Search results

1. C

VLANs with Ruckus APs, ICX6610, OPNSense

Thanks. So no messing with dual-mode needed? What's on your 1/1/9? And for that matter, how come all your other ports don't appear in the VLAN list (e.g. 1/1/23) - presumably they're part of VLAN 1? Just trying to wrap my head round this!
  2. C

VLANs with Ruckus APs, ICX6610, OPNSense

Hi all, Hoping for some pointers on setting up my network. Below is were I would like to get to, before setting up firewall rules for inter-VLAN routing - to come at a later date. Current physical setup is a bunch of Ruckus unleashed APs wired into an ICX6610, which has a 10GbE link to an...
  3. C

9300-8i, Proxmox, only one disk showing

So, I've made two steps forward, and then two steps backwards. See above, the NVMe drive was spurious (I forgot I'd added it to the system). I've got the drives on and spinning (or powered, in the case of SSDs). Regardless of which drives I plug in, and into which of the HBA ports, I can only...
  4. C

Powering SAS drives

Thanks all. Connecting the SATA power cables worked. No issues with PWDIS, seemingly - all spin up.
  5. C

Powering SAS drives

This is an unbelievably basic question, but my Google-Fu is letting me down. With these connectors on SAS3 drives (going back to an SFF-8643 and HBA), do I need to also/separately connect power? If yes, how?
  6. C

Thanks, those look very helpful - now, and for working through things in the future
  7. C

Well then, I've no clue what that drive is! [E: ohh, yes I do - a drive I threw in at the last minute] Just ran sas3ircu display, and seems no devices are detected at all. Top post edited with output
  8. C

Not 100% sure where this topic lies, so sorry if it's in the wrong subforum After lots of "fun" attempting to flash a PERC H330 to IT mode, I gave up, and flashed an IBM LSI SAS9302-8i instead. Fresh install of Proxmox, all updated, OS sees the HBA, but only one of the eight disks attached to...
  9. C

USB3.2x2 10GbE adapters

While it'd be nice if manufacturers actually stuck to specifications, as you note, most don't. I found an imperfect solution in the form of a PCIe x1 card with a switch chip that will at least let both TPUs be used, even if it transpires it's not at 100% capacity: Dual Edge TPU Adapter - PCIe...
  10. C

RAM - mismatched or identical

Thanks. Why 2x32 over 4x16?
  11. C

RAM - mismatched or identical

I currently have 2x16GB DDR4 in my NAS/server, and am considering adding more RAM. Is it preferable to have 4x16GB DDR4 or 2x16GB and 2x32GB? The latter is bigger, clearly, but are there reasons to opt for lower capacity?
  12. C

Z690 do-it-all box

Ok, worked it through. Ditching the SLOG altogether, moving to async writes, avoiding NFS shares, and maxing out RAM to use ARC and/or RAMDISK instead. Risk is that I lose the last 10s or so of data written in the event of a power out - but those are very rare here plus there's a UPS online...
  13. C

Z690 do-it-all box

Ok, so refining the question a bit. After some reshuffling, I have one PCIe 3 x4 slot, and two PCIe 3 x1 slots available. Into these, I would like to fit a DC P3600 SLOG, and a 10 or 40Gb/s NIC. For the uses described above, does it make more sense to compromise the SLOG on a x1 slot, or the...
  14. C

USB3.2x2 10GbE adapters

Thanks. That superuser post answers it for me. For anyone else in future: Because of overheads, 10GbE over USB looks more like 6Gb/s, so manufacturers just make cheaper 5GbE adapters Additionally, USB controllers >10Gb/s tend to be bottlenecked upstream by PCIe
  15. C

USB3.2x2 10GbE adapters

Already have the mobo, so that's a nonstarter unfortunately...making the best of this hamfisted attempt! Could indeed ditch SAS HBA. Will have to have a think. Any sense moving the SLOG to PCIe3 x1 and drop the QSFP NIC into the PCIe PCIe x4? I've never used a SLOG before so have no sense of...
  16. C

Z690 do-it-all box

Building out a do-it-all box for home, would appreciate some advice/thoughts on the below. Mainly, how can I squeeze a QSFP 40G (or at least SFP 10G) NIC in there and not be crippled by bandwidth bottlenecking at PCIe/IO stage?! Edit: Uses to be VMs (Nextcloud, Prometheus, InfluxDB, Grafana...
  17. C

USB3.2x2 10GbE adapters

Very simply, are there any?! Asking as I'm trying to juggle the limited expansion options on a Z690 motherboard. Posting current plan below (also going in DIY/Builds) for ease of reference, as I'm very open to any other ideas in terms of reshuffling what is where in order to squeeze a 10 or...
  18. C

8 drive ZFS vdevs?

This right here is what I hate about these choices! I thought this was probably the case too, but @Rand__ re-sowed the seed of doubt I thought I had pinched out! Until I am using it, I won't know whether it's fast enough. So I guess that means my question becomes - which is easier, converting...
  19. C

8 drive ZFS vdevs?

Given it will be used by the whole family, I'd say chances are that parallel read writes to the HDDs will not be uncommon... Leaning heavily towards mirrors and keeping my life simple!
  20. C

ICX6610 40gbe breakout port to 40gbe NIC

Cheers. Will plan accordingly!