Search results

1. G

LGA 1700 Alder Lake "Servers"

From the manual: Note 1: When using 2x8 configuration, the first eight lane device must use lanes 0-7. Note 2: It is required to use SLOT4 with an eight lane device installed in SLOT 7 Page 16.
  2. G

(US) 90 dollar Wyse 5070 Thin client/mini-server?

Something fun: the Dell bios exe can just be put on a flash drive. The UEFI/BIOS will be able to find it and update from the exe.
  3. G

Adding 10GbE via M.2 to CWWK N6005 i226 v4?

I'm not OP, but the three 2.5GbE RJ45 & 2 SFP+ is exactly what I was looking for, but could not find. It has a fan and is not passive. [looks to be one i211 and two i225] Seems to be an OCP2.0 ConnectX3 of some sort. OCP2 is good, I didn't think of looking for small PCs with OCP. Pricing on...
  4. G

SFP+ cards with ASPM support?

HWInfo 7.30 shows it's available, but not enabled. This is with Link State Power Management set to Moderate, the default setting with the Ryzen Balanced profile. The ConnectX-4 is plugged into the MB's 2nd M.2 Key M slot, via a riser (mITX motherboard). I don't know if that affects things...
  5. G

No network interface detected with Topton 4x Intel i226-V 2.5G Firewall Mini PC Pentium N6005

May you try a recent Linux distro and see if it all works? I don't have any solutions. i226 does have a different device ID code. Looks like pfsense is working on patching it in. https://forum.netgate.com/topic/174406/intel-i226-v-not-recognized/33?_=1663393377180 Does seem like OPNsense...
  6. G

Ryzen AM5 boards with IPMI

My best guess is trace lengths. The 10GbE controller is right next to the CPU socket, whereas the chipset is on the other side of the board, near the x4 slot.
  7. G

(not adding much to your conversation): same, iperf3 between two linux realtek hosts (one of them a Wyse 5070) [ 5] 0.00-10.00 sec 1.09 GBytes 939 Mbits/sec 286 sender [ 5] 0.00-10.00 sec 1.09 GBytes 938 Mbits/sec receiver Mine also shows LnkSta...
  8. G

Headless AMD - mATX without GPU?

I know it's not on your list, but my ASRock Fatal1ty B350 ITX runs without a GPU. I used it for my server/router with a 3600 for quite some time. Only used a GPU to setup, swapped it out for a dual SFP+ card after setup was finished. Now it runs a 5600G, which makes the GPU question for me a bit...
  9. G

The new Intel i226-V / i226-LM / i226-IT NICs

I don't have anything useful to add, just that if Intel is still fixing their MAC/PHY problems, then that likely means Raptor Lake chipsets won't have a 2.5GbE MAC integrated yet (or not enabled). This will continue to leave a slight barrier to universal adoption.
  10. G

Some thoughts: Apparently, the M.2 drive's standoff is a 6-32 4mm standoff. Used to be a common PC standoff, before M.3 4mm standoffs became more common. The part number is printed in the silkscreen, 7W94R, but good luck sourcing it. Seems to be a 3rd party screw kit on Amazon that has a 6-32...
  11. G

New Router Suggestions (Multi-Gig/10 GbE)

I have been looking at the Lazer3D HT5 case for a pair of very similarly-goaled builds. Just cannot really stomach the >$100 price for a plastic case at the moment.
  12. G

Best low power SFP+ cards

Agreed. However, some extra notes: That 3.8W spec is for the CX3, not total system power. Even with ASPM (etc), the total system's power increase will be theoretically higher than 3.8W (loss in PSU, more SoC/NB resources to support maintaining a PCIe link, etc). Mellanox/Nvidia specs usually...
  13. G

SFP+ cards with ASPM support?

My ConnectX 4 Lx seems to have it, but I cannot really prove it based on the limited expressions of Windows (powercfg /energy only shows if it is disabled, but it won't say if it's working). Also a lspci dump of a CX4Lx from here seems to indicate it has ASPM L1 support...
  14. G

It's in the manual, afaik. The cross slot on that cutout is where you insert a screwdriver to help gain leverage.
  15. G

How important is the GPU in a new DIY media server build?

Also, see if you really need that transcoding at all. All of my clients are PCs that can easily handle just about anything. For phones, I really don't care if the quality is all that great on a small screen. Though if I'm ever using my phone for watching media, I'm likely unable to access my...
  16. G

Two Fanless Intel Celeron N5105 4x 2.5GbE Options Reviewed

It seems almost everything draws more power at idle nowadays. From my existing and ongoing testing, I know that my 3400G was just more efficient than my 3600 at being my general homelab server. My server is not 100% idle, but is not being pegged at 100% on any core, either. Closer to 1-2% on...
  17. G

If it helps, the memory sticks have smbus addresses too (where their memory timing profiles and sometimes RGB controllers are accessed). Given both of us saw the white/amber blink pattern give a memory POST code, maybe different sticks of ram may work? Only bother trying this if you already have...
  18. G

Ran into this exact issue before. No real resolution was achieved, since I could much more simply swap cards into working machines. Dell X520 cards are cheaper on ebay for good reason. AFAIK, their firmware (dell variant of the firmware and rom [separate, afaik]) instantiates at SMBUS addresses...
  19. G

Neither will fit without modification, afaik. Low profile cards have a main body less than 2.5" wide (not including PCIe fingers or the bracket). 2.5" drives are... well... Wyse 5070 extended only supports low profile, single slot cards.
  20. G

If the sata drive is installed, try removing it? Mine exhibited similar symptoms with one Intel X520 card (Dell variant) but was fine with another.