Search results

1. Magnus919

Cheap way to get 10gbe

On what planet is $2150 "cheap" for homelab hardware, though?
  2. Magnus919

Raidz Question

There are practical limitations to the number of pdevs in a zfs vdev depending on what RAID level you're going with. I don't know what that point of diminishing returns is with raidz2 vdevs but I'm pretty sure that 18 pdevs is past it.
  3. Magnus919

Oracle Solaris 11.3 beta

Meh. I would have been more excited if it were open sourced. At least we have illumos.
  4. Magnus919

/r/zfs (Oracle needs ZFS admins) x/post

I could no more sell my talents to Oracle than I could to the DHS.
  5. Magnus919

Cheap 2TB HDs

Also refurbs. Someone else thought they were broken, WD is selling them as refurbished... many Newegg customers are calling BS.
  6. Magnus919

Cheap 2TB HDs

Interesting deal. His store and especially his photos evoke the modern day version of the guy selling stolen goods out of the back of a shady looking car in a shopping mall parking lot after hours.
  7. Magnus919

Prime day!!!!

Prime Day turned out to be the biggest waste of my time. It was like trying to buy nice things at a flea market.
  8. Magnus919

Proxmox VE 4.0 Beta Thread

Thanks. For the sake of closing the loop for anyone else who is wondering: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/proxmox-initial-installation-checklist.5595/#post-48434
  9. Magnus919

Proxmox VE 4.0 Beta Thread

It's been many, many years since I've used this. Help me understand: if I were to run the free version with no support contract, does that mean I get no patches?
  10. Magnus919

Any interest in Ceph articles?

Methinks one of the killer features that ceph is missing is an ephemeral distro (PXE boot) so all disks in the chassis can be dedicated to OSD use. That would make your NUC fantasy ever more compelling.
  11. Magnus919

Home servers - DIY or pre-built?

I used to go DIY but lately I've been mostly refactoring around Dell & HP rackmount servers, in a Dell half-rack. I say "mostly" because I'm not ready to give up my N40L just yet, and in fact just stuffed about $1600 worth of upgrades into that little $300 turd.
  12. Magnus919

SAMSUND 2 TB SSD's

Shame that we're still stuck with SATA for these things for the most part. That's ultimately their bottleneck.
  13. Magnus919

vertical cable management for a 24U cabinet?

As I'm starting to build out my 24U cabinet more, I'm finding spaghetti cabling that I'd be ashamed of in my day job. Normally I work in 42U racks with the benefit of 0U vertical cable management systems, but the usual vendors that I'd check with only seem to have vertical cable management...
  14. Magnus919

No vSAN - Ceph or GlusterFS these days?

So I just watched that whole video, and I think CERN's bottom line is a lot different than what I think you were suggesting. It just works.
  15. Magnus919

Watching that talk now, thanks.
  16. Magnus919

Choosing hardware for Small Office Server

What's the advantage of running FiFo over SDC?
  17. Magnus919

CentOS on C6100

Another SmartOS user. Nice. :)
  18. Magnus919

Did you personally have a bad experience with it or something? I was reading a fairly data-rich overview by CERN that offered what I thought to be a very promising review of the operational sanity of ceph. https://iopscience.iop.org/1742-6596/513/4/042047/pdf/1742-6596_513_4_042047.pdf
  19. Magnus919

If not ceph, then what? And if you say "gluster", I'll know for sure that you're trolling us. :)
  20. Magnus919

+1 I'd love to learn more about Ceph. I had some budget this month for homelab upgrades and I spent them elsewhere, but for a good while I was pushing the numbers around to make sense of starting up a ceph pool as a backing store for OpenNebula.