Search results

1. TuxDude

Time for a new router

Hey all - it's been a long time, maybe some around here still recognize me... Anyways, my home pfSense router died last night - was one of those little quad-port mini-PC devices from ali-express. Ran great for the last 5 years or so, so I figure I got my moneys worth there - but now I find...
  2. TuxDude

LSI SAS 9201-16e's for $40

LSI SAS 4-PORT 6GB PCI-EXPRESS 2.0 X8 CONTROLLER CARD H3-25379-01K SAS9201-16E Listed price is $44.99, but the seller accepted a $40 offer from me. Not sure if he'd go lower or not, but it seems a pretty good price for 16 lanes of 6G SAS for connecting up lots of spinning rust.
  3. TuxDude

Custom STH-Themed Parts

So there's been a few hints here and there in @Patriot 's recent posts - we've designed a STH branded Raspberry Pi case - should fit a model B+ / 2 / 3. I don't currently have a 3d printer to verify that any of the dimensions are actually correct in the design, but we should have confirmation...
  4. TuxDude

Possible Cheap SuperMicro Rails

From the searching I've done, these appear to be the same supermicro quick rails that work with most of their chassis, and at only $20 USD a set is the cheapest I've ever seen - too bad they want $200 to ship a set to Canada. But maybe someone closer to them can still get them for a reasonable...
  5. TuxDude

Linux glibc vulnerability - CVE-2015-7547

It was posted in the irc channel last night, but I don't see it anywhere in the forums here. Extremely severe bug leaves dizzying number of software and devices vulnerable or Critical security flaw: glibc stack-based buffer overflow in getaddrinfo() (CVE-2015-7547) - Red Hat Customer Portal...
  6. TuxDude

Playing with my SAS expander

After some recent discussions around here about link aggregation, I decided to do a bit of playing around and share the results. The hardware for this experiment consists of an IBM M1015 HBA, a SuperMicro SC846 chassis with the BPN-SAS2-846EL1 backplane, and lots of spinning disks. Note...
  7. TuxDude

Fragapalooza 2015

For anyone interested, registration is now open for Fragapalooza 2015: Fragapalooza - Home If you aren't familiar with the event, we are Canada's longest running LAN party (I think this is our 20th event), held annually in or near Edmonton - this year we are in Leduc at the Leduc Rec Center...
  8. TuxDude

MS StorSimple

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these things, and what their thoughts are. I've got a couple meetings coming up in the near future about it here at work (I suspect some marketing person somewhere has convinced my boss its a good idea), but right now only know as much about it as...
  9. TuxDude

Data Recovery Project

I'm not certain that this is the right forum for this, but a mod can move it if they like. In any case, on to the content... I'm currently working on a small project here for a friend. He has had an Intel Matrix-Raid of 3x 500GB SATA drives running Raid-0 for quite a few years now, and just...
  10. TuxDude

My long overdue file server upgrade

Build’s Name: Zoidberg Operating System/ Storage Platform: Gentoo Linux x86_64 CPU: Dual Xeon L5520s Motherboard: Supermicro X8DTH-iF Chassis: Supermicro CSE-846E16 Drives: 6x 1TB SATA mdadm-RAID-6 /home volume. 6x 4TB SATA-NAS + 2x 3TB SATA + 5x 2TB SATA-Green Snapraid Dual-Parity. 2x 1TB...
  11. TuxDude

Would like some more opinions

After recently suffering some minor filesystem corruption, I've moved all of my data temporarily and now have the somewhat rare opportunity to re-layout all of my raid arrays. I should note that the OS (gentoo linux) boots from a mirrored pair of 160GB drives that are not included in any of...