Search results

1. nabsltd

SAS, SATA, U.2, NVME, MiniSAS, HBA or RAID, OcuLink?? - Lost in Diversity

Sorry about that. I should have said "94xx or newer support TRIM in hardware RAID" (from the same document you linked).
  2. nabsltd

Enterprise SSD/HDD price increases :-(

I think Moore's law stopped applying a long time ago, at least as far as single-core speed and storage is concerned. We have kept doubling processor power every 18-24 months, but most of that is through more cores on a much larger chip. Actually doubling storage size or speed within the same...
  3. nabsltd

Best SFP+ 10 Gbps Card?

There are a lot of X520 cards that aren't Intel branded, so they don't have the transceiver lock, but otherwise have the exact same feature set as the Intel branded cards. I buy the HP version (560SFP+) from eBay for $20 or so. Also, I can't imagine using a transceiver in a NIC...any system...
  4. nabsltd

MEGA 2.5GbE Switch Guide Update with 21 New Models Added

Yes, we all understand that. I'm sorry that you intentionally avoided the point about "manufacture without oversight" that is implicit in this discussion. The fact the firmware on most of these switches is very flaky tell me that it would be hard to determine if something is just a bug or is...
  5. nabsltd

I'm quick to discount it because it's 1/4 the speed that the entire computing world has used for "high speed required" systems for 20+ years. The use cases where 2.5Gbit is useful/necessary are pretty slim. It's still nowhere near fast enough to even handle 6Gbps SATA SSD throughput, much less...
  6. nabsltd

SAS, SATA, U.2, NVME, MiniSAS, HBA or RAID, OcuLink?? - Lost in Diversity

Modern LSI cards (93xx or newer) pass through trim to SSDs if the SSD supports the correct features (RZAT and DRAT). Luckily, the dirt cheap (used) Intel S3600 series of SATA SSDs support both those features.
  7. nabsltd

How to reformat HDD & SSD to 512B Sector Size

To me, a 12Gbps card and cable is a better deal long term than a 6Gbps card that uses your already-purchased cable. I think about the cost compared to the total price of the system, and for a "1x" item (like an HBA), spending a few dollars more total isn't a big deal when I have to buy 12x 10TB...
  8. nabsltd

It's pretty easy to get decent network equipment for reasonable prices if you look at used enterprise gear. The problem is that people feel they need 2.5Gbps, which never was part of the enterprise lineup. I run 1Gbps for most machines, and anything that needs more gets 10Gbps. I do have a few...
  9. nabsltd

How to reformat HDD & SSD to 512B Sector Size

This will do the job in Windows or Linux.
  10. nabsltd

Gigabyte MD71-HB0/Datto S4E18 CPU Throttle

I'm not familiar with the Gigabyte board, but I know that Supermicro boards with BMC connected to a dual power supply behave very differently depending on whether you remove the plug from the power supply (BMC complains) or if you remove the power supply completely (BMC is happy as long as the...
  11. nabsltd

Possible cause found for slower than expected 10gb networking performance.

Note that the X520 is a PCIe 2.0 card, so 2 lanes would be about 8Gbps. So, right there, you lose 20%. The X710 is a PCIe 3.0 card, but the design seems to be x4 lanes of PCIe 3.0 per port. Two lanes should be more than enough for 10Gbps, but if Intel thought so, the dual-port cards would only...
  12. nabsltd

High capacity Kingston DC1500M alternatives?

Check the shipping to wherever you live...I doubt it will be more than US$50: https://www.ebay.com/itm/256295713144
  13. nabsltd

Best Approach to Cheap Distributed NVMe?

Since you are looking at systems/chassis that are taller than 2U, and are likely modern enough to support bifurcation in the BIOS, then something like this installed in an x8 slot (set to x4x4 in the BIOS) will likely be the cheapest way to get it working. If the motherboard layout works...
  14. nabsltd

Looking for a case for the Supermicro X9DRi-LN4F+ (SC836BA-R920B)

Yeah, if you've already got something and it works, even if it's old, then, cool, hang on to it until you need something better. But if you need to spend money to make it work, then it's just like starting with nothing...figure out what solves the problem for the lowest additional money.
  15. nabsltd

Supermicro X9/X10/X11 Fan Speed Control

Download the ZIP file, extract, and run from that location. Ignore the install.cmd. If you want to run it from anywhere, put all the .EXE and .DLL files in a directory that is on the path.
  16. nabsltd

Safe to flash Supermicro SAS3 Backplane Firmware?

I have a very similar layout (2U box, 3x 80mm fan wall, no ducts), and my LSI controller sits at around 60°C, and reaches 75°C during load. You might want to see if a known good new card would have lower temperatures. In that case, you might want to check the thermal compound behind the old card...
  17. nabsltd

High capacity Kingston DC1500M alternatives?

If you don't need PCIe 4.0, go with the PM983. You can easily find the 3.84TB version for around $200.
  18. nabsltd

PCIe SSDs on older server question

The USB does nothing but have an EFI boot partition that chain loads the NVMe boot sector. You write the drive once, and it never has anything written to it again, so the chances it will go bad are very slim. If you are worried, though, buy a 5-pack of USB drives and write each one with boot...
  19. nabsltd

USB C/Thunderbolt hub

I don't own the following hub, but I have had good luck with the brand. It has 5 USB-A, 2 USB-C, and 2 charging ports (admittedly "extraneous"): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CB82NR5C Read the reviews, and you'll see that some of the loss of stars is for features that are not actually advertised...
  20. nabsltd

Fujitsu EP400i reviews

Where can you get them for $20? A fully-tricked out 9361-8i (with cache, supercap, all features unlocked, and both brackets) is $40.