Search results

1. S

Any CSS/uBlock filter wizards out there?

I use uBlock, but that's beyond my ken, as the Scots say. You might post to the github or author's .com site to get a suggestion or tweak to uBlock. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ublock+origin FWIW: The Android eBay app isn't doing that at this time. BTW, the Kiwi browser allows the use of uBlock...
  2. S

Image Posting Guidelines?

Is there a preferred method for posting images here (resolution, html code, etc.) and a recommendation on where to store them? It's been awhile since I've done any posting and drew moderator ire with my first posts with images elsewhere in the old days (I was a 100 or so pixels oversized on each...
  3. S

I had too many Precisions and too little time

You may be approaching a Precision Event Horizon situation! https://hitchhikers.fandom.com/wiki/Shoe_Event_Horizon
  4. S

Wherefore art thou PLP M.2 <=2280 NVME SSDs?!

Good to know. Plan A is to make sure to have a higher speed PWM fan blowing directly on the drives. Plan B, if A doesn't work (looking at my case's manual it looks like they took great pains to ensure it won't), will be to put the 2.5" U.2 in a 3.5" bay adapter with attached fan. Plan C is that...
  5. S

I'm sure that's usually correct, I did see one exception, an Enterprise U.2 marketed as low-power that was ~7-7.5mm, I think it might have been an Intel or Sandisk. Sorry, I've looked at too many drives in a short time to remember. Might come in handy for an ultrabook U.2 mod. ;) Since my...
  6. S

Advice needed M.2 MLC SSDs, reliable HDDs, ReFS, etc.

More, than that my friend whose career was in industrial computing considered them the most reliable, and if I talk about using any other brand he looks like he wants to kill me. He did slip up one day and threw a screwdriver at a tech's head after some typical debacle. Luckily it didn't get...
  7. S

I think I'm getting it with the help of you guys. I've read the definitions, it just sounded to me like SMR was how it was laid out on the platters, as opposed to the technological means of encoding. I guess another part I was missing is the brands aren't shy about crowing about using these...
  8. S

Apple macOS Server Formally Discontinued

Stop it! I can't take all the screaming from all the abandoned STH MacOS Server admins! Oh, the horror, the horror!:eek:
  9. S

How long does it take for a dead HD to die?

"How long does it take for a dead HD to die?" This is obviously either a Zen koan or a 300-level quantum physics exam question. Or maybe it's both in a superimposed eigenstate.
  10. S

16TB+256MG

I think WD has developed a technology to solve this problem: https://grahamcluley.com/locked-dont-worry-heres-hardcoded-password-wd-cloud-nas-device/
  11. S

16TB+256MG

Sounds like you know what you do & don't want. Fair enough. Unless someone has tried this and pipes up, you may have to buy a drive and try this yourself. Let people know if it works. If there is no HW difference, no large difference in price is justified, and WD would be ripping people off...
  12. S

Used HGST He10 drives -- good value?

AFAIK, refurbished equipment on eBay often only means 'removed & now reselling'. Even if its Enterprise HW refurbished by a company with locations in multiple states, this usually means its removed, allegedly tested, and sold. If you have a company name to go on, I suggest you check online with...
  13. S

Any wisdom on Intel Cache Acceleration Software (CAS)?

i.e., Intel re-branded Nevex CacheWorks. I'm looking around at current caching software to copy commonly used files from HDD to SSD (& maybe to RAM at some point, when there is more to go around in a future build) to overcome the slowness of the platters. Essentially I'm looking for a poor...
  14. S

It's always something. ;) I'm not sure how thick things get, interference with MB heat shields or GPUs is the obvious issue. They are coming out with gigantic HSF's for M.2 SSDs. https://www.tomshardware.com/news/qiao-sibo-cooler-ssd...
  15. S

I have been learning more about these cards, bifurcation issues, etc. https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/multi-nvme-m-2-u-2-adapters-that-do-not-require-bifurcation.31172/ One thing I ran across was a Samsung Enterprise SSD which was 30+mm wide, and so should be called an M.3...
  16. S

We're reading the same ads, I think! I've got a bunch of that stuff watched, but can't really buy any of it until the plan is finalized on drive control & configuration. To use it all I need a 7 x16 slot MB & a Mountain Mods case. Instead, I went with plan B, as in "I might Break something I...
  17. S

Well, I'm confused, again. This last month I read an article at Backblaze, I think it was for Q1 2022. From what I read they weren't buying WD anymore, due to criteria, and they were such a small number that the report didn't reflect them as statistical significant. *Now*, this is the latest I...
  18. S

Thanks, in desperation I bought a Rosewill set on the idea they would hopefully not immediately combust. I see they make other cables as well, hopefully all to good standards, and have their own webstore so I can be sure to avoid counterfeits. Excellent. IDC & PWDIS are all greek to me, but...
  19. S

But that shouldn't be a problem in a desktop/server, right?
  20. S

[Several hundred web pages read later... sorry for the delay] Thanks, Sean. I had found the U.2 version for sale. They are 2280 up to 960gb in M.2, and 22110 on up, and all TLC, as best as I can tell. I'm beginning to think that finding the perfect M.2 SSD is as hard as finding the perfect...