Search results

1. U

Cisco UCS Server Rizer Compatibility | Use two rizers of type one | How bad is this idea?

TLDR: Is it possible to use Rizers labeled "Rizer 1" in the Rizer 2 spot with Cisco UCS C240 M4 Servers? I got a bunch of Cisco C240 M4 servers (some branded M4, some M4SX and some BE7000H) but they are all basically the same regarding the pcie setup. Originally you could order all three of...
  2. U

Supermicro X11SPI-TF Mainboard Networking gets a little warm

Is it normal that it goes to about 75°C while mostly idle with two 10G connection plugged in? It is below some pcie expansion cards but general airflow isnt terrible ether. As far as i am aware it is bellow the little heatsink next to the first pcie slot, does it need a repast / new thermalpad...
  3. U

CPU & Mainboard for high power opnsense router

My isp is hopefully upgrading my connection within the next couple weeks (10 to 25g) so i will have to replace my firewall. I already looked into tsnr, vyos, openwrt and routeros but i settled on OPNSense for a lot of reasons. I am fully aware that opnsense / pfsense is not going to be able to...
  4. U

100G NIC for cheap, where is the catch? | Lenovo branded Intel QSFP28 NIC 00WE029

I just stumbled over an ebay listing for some Lenovo OEM 100g networking cards for around ~60$, its from a quite big / known european seller so i dont think they are counterfeit. They are listed as Lenovo Intel Nic PN 00WE029 (and PN 00WE025 for an even cheaper pcie x8 version) Are those...
  5. U

LGA3647 CPU plastic clips where to get

Anyone knows where to get replacement plastic clips / mounting that is used to attach the cpu to the cooler? Got a couple used coolers but they came without them. Preferably in the eu, only thing i found is an ali listing for over 30€ / piece. https://de.aliexpress.com/item/4000593729901.html
  6. U

Recommendations for Retrofitted U2 hotswap bays

So whats your thought on U2 hotswap bays that can fit in 5.25" slots? The only ones i found in the western markets where the ones from icy dock for over 400€ for 4x 2.5" U2 which is crazy expensive. After i bit of looking around those on aliexpress 88.24US $ |Zhenloong 4 Bay U.2 Nvme Ssd Hot...
  7. U

Best way to connect / retrofit U2 drives

So this is hopefully going to finalize the storage setup for a new hypervisor. The system is going to have 4 U2 drives but the board doesnt have any slim sas connectors / native support, so i will need to connect them via a pcie x16 gen3 slot. Options: PCIE x16 Card to 4x SFF-8643 connector >...
  8. U

M2 SSD - PCIE Version effect on IOPS

I am currently looking for drives for an upcoming proxmox server build. So it is going to be mostly random read / write and not a lot of sequential. One option would be to go with "normal" m2 ssds on a pcie riser. The server is pcie gen3 and now i am thinking about just going with gen4 drives...
  9. U

Why do U2 drives use so much power compared to M2?

So have been looking for drives for an upcoming (somewhat power consumption oriented) project and literally all u2 drives are between 15w and 25w each, i am planing to use 4-6 drives for redundancy that would be over 100w in ssds at load! M2 on the other hand with comparable specs (tbw, nand...
  10. U

Is there a way to reflash / reset the ipmi on supermicro boards without ipmi web access and system boot

So i am currently in the process of troubleshooting a supermicro X11Spi-TF and trying to at least get access to the ipmi for further informations / error logs. The system doesnt boot (power led green, fans spin, no beep codes, no screen output or post, doesnt react to short power button press...
  11. U

EU [WTB & FS] Xeon E5v4 | Ryzen 8 core | NVME U2 1.6tb Drives | Caddies for Netapp & Cisco | & more

Welcome on my WTB & FS Post General Information regarding all listings bellow Shipping to / from Switzerland or Austria Preferred couriers DHL, GLS or FedEx Preferred shipping within EU, specially DACH Region Can do international shipping if the price is right Can provide shipping label...
  12. U

ZFS Replacing Disk with same Disk (after cable failure)

So what happened was basically a cable connecting a single disk of a raidz2 pool failed, the disk is 100% ok and i replaced the cable, but zfs still shows it as faulted. The data on the disk is also probably out of sync since it was disconnected for several hours and data was written to the...
  13. U

Supermicro Reset IPMI via jumper possible?

Just got a board i bought from ebay (Supermicro X11SPi-TF), but it doesnt get an ip address, it shows up in the router via mac address but it doesnt get anything assigned, i tried putting it in multiple different subnet areas and tried all three network ports but no luck so far. Also the vga...
  14. U

Your thoughts on storage solution for Hypervisor (U2 vs SAS)

So i am building a new system but not sure what to use for storage. What i am looking for: 6 - 8tb usable space min 250k iops read & write, preferably ~400k under 40w for all drives (and hba if required) 1 drive parity / redundancy 1pb+ endurance per drive one pcie x16 3.0 slot for connection...
  15. U

EU [WTB] Intertech 4u 4129N Case

I am currently looking for a case for an upcoming project. Preferably an Intertech 4129N (not L Version). Located in central europe dach region, but would be willing to ship within the EU. thx :)
  16. U

Experiences with PCIe to SFF-8643 adapters | Retrofitting Servers with U2

Whats your opinion on those kinda cheap pcie to 8643 or oculink cards like this one? https://www.amazon.com/PCIe-SFF-8643-Adapter-U-2-SSD/dp/B09KRNCH16 They are only 30$ and would allow me to connect 4 u2 drives (probably raid z1 or 10) to some of my supermicro x10 and x11 servers that would...
  17. U

EU [W] 4u Server Chassis ~300€

Currently looking for a case for an upcoming server build around 300€ Must have 4u (also on the inside, bc i already have a 4u cpu cooler) 4+ 2.5" nvme hotswap bays OR an empty 5.25" slot Decent Rails available for purchase (full slideout, nothing flimsy like from intertech) Fit standard ATX...
  18. U

LGA 3647 CPU cooler advice

Hi, so i am currently building a new homeserver (1x xeon silver 4108 and SM X11DPI-NT) but not sure if i need a lga 3647 narrow or square cooler. My case is a 4u Intertech case with two "normal" 120mm 1200rpm fans in the front (no high airflow server fans) Any recommendations for the cooler? it...
  19. U

Do A12 rails fit on the dell r320

So i got a r320 laying around on the floor since a couple months now, it was very cheap and wanted to do some testing on it but it didnt came with rails. i am looking for rails since then but all of them that mentioned r320 where very expensive (100€+) I found a quite cheap listing for a12 rails...
  20. U

Looking for an efficient CPU+MB

Hi, so i am looking for a cpu/mb for over two weeks now, but there is just so much to choose from and i dont want to buy sth i regret when its too late. I am currently planing a home server that will handle everything that needs to be on 24/7 (cctv, nextcloud, HA) to be able to switch my main...