Search results

1. R

UPS to server connections

You have answered the question I was seeking an answer to. I am going to be building a shed and want to run 240 volts (with 2 hot legs) to it. I want to do so only because I only have 50 amps of each leg as a budget between my home-shed and the server-shed (I live at a campground, so everything...
  2. R

Constant nvidia driver troubles on Ubuntu

Every time I reboot my drivers get all messed up. I can't even remember anymore what I do to fix it, which is only temporary until I may need to shutdown or reboot. It's the driver/library version mismatch. I don't even know where to start. Can anyone help me to get this issue solved once and...
  3. R

SuperMicro X13SWA-TF W690 LGA-4677 Sapphire Rapids

It's not about size, it's about application. Server boards have RAM slots front to back, and workstation boards have them bottom to top. For good reason. And I've heard of W chips working in server boards. They're not guaranteed to work, and firmware updates may break them working. Intel used to...
  4. R

You're free to try using a server board in a workstation if you want. And yeah, there is huge price difference between the SP line and the W line. Different lineups of CPUs and motherboards exist for a reason...
  5. R

That's gonna be in a future build of mine. Probably when those processors are like 2 generations old. Specs are a bit off here. It uses the W790 chipset, not the W690. The six x16 PCIe slots are 5.0, not 4.0. And four 5.0 M.2 slots, not only three. Ethernet is one 10gb port and one 1gb port...
  6. R

They really need to start making "<insert subject here> for Dummies" books again

I wound up getting a UDM-Pro. Each person is going to have their own AP with their own SSID. So far, I've provisioned a few APs at home with a short fiber jumper plugged into the port they will use. All works. The issue was the 10g SPF+ LAN port on the UDM-Pro needed to be set from LAN (vlan1)...
  7. R

They really need to start making "<insert subject here> for Dummies" books again

I can't get this to work. It's all complete nonsense to me. I really don't think what I'm trying to do is even possible. I can follow whatever guides I want, it's still nonsense and it doesn't work.
  8. R

Can someone help me with this please?
  9. R

Sanity Check: Advice on Next Server Steps

960GB Optane drives.
  10. R

Doh, I missed the Aggregation Pro. Just wish Ubiquiti would delve into the "quad" ports (QSFP+,28,56,etc.). I suppose they're going to have to eventually. SFP56 and SFP56-DD seem quite niche.
  11. R

I am here looking to hire help with this.
  12. R

If Ubiquiti made switches that had cage ports on them instead of RJ45 (as the main ports, I know they make them with SFP/+/25 for the trunks), this would be easy. But they don't. I don't even see ho w I'd accomplish even reaching anything with this router of mine. I don't see a way to create...
  13. R

I thought my question was pretty simple, and aspects such as my internet speed, Plex things, and number of users isn't relevant to any of this. I just need to know how to segregate these networks but pass through a specific range of ports to make my server appear local with Plex. I don't really...
  14. R

I don't learn that way. I learn by copying others with them explaining what's happening. I can't just do stuff on my own from written material. I am a tenant of a campground and their own "free WiFi" is awful, so people ask me to tap into mine. I have my own internet access. I already have the...
  15. R

I don't see anything advanced in the TOC. Regardless, I'd rather pay someone to do what I need for me.
  16. R

I am going to be serving internet to people where I live and I want to segregate them from each other and from me. They will all have a fiber link to my Brocade switch's SFP+ ports, and on their end is a media converter and Unifi AP. I want them to be able to access my server on my network, but...
  17. R

Okay. So this is what I have that works: MCP-220-82619-0N NVMe kit (fits 826 chassises) MCP-220-83608-0N SATA/SAS kit (fits 836 chassises) AOC-SLG3-2E4T Retimer card 2 OcuLink cables The BPN-NVMe3-826N-B2B backplane from the NVMe kit fits the SATA/SAS kit's cage. It screwed right on and the...
  18. R

I haven't forgotten about this thread. Shipping times are outrageous right now and the cage won't be here until Monday March 6th. It will probably wind up getting scheduled to come the next day on the 7th, the way my packages have been coming lately.
  19. R

I ordered one yesterday (Saturday). I am pretty sure it will fit the NVMe backplane. I cut apart the 82619 (for 826 cases) up to try to make it fit and it doesn't really. I got it to slide in enough to work temporarily until the 83608 comes. I'll try to snap photos of some stuff then.