Search results

1. Terry Kennedy

Retro: AlphaServer DS20

As some of you may know, I restore old / antique computers for a museum. This server straddles the line between old and antique, as it is almost 25 years old. Build’s Name: AlphaServer DS20 Operating System/ Storage Platform: OpenVMS 8.4-2L1 CPU: Alpha 21264 500MHz EV6 (x2) Motherboard...
  2. Terry Kennedy

Make your own Dell drive tray labels

This is probably of interest to just a few people, but I'll throw it out here in case anyone finds it useful... Creating drive labels for Dell 2.5″ disk trays
  3. Terry Kennedy

Dell part number reference / price list - HUGE

I was searching for info on a specific Dell part number and one of the returned Google search results was on a site mysteriously named "ftpbox.us.dell.com". It doesn't allow directory listings, but you can throw search terms like "site:ftpbox.us.dell.com something" at Google and see what sticks...
  4. Terry Kennedy

Windows 7 on E-2286G (Dell 3630) - any hope?

I have a newish Dell 3630 with an E-2286G CPU (using an AMD Radeon 7100 video card, so I don't care about the on-board graphics). The Microsoft / Intel conspiracy to sell new CPUs / Windows licenses (which would be a bit less annoying if Intel actually had the CPUs to sell) means that Windows 7...
  5. Terry Kennedy

Looking for a GigE tunnel box - no firewall, security, etc.

I have been unsuccessful in finding a box to meet a specific requirement - take a Gigabit Ethernet and IP tunnel it over an arbitrary Internet path to the other end and another of the same box and reconstitute it. Specific requirements: Work at full GigE line rate Not be restricted to IP - any...
  6. Terry Kennedy

Potential counterfeit X550 cards (or Yottamark fail)

I ordered an "Intel Corp X550T1 Converged Network Adapter X550" from Amazon (link), making sure to select the "Ships from and sold by Amazon" version. This was for a "can't fail" application, so it was worth paying a little more to make sure I got a genuine retail Intel card. At least, that was...
  7. Terry Kennedy

Loaded Dell R730 - 2 x E5-2643 v3, 128GB, iDRAC8 Enterprise, etc.

I think this is a good deal, but my current "modern" servers are Dell R710 X5680-based units, so I may be off base... I negotiated an eBay seller down to $1853.60 for: Dell R730 2.5" 8-bay chassis w/ dual 750W PSU 2 x E5-2643 v3 128GB DDR4-2133 RAM (8 x 16GB) PERC H730 (SAS 3108) Dual X540...
  8. Terry Kennedy

Flood of used Cisco 3945 routers on eBay

If you are looking for a router that runs a relatively modern version of Cisco IOS, either for learning purposes or because you just like Cisco routers, eBay is flooded with used 3945s because the whole product family (19xx / 29xx / 39xx) just started going EoL - you can't add them to a support...
  9. Terry Kennedy

FS: [Pre-] Spring 2019 cleaning sale - 16 * 3.5 hot-swap server chassis

I have a number of items I'll list in this thread, but to start things off: SOLD * Ci Design NSR316 server/storage chassis. Manufacturer's product page. This is a 16 * 3.5" SAS/SATA hot-swap EATX chassis with space for 2 * 2.5" drives and a CD / DVD drive. It comes with all of the standard...
  10. Terry Kennedy

STH forum serving malicious ads

I was browing the Hardware pron thread and was forcibly redirected to this: Note that the underlying page actively blocked being captured, presumably to avoid recording of the URL. Sorry, but I wasn't going to stay parked on that page long enough to manually transcribe the URL - I took IE out...
  11. Terry Kennedy

Network: TK's home network / server cabinet(s)

I've had a server cabinet at my house since 1999. It is in a constant state of change, and I occasionally document it on my web site. I've posted a few pictures here previously, usually to illustrate some point or to answer a question. A few months ago I realized I never posted the whole build...
  12. Terry Kennedy

Nostalgia: A look back at the Netgear ND520 NAS (1999)

As part of updating my web site and posting new server pictures, I ended up parroting my "... a real turkey (slow, buggy, etc.) and was withdrawn from marketing by NETGEAR within a year or two of its introduction." description of the ND520, which I've been saying in one form or another for well...
  13. Terry Kennedy

Internet Explorer has modified this page to help prevent cross-site scripting

I've been getting "Internet Explorer has modified this page to help prevent cross-site scripting" warnings on the bottoms of pages on this site, perhaps 20% of the time in this session. I think that there's some questionable advertising practices going on. You may want to ask your ad provider(s)...
  14. Terry Kennedy

Suggestion: Section for networking like "DIY Server Builds"

What do you think about networking / wiring closet posts discussing builds that users did? This would be like the "DIY Server Builds", but doesn't need its own forum. It could be added to the DIY forum section (adding "and Networking" to the section title) or it could be threads in the...
  15. Terry Kennedy

Solved: Anyone using Fiberstore optics in Dell Powerconnect switches?

If you have a Dell Powerconnect switch and are using SFP or SFP+ optics from Fiberstore, I'd like you to run a brief test for me. Do a "show fiber-ports optical-transceiver" and let me know if you get results from any of the Fiberstore optics. The model of switch and firmware version it is...
  16. Terry Kennedy

WTB: Shipping service from South San Francisco to NYC area

I may need someone to pick up a tape library in South San Francisco, install a shipping lock pin, and ship it to me in the NYC area. I will reimburse you all shipping costs plus a reasonable amount for your time. This is not a "done deal" yet - I'll know by this evening. If I need it, I would...
  17. Terry Kennedy

WTB: Q9650 CPU, 4GB desktop DDR3, cheap SATA SSD

Here's a chance for you to clean out your junk drawers :D I am looking for: Q9650 CPU [Qty 1] 4GB DDR3-1066 or -1333 unbuffered / non-ECC (desktop) memory [Qty 4] Cheap 2.5" SATA SSD > 250GB (can be SATA 2) [Qty 1] As you may have gathered, I'm fixing / upgrading a system for a friend and...
  18. Terry Kennedy

Post a pic of your cat

Since we have a dog picture thread, I figure we need a cat picture thread too. Although, as the saying goes, "Dogs have owners, cats have staff", so maybe "your cat" isn't quite accurate. :) Here is Tiger: 2007: 2016: Lots more pictures (and story) here.
  19. Terry Kennedy

SOLD (NYC): Ubiquiti Edgerouter Pro

Sold (finally!) I am selling a Ubiquiti Edgerouter Pro. This is the 8-port top-of-the-line model as seen here. This unit was rack-mounted for testing but never put into production (I'm using a Cisco ASR1001 instead). All original packaging and accessories are included, along with the original...
  20. Terry Kennedy

SOLD: Set of 7 Hitachi 450GB 10K 2.5 SAS 6GB/S Hard Drive HDD 0B25856 HUC106045CSS601

These have now been sold. Thanks for reading! If you missed the "Great Deals" thread on these spinners, I have 7 that I purchased and ran for a brief period of time before deciding to use SSDs instead. These are in the original seller's excellent packaging, come in sealed anti-static bags, and...