Search results

1. S

Samsung PM863 960GB $309 OBO

Samsung PM863 2.5" 960GB MZ-7LM9600 $309 OBO | eBay Listed as new NAND is Samsung 32 Layer 128Gbit TLC V-NAND 520MB/sec read 475MB/sec Write 1,400TB Endurance STH PM863 Benches
  2. S

SanDisk Lightning Ultra Gen II 400GB 12gbps SAS

How do these Lightning LB806M 800 GB - 6 Gbps 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive Compare? I know they are 6Gbps instead of 12 but they are available for $300-$400
  3. S

Intel Dell X3959 PRO/1000 Dual Port Server NIC PCI-e GB Server Network Card $36

Don't buy the dual port card for $36, you can get the quad port vt chipset for around that price. Dell Intel Pro/1000 VT QUAD port Gb network NIC 0YT674 pcie card pci-e express $40
  4. S

PFSense interrupt issue?

Try a different nic (intel). Also, try again with different offloading options on/off.
  5. S

The Proxmox VE Thread

That is odd. I haven't run into a problem yet, but I normally use debian or ubuntu.
  6. S

The Proxmox VE Thread

Probably, I normally convert everything over to qcow2. You can't expand a disk that has snapshots but that's for all image formats
  7. S

The Proxmox VE Thread

yep it can, good point. From a quick search there doesn't seem to be any major issues using it either.
  8. S

The Proxmox VE Thread

Don't forget to try and use virtio as much as possible. Virtio increase disk and ethernet throughput. For linux, support should be built in. For windows, you have to install virtio drivers either by loading drivers during installation or by installing the drivers once windows is installed then...
  9. S

2011 board compatible with ES chips

Intel boards are very picky, avoid those for ES chips. ECC unbuffered is fine on E5, you just have a lower overall memory limit compared to Rdimms. Also, you can't mix and match Rdimms with Udimms
  10. S

More Samsung SV843's?

Thanks for the update
  11. S

More Samsung SV843's?

could you provide wear info? I want to buy one but it seemed like the new ones were a better deal.
  12. S

Perplexed* I have purchased and built a nice server, not doing what i want it to......

Did you have to manually edit the vm file after you switched to the r9 285 or did it just work?
  13. S

DIY storage device with eSATA input?

T_Minus's suggestion isn't a bad place to start. Since power is a major concern you could use an i3 or i5. There are plenty of i3/i5+mobo+ram combos on ebay for under $200. There are also systems like a lenovo TS440 yux varient. It often goes on sale for under $400, it includes 2x4 3.5 hotswap...
  14. S

The Norco Hot swap cages aren't far off either. They have a 120mm mid plate option. With larger Quieter fans it shouldn't be too bad. Great point about adding mobo/cpu/ram and having a nas.
  15. S

Perplexed* I have purchased and built a nice server, not doing what i want it to......

Are you trying to accelerate the vm's using your gpu at all? It seems like you built the new machine with 2xE5-2620's then installed windows 8.1, installed the drivers for the gtx970, then used vmware player to create the vm's. Is this correct? I would first try make sure your gtx970 Drivers...
  16. S

It entirely depends on what OP wants to achieve. The SGI's are not quiet at all, I would expect many/most of those type of enclosures to be loud without modification. Dave, Would something like the Sans digital enclosure or something like a SGI work for you? What is your goal? Do you just...
  17. S

Fair point, how much would these "REAL" JBOD chassis run? I know the SGI Rackable 3u 16 hotswap units are available for around $150 on ebay. I mentioned an ESATA option because thats what dave asked for
  18. S

Were you thinking about something like this sans digital Esata enclosure? This enclosure would allow you to connect 4 drives up to your computer through Esata. The Caveat though, is that your device (laptop,desktop,etc) needs to have an esata port multiplier built in. If your device doesn't...
  19. S

STH Colocation Number 2 Build Log

When running i/o tests did you test openvz or kvm with virtio on proxmox? When using kvm make sure to use virtio for hard disk and ethernet. Virtio is paravirtualized and is much faster.
  20. S

Networking my VMware box...need suggestions!

If you setup an additional nic under pfsense it will come up as OPT1 for the first additional interface. From there you can then either handle it exactly the same as your lan interface or give it specific rules on how to handle routing,qos,filtering,etc. You can do the exact thing with vlans...