Search results

1. A

NetApp and QSFP SFF-8436

Why does NetApp use the SFF-8436 connector instead of the more common SFF-8088? Is there a SAS host adapter with it? Bought a DS2246 and the connectors looked OK... until I actually tried hooking it up. :(
  2. A

Dysfunctional LSI 9285-8e

Thanks for all the help even though it couldn't do much with the most likely dead card. I filed for return last night and was refunded this morning, and the seller doesn't even wants the card back!! The card came with a BBU, which is most certainly worth more than the cost of shipping it back.
  3. A

EMC (Seagate Constellation) 2 TB SAS drives are "blocked"

That may very well be, and I'll be getting another SAS adapter soon that supposed to have manufacturer supplied IT firmware. Hopefully, that will allow me to reformat the HDDs. I plan to use HW Raid6 with my STL3, so I would rather leave the H810 alone.
  4. A

I don't think it's a fake card, but it could be defective in a number of ways such as ESD. I don't know how hot they supposed to get, but the heatsink gets a bit hotter than I would consider healthy. If I can't get it to work within a day or two, I'll start the return process. Attached are...
  5. A

Thanks, I'll take a look at those when I get home. The 9285--8E was a good enough deal that I would rather fix it if possible.
  6. A

Thanks for your reply, but this is more than just a sector size difference. I hooked up one of the drives to a Perc 6/i with an appropriate cable -- the HA sees it, but also "blocked" in its setup menu. When I run "sg_scan" it does not show the 2 TB EMC drive, meaning that the Perc 6/i...
  7. A

I've got a bunch of EMC 2 TB SAS drives with PS0C firmware and an old 15 bay EMC VNX enclosure for them. My problem is that the drives in the enclosure are not recognized as usable by my Dell H810 adapter -- they show up as "Blocked", and so I can't do anything with them. For testing, I put a...
  8. A

I got a 9285-8e from eBay, but I doesn't work, and I wonder if there is any tool that could diagnose and possibly fix it, instead of sending it back. Nothing shows up during boot, I can install the driver, but it would not start. I think the hardware ID (DEV_0089) may not be correct, so the...