Search results

1. R

iStarUSA D-200-PFS Black Steel 2U Rackmount Server Case

FYI Promo code still works for me - with tax + shipping its $46, which isn't bad for a spare 2u box to work with. And then back to reality of what would I really want to use this for...?
  2. R

GPU passthrough issues

As a quick add-on: no idea where the thread linked below progressed to (it says last reply 2016, but was originally circa 2011), but was a decent reference back then. Good chance it's useless now, but who knows... VMDirectPath and ATI Radeon | VMware Communities
  3. R

GPU passthrough issues

Just to add a data point - It's been a few years, but the notes above about AMD cards (vs nvidia) for passthrough and the pcihole settings are the same as my experience. Last run was actually when 7970's were new, and I was able to pass-through everything including HDMI audio, multiple display...
  4. R

SAMSUNG PM853T 960GB - $159.99

Dont think that lasted more than 15m...shame I missed the small qty again
  5. R

Sun Oracle Flash Accelerator F40 400GB PCIe SSD - $99 + 15 BIN

Hm, looks like while I might have been the first on this thread with issues, I'm (unfortunately) not the only. Sorry to hear this was more widespread guys...On the bright side, seller immediately responded and refunded upon receipt, so at least pleased with that part of the transaction.
  6. R

Booting X10SLM

Thanks for the thought, and may still try that out. That said, was planning on using this board for pfsense so I'm not sure how I feel about having "trust issues" with it.
  7. R

Thanks for confirming my sanity here...2nd piece I got a chance to pull out from ebay acquisitions this weekend that was bad. Such is life...
  8. R

Any thoughts on why I would be seeing only 3 disks @ 93GB per, not 4, upon loading this up in a Win 10 box? Fresh drivers updated just to make sure... Edit: Ugh, red status led on the card itself and LSI bios startup is only seeing 3 as well...Guessing I'm unlucky on the draw here with a...
  9. R

Booting X10SLM

So as a follow-up, did pull the board and boot it on a test bed outside of chassis. Was able to plug an external graphics in (which didn't register itself) but somehow triggered the onboard vga to come online with half-garbled screens and only would occasionally post and get to a bios...
  10. R

Booting X10SLM

So, feeling pretty slow here but figured I'd ask for thoughts. Just recently got a X10SLM based system off eBay and went to start it up. While the IPMI port is hitting activity, IPMI is not pulling a DHCP address from anything I can see (assuming there's a static set), VGA does not produce...
  11. R

New build, need storage

Slightly offtopic, as I don't think you're planning on hitting this limit - but you mentioned 12 2.5" and 12 3.5" bays...not sure this confit exists, if you just meant 8 3.5", or something else altogether.
  12. R

Samsung SM843T 480gb @100 ebay

Accepted @ 85...not bad for what it is.
  13. R

Hitachi data system 3919435

I actually think there's a CPU on there...brief scanning may suggest as Celeron g1820? Low power appliance box possibly that could have an e3 tossed on it. Aside from the heatsink, doesn't seem like a bad deal with a Best Offer if there's not any Hitachi proprietary gotchas on it.
  14. R

Hadn't looked that close, but yea, that's interesting...especially if it was a packaged system that way.
  15. R

Looks like this might be a X10SLM+-LN4 barebones in a decent sm half depth case...anyone know anything about this and if it's at all a reasonable buy? Supermicro 1U Enclosed Server Chassis CSE-512 / Hitachi data system 3919435
  16. R

S9SCL-F, 1U cse510-200B, Heatsink for $119 FS

Thanks for the link; with shipping, the ask is about the same vs. free ship on the other. Missing IPMI isn't the greatest, but put in an offer and will see if the seller is reasonable with it.
  17. R

S9SCL-F, 1U cse510-200B, Heatsink for $119 FS

So, trying to find a similar 1u for a pfsense build...not expecting it often to be peaking heavy load, how's the noise on this unit? Assuming a low power chip, will I be able to put this behind a door and not hear it?
  18. R

Super cheap Supermicro Superserver! 1U w/ 8x 2.5" bay & X8DTL

Curious - How quiet is quiet? I was assuming that 1u with this setup would be pretty intolerable...and definitely still audible behind a door into the next room. Is this noticeably better tho? Assuming @idle and 1p, not loaded.
  19. R

Super cheap Supermicro Superserver! 1U w/ 8x 2.5" bay & X8DTL

If I thought there was a chance to make these not scream, I'd be tempted to grab for a 1u pfsense appliance box.