Search results

1. V

Small scale colocation experience in SF Bay Area

That's cheaper than I expected! 42U is way overkill. But security wise maybe it's easier to manage for the vendor? I would imagine it's difficult to be able to lock the cabinet separately by racks. I will do some research on HE. Splitting the rack would also be a great idea. Thanks!
  2. V

Small scale colocation experience in SF Bay Area

I am considering renting some 3U rack space to operate a server + 1G connection. So I am looking for a vendor that's priced fairly for small scale renting. Security will be very important. And the budget is under $300/month. Never had any colocation or server renting experience. Any...
  3. V

Supermicro X10SRH-CLN4F BIOS power settings for VMware

Does anybody have good settings for this board with low idle power consumption? I don't care that much of peak performance. I am using a E5-2630L OS is ESXi 7.03 Thanks
  4. V

SM CSE 826 sweet deal

Can this work with X11 or EPYC boards?
  5. V

16 Sockets for $840 + free shipping

SUPERMICRO FATWIN F618R2-RC0PT+ 4U 8NODE 48SFF CTO W/HS TRAY PSU X10DRFR-NT | eBay 2 left. Too heavy for me. But if you have enough space and solar power...
  6. V

SuperMicro 826 chassis: how to replace pdu

I bought a sc826 case from a recent deal. But it turns out the pdu is bad. Does anybody have experience replacing a pdu in a supermicro case? Do I need to take off the whole power supply cage on the right? I have looked for videos on youtube but couldn't find any. Also the cheapest...
  7. V

X10DRH-CT + 2xE5-2680 v3 not powering on

OK I put it back into the 836 case and it's powering on. Since I switched PSU earlier, it most likely is the problem of the PDB on the 826.
  8. V

Did a motherboard reseat and it still has the problem. I used to have cpu bent pin on another motherboard but it can still power on. Just no boot. For this one there is no click or fan spin at all. Which is weird.
  9. V

Yeah, but I was very meticulous about it, making sure that there were 9 standoffs matching the nine screws.
  10. V

Moved from a 3u 836 case to a 2u 826 case. And the board no longer power on, either from power button or IPMI. IPMI is running ok. The BMC green led is flashing. Front panel is connected correctly since I can let the led to blink. I tried switching power supply and it didn't help. Clearing...
  11. V

Eaton EMA111-10 $77+shipping

Yes accurate to .1A and also have cumulative power use data for each socket.
  12. V

I used the "contact seller" link to directly ask the seller for a shipping quote and he then asked me for the zip code.. After I provided they updated the shipping code on the offer link. With this way there is a risk that if the shipping cost is too high and you don't want to make the purchase...
  13. V

I submitted the offer first and the seller accepted and then I sent a request for shipping quote. Thats how it went for me.
  14. V

This is similar to the EMA106-10 that was discussed last year. Except this is 120V only and uses regular 5-15R sockets. EATON EMA111-10 EPDU MA 21U-C IN: 5-15P 12A 1P OUT: 8X5-15R - New | eBay $60 was accepted by the seller and shipping to SF area was $30. It came as new including all...
  15. V

How to administer Asus GT-AX11000 when in AP mode?

In case you are not aware, letting your LAN exposed to outside is extremely unsafe, even for a short time. You would be surprised to know how much port scanning is going on in the wild over there.
  16. V

How to administer Asus GT-AX11000 when in AP mode?

If you switched to AP mode with DHCP client on (normally it's automatically on when you switch to AP mode), then you can get the IP address from your DHCP server.
  17. V

Confusion around MLNX-OS and Mellanox Support Contract

https://www.mellanox.com/support/firmware/lenovo-archive now this is the link to an nvidia site. After you get there you need to find a “switch” section and scrolling down you may find what you need.
  18. V

5019D-FN8TP-X11SDV-4C-TP8F New in Box $500

What's the best usage scenario for this? It's too expensive for a pfsense router, and too small for storage or AIO server (only 4 sff)...
  19. V

5019D-FN8TP-X11SDV-4C-TP8F New in Box $500

Any idea on idle power consumption for this?
  20. V

Networking skill requirement for IT managers

A friend of mine is looking for a competent IT manager for his company of about 30 but growing fast. They do about 50% hardware and 50% software development. He has asked me for some advice on some job skill requirements/interview questions. For me the most difficult part is how to draft...