Search results

1. D

R720 connector documentation wrong?

Do you have a part number for the caddy please?
  2. D

Lately, I've been using these PCI cards which do not require data or power cables: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08111FRVR CY DOCK 2.5” SATA SSD/HDD to PCIe 2.0 x1 Hot-Swap Mobile Rack for PCIe Expansion Slots | ToughArmor MB839SP-B
  3. D

Dell R730 - how to use internal boot drives?

That no-bifurification ain't cheap.
  4. D

In my case, software RAID is what I'll be using via a ZFS mirror.
  5. D

Thank you for confirming that.
  6. D

I have a Dell R730 (not the XD) and my goal is to boot off internal drives, leaving the front 2.5" bays free for data. In the past, with an R720, I did this with PCIe hot swap cards. I realize now, that I should have opened up the chassis and checked for possible power and data connections...
  7. D

Do you attach gear to a sheet of plywood in the basement?

Mounting electrical panels to plywood is standard practice. It's not novel or unusual at all. An example I stumbled across today.
  8. D

Hence, the fire-resistant plywood. This meets code. The electrical panel itself is metal.
  9. D

Hence, the fire-resistant plywood. This meets code.
  10. D

Do you attach gear to a sheet of plywood in the basement? About 15 years ago, in another city, I had a small sheet of plywood attached to the wall of the basement. It held the DSL modem, the network switch, and other small component related to my home network. Fast forward: I've just bought a...
  11. D

Guide: Flashing H310/H710/H810 Mini & full size to IT Mode

For the 710 mini, I did this for my R720: Dell R720 flashing Dell PERC H710 mini into IT mode – Dan Langille's Other Diary It follows the instructions from Introduction - Fohdeesha Docs
  12. D

Guide: Flashing H310/H710/H810 Mini & full size to IT Mode

I am late to the game. I flashed the H710 mini in my R720 yesterday and I will be using 4x 1TB 860 EVOs in that server. They should be just fine. I am using Samsung SSD 850 3B6Q (that's the PRO) with a SAS2308 - works well.
  13. D

I have another R720 which will undergo the same modifications. The one bit of information to put out there: The SATA power cable to the CDROM is split. The spare power connector it not clearly visible. It is under the shelf upon which the CD-ROM sits. From the photo below: power - the end...
  14. D

Success. The first drive was added in last week: Installing internal PCI Slot SSD drive enclosures in a Dell R720 – Dan Langille's Other Diary The second drive went in today, but not without me accidentally removing the boot drive first: Dan Langille on Twitter Thanks all for the help.
  15. D

Hah! The SSDs I have bought are SATA II: Intel® SSD 320 Series (80GB, 2.5in SATA 3Gb/s, 25nm, MLC) Product Specifications
  16. D

SATA port speed was not something I had considered in my plan. The ports will be used for the OS only, not for data. Most of the writing will be via the recently installed HBA. Thank you for this information. Much appreciated.
  17. D

My current theory: that 4-pin port is sufficient to power two SSDs. Spec sheet for the SSD: Intel® SSD 320 Series (80GB, 2.5in SATA 3Gb/s, 25nm, MLC) Product Specifications
  18. D

So far, I have failed to find a cable for the J_BPO connector.
  19. D

I think my CD ROM is being powered by the Tape backup power connector, not the Optical drive connector. Either that or the documentation is wrong. Using the server service tag, the documentation leads to page 129 of https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/poweredge-r720_owners-manual_en-us.pdf When I...