Search results

1. nabsltd

10m active optical SFF-8644 to SFF-8644 $39

In another post, I was talking about how the limit on SATA cable length could make it hard to use an internal HBA with a bracket adapter to external, because the total cable length between active components could easily be longer than 1m (HBA→bracket→external cable→bracket→backplane) . When I...
  2. nabsltd

NetApp drive fails to read/write

I bought some Toshiba 4TB SAS drives, and the picture showed regular Toshiba drives with normal labels, but I got the following: When placed in my external bay connected to a LSI 9300-8e, I get enough connection to read the basic drive information (4K physical sectors, total LBA, etc.), but...
  3. nabsltd

Toshiba 14TB SAS MG07SCA14TE 512e $66 NEW

Base price is $53, with shipping $13 for the first and about $6 each after that. Item listing says "New", not "Used". https://www.ebay.com/itm/135008078352
  4. nabsltd

Supermicro 826 chassis variants?

I have 3x 826BE1C-R920LPB in my rack. About a year ago, I bought what was listed as a "CSE-826" chassis from eBay. I have mostly used it for testing, but am finally going to rack it in place permanently. I wanted to add a rear 2.5" drive bay carrier like MCP-220-82609-0N (which my existing...
  5. nabsltd

Firmware for HP 530SFP+ (BCM57810S)

I'm trying to find updated firmware for these cards, but every result from searching at the HPE website returns an error when I click on it. Is this just some temporary HP issue, or do I need a login to see the actual pages?
  6. nabsltd

Tiered storage sizing recommendations

In a system with about 15TB of data, growing at about 0.5TB/year, with about 500GB of that data being the "working set" at any given time but the actual active data changing as users do different things, and about 20-50GB of essentially "wired" data (metadata, indexes, etc.) that is always part...
  7. nabsltd

Generic adapter for 2.5" disk in 3.5" hot swap bay

We all have a ton of 3.5" hot swap bays, and if you're like me, you have SuperMicro chassis, where the tool free MCP-220-00118-0B will cost $25-30 shipped. Plus, you're paying extra for the latch and drive rail assembly that you already have...SuperMicro doesn't offer just the adapter. But, HP...
  8. nabsltd

SuperMicro X9SRL slot bifurcation

With version 3.3 of the BIOS, the X9SRL supports bifurcation. But, it's not just bifurcation...it's actually re-arrangement of the PCIe lanes. Every slot seems to have all PCIe lanes wired to it, even if the active slot width when the board was made (and bifurcation wasn't really a thought) was...
  9. nabsltd

Bare-metal, single node iSCSI SAN software with web-based UI that doesn't use ZFS, costs nothing and is actively developed

Does this exist? My thoughts: I can do everything but the "web based UI" using pretty much any Linux distribution and tgtd. This is my current setup, but I would prefer having a GUI, even if all it really adds is easier monitoring. ZFS sitting below a virtualized block storage layer does not...
  10. nabsltd

Intel DC P4610 6.4TB U.2 3 DWPD $349

I'm sorry I waited until I received mine to post this, as the price has gone up from the $299 I paid. I still think it's a good deal at $349. What I got was brand new stock in original Intel packaging, still sealed. https://www.newegg.com/intel-dc-p4610-6-4tb/p/1B1-004N-00012
  11. nabsltd

[WTB] HP Z620 side panel key

OK, so this one is a little weird. I have inherited a lab full of these boxes, and can't get inside because the side panel comes with an integrated cylindrical key lock. According to various sources around the Internet, all these locks use the same key. As a matter of fact, every Z6xx is the...
  12. nabsltd

HGST Helium 10TB SATA $110

I bought one drive as a test to see what I would get. At the time, it was $99.99. What I got was exactly what was listed, with SMART data not wiped: Model Family: HGST Ultrastar He10 Device Model: HGST HUH721010ALN600 LU WWN Device Id: 5 000cca 251cfdca5 Firmware Version: LHGNT21D User...
  13. nabsltd

How many corrected errors is too many?

I bought 6x HUS726060AL5215 (6TB SAS3) and ran badblocks on them. Five of them had runs that looked very similar to this: # time badblocks -svw -b 4096 -c 131072 /dev/da1 Checking for bad blocks in read-write mode From block 0 to 1465130645 Pass completed, 0 bad blocks found. (0/0/0 errors)...
  14. nabsltd

HGST Ultrastar He8 HUH728080AL5200 8TB 7200rpm SAS3 $55 or less

I added this item to my eBay watch list, and got an offer of $55.24 for quantity 1, or about $6.90/TB. Only 5 available, but good for somebody who doesn't need a whole rack of disks.
  15. nabsltd

Need M.2 heatsink recommendations

I grabbed one of those cheap (less than US$10) double-sided M.2 heatsinks (like this one), and it works fine for motherboard slots and single M.2 PCIe cards (dropped max temp from 50°C to 45°C), but won't fit on most dual/quad M.2 PCIe cards, as they don't have enough room for the "walls" in...
  16. nabsltd

Single M.2 socket in PCIe x4 card recommendation

I have a Supermicro X9SRL-F with latest BIOS that supports bifurcation. This dual M.2 card works great in an x8 slot and can be seen by any OS I have tested that supports NVMe. On the other hand, this single M.2 card causes TrueNAS to fail to boot (in very weird ways, and never at the same...
  17. nabsltd

LSI 9341-4i doesn't see any drives

I'm having terrible luck with my TrueNAS test box and HBAs. I have a few in the drawer that I pulled from working machines. The first card I tried was a 9361-4i (not the best for TrueNAS, but it's just a test setup), and it appears to be completely dead, as it won't post in any of 3 different...
  18. nabsltd

Suggestions for block storage platform

I've used my "roll your own" system for providing block storage to ESXi hosts using the iSCSI target daemon on CentOS for about 8 years now, but I'm looking to roll out a new physical box and would like some advice on alternatives. Where this system lets me down is: There is no good storage...
  19. nabsltd

Samsung 980 Pro NVME power on hours not accurate

Although this isn't really a server-y issue, I thought I'd ask here because I'm more likely to get an answer. I have a Samsung 980 Pro (with heatsink) that does not seem to accurately report power on hours. I've been logged in to Windows for a week or so now, and the power on hours report as...
  20. nabsltd

[SOLVED] X9SRL-F weirdness...broken, or some config issue?

I bought a used X9SRL-F (listed as "seller refurbished"), and I'm getting pretty much no response out of it. The BMC light blinks like it should, and the board powers on (and activates the VGA output, as my monitor sees a signal), but I get nothing else...no beeps, nothing on the display, etc...