Search results

1. R

Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

I got the AMD 5800U unit and it's quite powerful! Not a big jump for the 5825U as far as price / performance . . . Just my 2 cents!
  2. R

It would still be major overkill processor-wise . . . . awesome machine though!
  3. R

Although a powerful and cool little machine - maybe as a server, but can't use virtualization (ie: Proxmox) or bare metal PFSense/OPNSense - also, it only has one network interface onboard (can use USB device) - but not worth it as a firewall (IMHO) :rolleyes: Better spent money would be a...
  4. R

Pretty picture o_O Wish I could draw pretty like that !! ;) Quick question - you have OpenWRT or something else on that Asus access point for the VLANS?!? Looks like you are just using subnetting (which isn't really segregating the traffic) and not using VLANs . . .
  5. R

R86s Router

Good news - found a 1Gbe GBIC on e-bay which works like a charm! Device seems to be purring along as OPNSense running under Proxmox - no issues so far ;)
  6. R

R86s Router

Understood - did you specify the Mellanox ConnectX-3 OCP (what's in the R86s) ?!? I guess if it works, doesn't matter ;)
  7. R

R86s Router

Which one did you buy exactly? There appears to be one for HP and one "normal" - I guess for Cisco/Mikrotik ?!? Thx.
  8. R

R86s Router

After more research - it looks like it has to do with whether intel_pstate is enabled or disabled - If enabled, and it's a modern Intel processor - then you get only powersave and performance (because it's being managed by the CPU itself and NOT the kernel scheduler) - and supposedly powersave...
  9. R

R86s Router

Tried that command with no success - sending SFP module back and trying something else . . . Thanks for your help!
  10. R

I finally got my R86s device - first device with N5105 - quick question for those "power" professionals - I have a J4125 based system which I wanted to replace with the N5105 R86s device - on the J4125 model i can get all CPU governors - but the N5105 only two? J4125 - I set to ondemand...
  11. R

R86s Router

Next question for those "power" professionals - I have a J4125 based system which I wanted to replace with the N5105 R86s device - on the J4125 model i can get all CPU governors - but the N5105 only two? This is my first N5105 based device . . . J4125 - I set to ondemand: root@FoxProxMini:~#...
  12. R

R86s Router

Thanks - question is: If I purchase a 10Gbe SFP+ device which is also multispeed (1000, 2500, 5000 & 10000) can I run it at 1Gb speed? That might be an option - like i said, I wanted to use that port for my FTTH modem which only has a 1GB Ethernet port . . . :) that frees up one of the 2.5GB...
  13. R

R86s Router

Strange - Patrick claimed that he could get 1Gb & 10Gb but not 2,5 or 5Gb from the ports . . . :rolleyes: It's really hit or miss with this - so I may have to change my intended NW design (wanted to use one of those SFP+ ports for the FTTH modem (normal 1GB Ethernet BaseT) so I could free up...
  14. R

R86s Router

Is it possible that the Mellanox Coonect-X 3 doesn't support any BASET RJ45 modules (even 10BaseT) ?!? Only SX/LX or DACs ??
  15. R

R86s Router

That's what I suspected - but wasn't sure . . . Difficult to find any material on what is compatible and what not! I actually contacted the manufacturer and the only suggested one Huawei module . . . My question is whether SFP+ ports are backwards compatible with SFP in general . . . and...
  16. R

R86s Router

Thanks Bjorn - I did see that article and installed the MST tool - but can't seem to find out which mode the device is in or whether it's a VPI based model which support both IB & EN - but when I look at the command results - I see no indication of what mode it's in - the DAC cable seems to work...
  17. R

R86s Router

Happy belated New Year! I finally got my R86s G2 :oops: Neat little device - but still in the honeymoon phase - trying to get it to work they way I expected . . . One issue is the Mellanox ports - I got a DAC cable and it works fine with a QNAP 2108C switch - but wanted to use the other port...
  18. R

Looks interesting, but I suspect we will have to wait at least a year before these chips are on offer from Asia - if you look at all the devices on offer right now - the latest CPU they have is J6413 and that is from 2021 . . . :oops:
  19. R

Amazon always has elevated prices compared to ordering directly from Asia - that usually covers the customs or import taxes and sometimes the uplift on FBA (Fulfilled by Amazon) costs - The only advantage (if you may call it that) is you have Amazon customer service in-between if something goes...
  20. R

Greets from Germany and Happy belated New Year! I ordered from KingNovey - if you choose "seller's shipping method" - even though the estimate is longer, there's higher chance of not having to pay duty fees and it's actually faster ?!? - I ordered a 5800U on the 9th of November and received it...