Search results

1. D

Debian zfs-dkms: Bad Scrub?

That is good advice. Thank you.
  2. D

I am not sure how to interpret. root@nas:/tank# zpool get all | grep feature tank feature@async_destroy enabled local tank feature@empty_bpobj active local tank...
  3. D

When the motherboard died on my normally off, home NAS running OmniOS stable with Napp-it, I swapped in an “incompatible”, consumer motherboard. “Incompatible” means that OmniOS would not boot and would not reinstall even when using a USB2 port with correct BIOS CSM settings. I then installed...
  4. D

The Intel Atom C2000 Series Bug – Why it is so quiet

Has Supermicro provided any guidance beyond the standard RMA procedure for possible warranty issues? Is an extended warranty possible or likely for affected motherboards? Is it possible to speculate whether the bug is more susceptible to 24/7 operations vs normally off operation with daily, or...
  5. D

Omnios- Napp-it: TLS Compiler Issue

Perfect answer. I installed the developer environment (DevEnv), finished the TLS install and TLS mail tests good. Thank you.
  6. D

Omnios- Napp-it: TLS Compiler Issue

I follow the current instructions at napp-it // webbased ZFS NAS/SAN appliance for OmniOS, OpenIndiana, Solaris and Linux : Downloads, but I have an issue configuring TLS email on updated Omnios stable (omnios-bed3013) with Napp-it. The second step notest install Net::SSLeay reports...
  7. D

OpenIndiana 2016.10

Gea: thank you. I just read Patrick's excellent guide to boot drives and a pair of used 40 GB Intel 320's sounds perfect for my use case. My case has adequate room for Velcro sticky tape attachment. Another benefit is that I can then use OmniOS which, I believe, is a preferred support...
  8. D

OpenIndiana 2016.10

By way of clarification, 8 3TB drive gives gross array size of 24 TB or 18TB net of parity loss in Z2. Does the rule of thumb suggesting a GB of DRAM per TB of storage apply to gross or net array size?
  9. D

OpenIndiana 2016.10

I misspoke in saying Z3 when I intended to say Z2. I am not familiar with Solarus terminology. The backup server also has a 16 GB Supermicro SATA DOM which is smaller than the OpenIndiana minimum specification of 20 GB and lacks redundancy. That is why I was drawn to (but misunderstood) the...
  10. D

OpenIndiana 2016.10

I have a normally off, headless, home backup server with a Supermicro Xeon C2558 motherboard and 8 WD 3 TB Red drives. Based on advice from the mailing list re known bugs, I recently downgraded the array from BTRFS RAID6 to RAID1. Does OpenIndiana support a ZFS Z3 array on the Xeon C2558...
  11. D

Forum for linux virtualization?

I wish it were so, but I do not think community support is strong enough to let a KVM forum succeed. I recall a thread a year or two ago asking if anyone used KVM. It was never answered. I plan to use KVM to dynamically load a windows VM acting as a DVR, a PCI-e tuner is in transit. Linux...
  12. D

need help with finding af new raid controller

From a diagnostic perspective, I am uncomfortable that you did not first actually use tler.exe, or whatever, to verify your current card is broken vs that your WD Reds are misconfigured.
  13. D

Live USB for Ubuntu storage node?

Live? The boot USB in my home Debian Archival Server is formatted using ext4. I selected ext4 when I installed Debian on the USB. Ubuntu should work the same. I had to select LILO rather than grub to install a boot loader on the USB. Some things on a live USB are different and may cause...
  14. D

Intel Avoton C2750 Benchmarks - Supermicro A1SAi-2750F

RAID 6 Performance? For home NAS/Archival Server use, I am curious how many cores Avoton requires to support what RAID 6 parity calculation speed? Can 8 cores properly feed the 2.5GbE (or 4 x 2.5GbE)? What RAID 6 parity calculation speed can 2 or 4 cores support? This was a prior generation...
  15. D

EBay: Gently used IBM BR10i w/out Bracket $35

EBay prices for IBM M5014 may be firming. I picked up a gently used IBM BR10i off EBay for $35 (no bracket). It is a blast from the past, but for my home archival storage server populated by WD Reds, I can live with that. As of this writting, he has 2 more at IBM ServeRAID BR10I PCI E 8...
  16. D

Anyone try the Intel NUC?

I ordered a DC3217IYE NUC when I accepted that Linux support for the graphics on my Cedar Trail motherboard was not adequate. My two issues are that I am unable to access the BIOS (F2 key is recognized but processed incorrectly) and the 1.35v Samsung DRAM I bought did not work. I use the NUC...
  17. D

RAID/HBA controller recommendations

I share you interest in something like RAID6 on 3 TB WD Reds for redundant storage with ok home performance. I am waiting to see what Briarwood look like next quarter. It is a Xeon branded Atom 32 nm Bonnell dual core with hardware support for RAID parity checking and many PCIe lanes. It...
  18. D

Intel Atom S1200 Series Centerton

Was there any hint regarding availability of motherboards for the DIY market? I see home S1240 use as a robust firewall/router, various network servers, P2P daemon host, with light file server/streaming duties. Is it too early to issue a "Possible Incoming Hottie Alert" for Briarwood...
  19. D

Create NFS Share in napp-it?

I want to "kick napp-it's tires" so I installed nappit and Openindiana server on my retired Dimension 2400 (Pentium 4 without hyperthreading). The OI install, pkg update and nappit install went fine but I can not figure out how to create a mountable NFS share using my /export/home/dea...