops here: https://www.ebay.de/itm/225314168013?hash=item3475c55ccd:g:J2UAAOSw9kFjpcWM https://www.refurbed.de/p/dell-optiplez-5060-sff/15066c/ https://www.ebay.de/itm/234281320393 So to...
  18. D

Thank you very much for all your comments. I will walk through them step by step. But one big remark: I would love to see i8500t machines here in Germany for $120. :eek: They do cost in fact about 340€ (about $370). But in the end what I get is that it is much better to go with the intel...
  19. D

Hey guys, After watching dozens of hours of TinyMiniMicro reviews by STH I still can't decide what I want. Here is what I want to get from the system: lowest power usage as possible (idle < 10W if possible) mid performance as cheap as possible but definitely not over 500€ (I'm in Germany)...