Search results

1. sfbayzfs

The (hopefully) final word on which 115x Intel CPUs actually support ECC RAM

Hello fellow price conscious system builders, The 115X single Xeon C2xx platforms are hobbyist favorites, not only because they come in micro ATX, and even ITX form factors now, but because you can get started with a cheap Celeron, Pentium, or i3 with full ECC memory support, and upgrade later...
  2. sfbayzfs

FS/FT - SFBayZFS's 2020-2021 home storage lab liquidation

Updated 2021-08-02 Apologies for disappearing for a while - It is realistically going to take me another 2-3 weeks before I will be able to get caught up on replies and list updates - I have finally restored a backup of my personal laptop after an SSD failure a couple of months ago, and my...
  3. sfbayzfs

FS: $0 Free stuff! (Local SF Bay *open to shipping now*) Motherboards, random other stuff

** Update - I am now open to shipping stuff for shipping costs rounded up for all of you non-local folks ** Hi all, I am trying to make space, so for local folks, I have some free stuff, which is useful, but I don't have room for it anymore! (Is anyone looking to ship a few 2U, 3U/4U?) Some...
  4. sfbayzfs

What board/system takes this RAM? (DDR3L 12800 16GB ECC Reg SODIMM 4Rx8)

I mistakenly bought some of these a while ago for my Supermicro C2000 based ITX boards before I could find specs assuming they were unbuffered, but they turned out to be ECC Reg. Does anyone know what uses these? I tried them in a couple of theoretically compatible boards through SODIMM ->...
  5. sfbayzfs

Xeon D 1500 and 2100 RDIMM and LRDIMM compatibility

Hi all, When the Xeon D 1500 series came out, the only way to max a board out with 128GB was with 4x 32GB DDR4 ECC Reg. Nowadays, it looks like you can get 64GB DDR4 both as RDIMM and as LRDIMM, plus 128GB as LRDIMM only. I do see people selling 128GB "RDIMM" memory, but those which I have...
  6. sfbayzfs

Bad RAM slots in motherboards - how common are they, repair success?

I have been meaning to post this for a while, here goes finally. I have a lot of system building experience, and generally held the belief that bad RAM slots on motherboards are uncommon. The first one I encountered was a couple of years ago - I opened up a brand new ITX celeron board and I...
  7. sfbayzfs

Ubiquiti access points 15% off at Newegg for newsletter subscribers!

Coupon code for subscribers only: EMCXEEX26 While 15% isn't amazing, there was discussion of how higher end Ubiquiti APs such as the UAP-AC-HD sell for almost new prices in the FS/WTB area, so this is a good chance to snag some APs at a good price, especially since the higher end ones don't get...
  8. sfbayzfs

Culprit: slightly bad LSI card - was: SC847 45-bay JBODs rear backplane issues - anyone else?

Edit / Conclusion: These errors were intermittently being logged against drives in a SAS expander JBOD for writes only due to a mostly good, but partly bad port on an LSI SAS9206-16e card running IT mode P20.00.07 firmware: mpt2sas_cm1: log_info(0x31120303): originator(PL), code(0x12)...
  9. sfbayzfs

8GB FB-DIMMS - compatible chipsets, Supermicro X7 boards?

Greetings all, I'm trying to max out some older FB-DIMM based systems with cheap RAM - a friend's first generation mac pro, and several Supermicro x7 boards I have on hand. The Supermicro boards (X7DBE for example) have 8-16 DDR2 FB-DIMM slots, but the specs list the largest compatible FB-DIMM...
  10. sfbayzfs

FT: The great rail exchange thread!

It seems that many of us who have more than a couple of systems somehow end up with mismatched rails and other mounting hardware. This thread is an experiment to see how many of us there actually are with excess rail parts, and in search of other rail parts. Terms: Rails are left and right as...
  11. sfbayzfs

WTB/WTT: vertical SFF-8087 socket or BPN-SASI28A (for Supermicro M28SAB drive adapter )

Greetings all, I got some Supermicro M28SAB-OEM drive adapters, (sane as the non-OEM version, but without the protective backplate and fan unit) but one unfortunately had one of the two Foxconn SFF-8087 connectors badly damaged in transit :( I can send it back for a refund, but they have no...
  12. sfbayzfs

SAS2 expanders $60 (IBM, LSI chip, Intel alternative)

If you have always wanted an Intel (LSI) SAS2 expander, and can deal with a full height SAS expander card and no molex power connector, the IBM ones use the same LSI chip, seem to have finally appeared at really good prices: IBM 16-port SAS/SATA 6Gbit Raid Expander Card 46M0997 NEW IBM 46M0997...
  13. sfbayzfs

FS/FT/WTB/WTT sfbayzfs Pt 2: Supermicro Bargain Bin, Drives, Fans, DOMs Network stuff

*** Massive update 2019 06 08 *** I started this bargain bin thread because my main FS/FT/WTB/WTT post is too large to add anything to: FS/FT/WTB/WTT: LSI SAS2/SAS3, Supermicro chassis, motherboards procs ram, HP Microserver, 10G, etc Bargain Systems and Chassis: I have several bargain...
  14. sfbayzfs

SOLD OUT, but ping seller for damaged units $120 shipped HP 761879‑001 12GB SAS3 Expander Card

HP 761879‑001 12GB DL380 Gen9 SAS Expander Card This is a steal for the new SAS3 expander from HP, which conveniently uses SAS2 cables, so you don't have to buy all new cables! Unlike the old HP SAS expanders, all 36-ports are internal, but like the old one it needs PCIe power. I got one for...
  15. sfbayzfs

SOLD $460 Damaged repairable SC847 45-bay JBOD with SAS2 EL2 backplanes

Please let me know if you are interested in giving a damaged but repairable 45-bay JBOD unit a good home ASAP before I file a damage claim and let UPS repo it, since I can't rack it like this, and don't have time to deal with repairing it myself. I got a pair of Supermicro SAS2 dual expander...
  16. sfbayzfs

FS/FT/WTB/WTT sfbayzfs Pt 1: Systems, backplanes, controllers, expanders, mobos, procs, RAM

Greetings fellow home server builders! I have finally settled on a (mostly) final config at home for my stuff (hopefully) * Another big update Sept 8th 2019 * SSD special - $30 - 2x (yes, a pair) of 100GB SATA EMLC SSDs 15mm thick, with PLP, great for mirrored boot drives, add more for only...
  17. sfbayzfs

SFF-8087 cables - how many variants, compatibility and quality?

I have been having problems with a number of SFF-8087 -> SFF-8087 cables between various controllers, expanders, and backplanes. I always seat cables carefully and fully until the latch clicks, yet of the 2 short and 4 long cables that came with my Intel RES2SV240 I bought a couple of years...
  18. sfbayzfs

Dead LSI HP and related OEM SAS controllers and expanders - troubleshooting / repair questions

Every model of LSI card I have encountered illuminates a sequence of LEDs on the top edge of the card as they init, ending with a slowly blinking green light (possibly with other solid LEDs) that seems to indicate the card is working OK. Does anyone know any details as what the individual...
  19. sfbayzfs

LSI sas2 and sas3 HBA cards - optimal firmware versions, features

After general wisdom of "flash the latest LSI firmware release" failed me, I am trying to determine the best versions of LSI IT mode firmware for their SAS2 and SAS3 cards based on 2008, 2308, and 3008 (and multiport version) chipsets. The IR mode firmware, while runnable on many of these...
  20. sfbayzfs

ZFS storage space maximization in large zpools

Greetings, Although I am starting to run FreeNas as a secondary NAS, my main home NAS for years has been ZOL on Centos 6, but there seems to be a lot more zfs discussion here than in the Linux section, and this is a platform independent zfs question to which I have not found any conclusive...