Search results

1. S

DataOn DNS-2760 (HGST 4u60G2) - will not power on

Very good point - they may have even clipped the 120v transformer lead. Maybe I'll take one apart and see what's going on.
  2. S

I don't see any switch on the unit, it's either plugged in or not. I'll be using my APU as the power switch.
  3. S

Good News! The 3000w 220v step-up converter arrived - plugged it in and the DataOn device powered right up. On the back of those PSUs, they have a LOT of connectors. I assumed they were all simply independent voltage rails, but there must be something in there that is a line voltage indicator...
  4. S

Anyone tried the HGST SSDs with "Oracle" firmware

You have to force switch it into HBA mode if I remember correctly. I haven't done it in a while, but I don't think it's a bios setting. I looked around in my notes and I actually have some I copied from someone else on how to do this. Here you go... Download the SPP Gen8.1 ISO <-- this is...
  5. S

The P420 will function just fine in HBA mode with one exception - you cannot have your boot drive on it while in HBA. You can work around this with an internal USB boot stick, an internal boot sdcard, or an internal SATA SSD. I went with the internal SATA SSD - a 120GB SSD which are very cheap...
  6. S

I have run several LSI cards in my HP servers along with many different drives, and they have never triggered the fans to increase. I am using the latest bios updates if that makes a difference. As for the OS mirror, never had an issue with persevering that when going from the internal P420 to...
  7. S

I just tried the HUH721010AL5200 10TB drive in my dl360p gen8 server and it recognized it like any other drive. Just to be sure, I partitioned it and created an ext4 filesystem without issue. To be clear, I did reformat this from 512 byte sectors to 4k sectors, but I don't think that would...
  8. S

This may actually be the reason. There is a torn sticker on the top of the unit that appears to indicate it needs 200-240v. This seems weird though as the internals should, in theory, have no clue what external AC voltage is. All internals should simply want their DC voltage of 5, 12, etc...
  9. S

Not working even when I switch them.
  10. S

I have several multimeters, but when these are plugged in, they are buried in the chassis. Not sure if it's possible to get into the chassis while the PSU is plugged in. The PSU has lights directly on it that I would expect to light up if there is any hope of passing current into the chassis...
  11. S

Any tips on removing CISCO rack server lids? Is this the worst mechanism in server history?

I have only used the M4 generation of these servers. I haven't had any issue with them - they always come right off and are very similar to the HP servers. I believe on my M4 generation there is a lock mechanism on the tab - does that exist on your M3 model and is it possibly engaging the lock?
  12. S

I had thought of that, and double checked the PSU. It supports both 100-120v and 200-240v. Here's a picture of the PSU label.
  13. S

I am running several HUH721010AL5200 models which are the Oracle branded 10TB drives. I formatted each of them to 4k sectors without any issue. They work great, but I have not tried them in an HP server, have been using them in a Cisco server. I did run into one problem with these. When I...
  14. S

So I picked up a DataOn DNS-2760 (60 3.5" drive enclosure - rebranded HGST 4u60G2) last year and just now getting around to lugging the thing into my basement to try and play with it. I get this monster installed in the rack and I'm excited to plug it in... and nothing. No fans spin up, no led...
  15. S

DataOn DNS-2760 - Rebranded HGST 4U60G2 - $323 on ebay

Got the last one of these. Now have to find some rails or shelf for it.
  16. S

Cisco C220 M4 - CIMC Firmware Flash Error

Looks like I posted this in the wrong section. I'd move it if I could, but don't see an option. If a moderator could move this, would be appreciated.
  17. S

Cisco C220 M4 - CIMC Firmware Flash Error

So first off, let me fully admit that I screwed up here! I was flashing the CIMC firmware on a new C220 M4 I picked up, without any UPS connected, and the power went out for 2 seconds, killing the server right in the middle of the firmware flash. Cisco seems to think that flashing a single...
  18. S

Processor Choice: E5-2660v2 or E5-2689

Mobilenvidia - thank you, great reference that I'm going to save off. :)
  19. S

What 2600v2 cpu would you recommend that would have the best of both worlds? (clock and cores) I believe the 2689v0 was always unique due to it's turbo configuration, it would run most of it's cores at a very aggressive pace if I remember correctly. Is there anything similar on the v2 platform?
  20. S

Thanks for the comments, I had come to roughly the same conclusion based on the single threaded perf vs the extra cores which is why I'm leaning toward the v2 model. I don't have any knowledge of how much better v2 was over the v0 line in regard to virtualization. I have played with both of...