Search results

1. J

SuperMicro IPMI BIOS Updating - License needed?

If memory serves you also need some kind of activation server or management app or something, right?
  2. J

Intel Xeon D-1500 Series Discussion

That's the version I installed. I did tell it to preserve though so I'll try resetting the one box that has the warning. Oh, and FYI, still no 10Gbe NICs under vSphere 6.0U1. I haven't put any more time into getting the newer drivers to compile and given that I now have a daughter (8 days old)...
  3. J

Not for me it didn't.
  4. J

For SuperMicro, yes...
  5. J

1 out of 3 boards, yes. The voltage in vSphere doesn't match the IPMI card on any of them.
  6. J

Production? I wouldn't want a single point of failure, even an expensive one.
  7. J

best used DC SSD?

I'd probably go with a 100GB Intel DC S3700. They're rated for 10 drive writes per day and have very consistent performance.
  8. J

I have a vCenter 6 server up and running now. This took a ridiculous amount of time because it kept erroring out on me (I think I did the install 14 or 15 times). vCSA is REALLY picky about DNS settings, and there's a bug in the installer that results in it failing EVERY time if you try and...
  9. J

vSphere 6.0 detects NVMe drive as "Parallel SCSI"

Nope, not needed any more. It comes up and shows as an available data store, it's just tagged as Parallel SCSI.
  10. J

I would have preferred SFP+ as well, but I'll take what I can get.
  11. J

vSphere 6.0 detects NVMe drive as "Parallel SCSI"

I just finished installing vSphere 6.0 on my new lab hosts and it's detecting my Intel 750 NVMe SSDs as "Parallel SCSI". Any ideas on how to fix that?
  12. J

Getting closer... http://i.imgur.com/U50N0Gh.jpg
  13. J

Bifurcation is an option buried in the BIOS. I haven't tested it because my rider and care are for a single card. Why would you need 4x more 1gbe ports when it already has 2x 1gbe and 2x 10gbe? What are you planning on doing with this board?
  14. J

The holder was part of the kit, so I don't know for sure. SuperMicro's site says: Fan Cage MCP-320-81302-0B 40x28mm fan holder (may order two for dual fan configuration) ... But I'm not sure that this is correct since I'm pretty sure that it's actually a single piece in my case. I think...
  15. J

Yeah, this isn't actually a very well designed barebones. No airflow in the right side may limit expansion cards, no airflow through the PSU (thanks to the giant jumble of wires in front) will make it run hotter, and no airflow over the RAM when I'm using 32GB DIMMs is a bit scary. I was...
  16. J

8C is designed for 1U servers because there's no CPU fan.
  17. J

No idea, I haven't powered them on yet. There's a fan under the shroud which ducts air across the CPU. EDIT: Just powered one up. Not loud but a fairly irritating tone. Not sure if it's the PSU or CPU fan. EDIT #2: Back from dinner. No fan settings in the BIOS, IPMI settings are as low as...
  18. J

They're Intel 750 400GB. Mildly. These will be in my basement which is pretty cool but there is zero airflow on that side of the case.
  19. J

That's because they're largely the same. The controller is built in to the SoC. All that is missing is the X557 PHY, physical ports, and a $0.15 heatsink.
  20. J

SM X10SDV USB Controllers (which is which?)

Ah, ok. I've never used unRAID.