Search results

1. Q

Equallogic Type 10 Firmware

Responding to old thread but someone might find useful.
  2. Q

VMware Xeon W-2145 support

Thinking of building a SMB server using the Skylake based Xeon Workstation chips. So the Xeon W-2145 8C chip. Application is going to be a small number of users on an app that isn't particularly well setup for threading. So it's one of those old style apps that doesn't respond well to...
  3. Q

Dell T440 looks like a fail to me

Well lets just push Dell to the side on this one. Perhaps the EMC guys convinced them that they will sell more expensive arrays by shipping last gen specs. I see Lenovo ST550 might be an option: Preconfigured SKU 7X10A04FNA with 4110 silver CPU and 16x 2.5 slots looks like a good start...
  4. Q

Dell T440 looks like a fail to me

So I'm looking for a good small business priced next gen server platform. Something kinda straddling between entry level and high performance models. I generally like to go with a "Tier 1" manufacturer like Dell for SMB use. I know I can usually find a bit cheaper and more targeted solutions...
  5. Q

Enterprise SSD Shortage

Yeah, Amazon 3rd party sellers. Kinda similar to ebay in many ways these days. I'm in Canada so it cuts down on some possibilities as not everyone will ship here and some that do inflate their shipping. Crazy times. Reminds me of the HDD shortages about 9 years back but it seems worse...
  6. Q

What do you do w/ your old hard disks for disposal

I have 2 stacks. Drives that have been erased already and ones I will erase. Dead ones usually get a "physical" DBAN on a laptop with some USB adapters. Usually this is done during some long boring task on a weekend like updating servers remotely and likely involves binging some bad netflix...
  7. Q

Enterprise SSD Shortage

So we are building a server for backups. It contains mostly the huge 10TB Seagate SAS drives that recently started to finally ship. (The ones announced last spring but only ever shipped to Amazon/Google/Microsoft Azure) Parts are on the way, but there is one item on backorder and it's been...
  8. Q

Will this adapter 2.5 -3.5 adapter work with SM trays?

I just buy the correct supermicro trays that take 2.5" drives. Then you get fully supported connection. The only adapters I found that are reliable are from icy dock. The cheaper ones I bought from Silverstone are junk. Good: MB882SP-1S-2B_2.5" to 3.5" SSD Converters_CONVERSION KITS_ICY...
  9. Q

X10SDV-4C-7TP4F Post Code 00

Move it to the other pair of slots. You probably have it plugged into the secondary bank slots or one in each. Forget which colour is which, but one pair is blue and the other is black. Make sure you plug your pairs into the same colour of slot not one in the blue and one in black. For some...
  10. Q

Intel Xeon D-1500 Series Discussion

The 0Q at the end of the part number is different. Here is a slightly out of date guide on the Samsung part numbers http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/html/common/file/support/part_number_decoder/DDR3_SDRAM_Module.pdf It does not have the current DDR4 numbering scheme but...
  11. Q

SBS 2011 Server Veeam backup fail

I fight with this on a semi-regular basis with a similar backup system that relies on windows VSS. Every now and then the system reserved partition gets full. Usually some temporary file or log file that is created by that particular app has gone and chewed up all the space in this tiny hidden...
  12. Q

Startech 42U adjustable depth (4POSTRACK42)

Late reply, but I think I can comment. Startech racks are ok. I like the tripp-lite ones a bit better but it's not really going to make much difference when we are talking a simple open frame. Usually it's a matter of what is in stock with reasonable delivery. 600Kg will break your floor...