Search results

1. V

Small scale colocation experience in SF Bay Area

I am considering renting some 3U rack space to operate a server + 1G connection. So I am looking for a vendor that's priced fairly for small scale renting. Security will be very important. And the budget is under $300/month. Never had any colocation or server renting experience. Any...
  2. V

16 Sockets for $840 + free shipping

SUPERMICRO FATWIN F618R2-RC0PT+ 4U 8NODE 48SFF CTO W/HS TRAY PSU X10DRFR-NT | eBay 2 left. Too heavy for me. But if you have enough space and solar power...
  3. V

SuperMicro 826 chassis: how to replace pdu

I bought a sc826 case from a recent deal. But it turns out the pdu is bad. Does anybody have experience replacing a pdu in a supermicro case? Do I need to take off the whole power supply cage on the right? I have looked for videos on youtube but couldn't find any. Also the cheapest...
  4. V

X10DRH-CT + 2xE5-2680 v3 not powering on

Moved from a 3u 836 case to a 2u 826 case. And the board no longer power on, either from power button or IPMI. IPMI is running ok. The BMC green led is flashing. Front panel is connected correctly since I can let the led to blink. I tried switching power supply and it didn't help. Clearing...
  5. V

Eaton EMA111-10 $77+shipping

This is similar to the EMA106-10 that was discussed last year. Except this is 120V only and uses regular 5-15R sockets. EATON EMA111-10 EPDU MA 21U-C IN: 5-15P 12A 1P OUT: 8X5-15R - New | eBay $60 was accepted by the seller and shipping to SF area was $30. It came as new including all...
  6. V

Networking skill requirement for IT managers

A friend of mine is looking for a competent IT manager for his company of about 30 but growing fast. They do about 50% hardware and 50% software development. He has asked me for some advice on some job skill requirements/interview questions. For me the most difficult part is how to draft...
  7. V

E7 8891 v4 10C - $69 OBO

This is the frequency optimized version of E7 v4: 2.8GHz base and 3.5G max turbo 60M L3 cache. It's a decent price if you have a E7 barebone lying around. Here is the link: E7 8891 V4 Seller accepted $50 for 4. Not too bad for $200 you get 40 broadwell HF cores. I know E7 systems are very...
  8. V

APD events in datastore monitor after migration

I recently migrated two hgst sas3 ssd drives from on old server running VMware 7.00 to another server running 7.01. I keep seeing APD timeout messages about twice a day. In addition to timeout warnings I also see a few pairs of entering and exiting APD state messages. I haven't seen...
  9. V

Question About Samsung memory: M393A1G40DB1-CRC (DDR4-2400T)

The newer production model is M393A1G40EB1-CRC (8GB). The DB1 sticks are EOL but can be had about $10 cheaper than the EB1 sticks. Does anyone know of any issue with the DB1 sticks?
  10. V

Question about a Intel P3700

I bought a P3700 from ebay and here is part of the smartctl output: SMART/Health Information (NVMe Log 0x02) Critical Warning: 0x00 Temperature: 28 Celsius Available Spare: 100% Available Spare Threshold: 10% Percentage Used...
  11. V

GFCI: what do you do when a fault is triggered

In the US, it's mandatory to use GFCI outlet in the garage. Used server/switch power supplies seem to be very prone to trigger faults on my 20A GFCI outlet.. In all cases if I plug them into old non-GFCI 15A outlet everything is fine. What do you do in this case: move to non-GFCI and...
  12. V

Arista 7050Q-16 DAC compatibility

Just got an arista switch off an auction. After factory reset I connected a no-name QSFP DAC it gives: XcvrAgent: %TRANSCEIVER-3-DISABLED: The transceiver for interface Ethernet5 has been disabled because it is not qualified. (manufacturer Molex Inc. model 112-00178 serial number 309521593) Are...
  13. V

Dumbest mistake ever

I just replaced my broken 836tq backplane. I then got back to my room and remotely started the server. Now everything went ok at first until about 10 min in VMWare suddenly complained about losing storage connections. It seems all datastores connected to the on board lsi3108 controller has...
  14. V

Guide for using Niagara 4.3 to set 12g speed in firmware limited HGST sas3 drives

This guide is for people who either don't understand firmware manual (like me) or simply don't have time to dig through the long Niagara software guide to find the answers. I simply stole the idea from jcl333 who posted his solution on Windows in the Deals section. The tests were run on a...
  15. V

700lbs of servers in $700

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254743208340 It should be 4u instead of 3u and 4x E7-4880 v2 each. Note that HP 1500w PSU is only for 200-240V. Anyone here dare to bid on it? Group buy anybody?
  16. V

Cable for HP 824019-001 NVME Bridge Controller Board

I am having trouble locating the part number for a HP cable that connects the HP 824019-001 nvme controller. The controller has 3 ports that can drive 6 nvme pcie x4 drives. So each cable should be able to carry 8 lanes of pcie signals. It can work in a Dl580 g9 that connects with a expander...