Search results

1. K

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

There are a *TON* of changes between 08 and 09; if you haven't read the Upgrade/Release Notes, you should do that before going much further.
  2. K

Ruckus Wireless as an Unifi alternative?

I have only ever used Unleashed (as have friends I've convinced to switched to Ruckus APs, and many people on this thread), and the AP performance has never been visibly affected by running in Unleashed 'master' mode. With that said, if you are concerned about that there are at least two options...
  3. K

Ruckus Wireless as an Unifi alternative?

It is possible to use Zone Director one of the other 'centralized' management solutions, some of them can be found used on eBay which makes them less expensive than purchasing new. What is your concern with using Unleashed? It's roughly equivalent to the other 'controller-less' enterprise...
  4. K

SAS disks vs. SATA connectors. How does it work?

But the U.2 connector is yet-another-variation on the original SATA connector; as noted in the link above, a backplane receptacle can support any or all of SATA/SAS/U.2 if it has the proper electrical connectivity.
  5. K

If you want to do something simpler, a single pair of SM fiber with simplex (not duplex) LC connectors and two pairs of this SFP+ (BiDi SFP+ 10GBase-LR Tx1270/Rx1330nm 10KM) will give you a full ring and nothing extra. If you like you can order the SFP+ transceivers with "Brocade coding" (that's...
  6. K

I don't think that backplane supports 12Gb/s SAS. You would need a BPN-SAS3-825TQ.
  7. K

I believe the answer is they don't connect to anything, and the drive is able to tolerate that. I just checked a Seagate EXOS SAS HDD I pulled out from my backplane (again, the same one you listed), and it also has those additional contacts on the top side of the connector but works perfectly in...
  8. K

Which flavor of SAS has those additional signals? It's possible that speeds above 6Gb/s use them, but this backplane does not support those speeds.
  9. K

I wonder where you got the information that SAS connectors have 'more signals'. The connectors on SAS and SATA disks are identical except for a blocking bar to keep you from plugging a SAS drive into a SATA-only backplane/cable. I have that exact backplane in my server and have easily swapped...
  10. K

Brocade Inter-VLAN routing on some but not all? Help

Well, it would be useful to use the usual terminology... there is no 'requesting a device' involved :) For IPv4, ARP is used to find hardware (MAC) addresses which correspond to IP addresses, and ARP is a layer 2 protocol so it does not cross VLANs. The difference between routing VLANs and...
  11. K

ICX devices do not have NAT, but do have ACLs, so you can do limited firewalling on them.
  12. K

Brocade ICX6610-48P-PE 48-Port 1G PoE+ Switch w/ 2x PSU & Fans $99.99 + Reasonable Shipping.

The 7250-48Ps at this price were definitely a great deal, not sure that the 6610 at the same price is :cool:
  13. K

Which fiber cable for a 50m (165 feet) outdoor link?

This is what I have, but there are less-expensive options out there: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X48X6VP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?th=1
  14. K

If it's going to be exposed then you will probably want an armored cable; standard cable won't survive exposure to the elements for very long. The simplest option for you will probably be a pair of these transceivers, plus a 50M preterminated OM3 MMF cable with duplex LC connectors (that cable...
  15. K

Again, you can ignore those until you've decided on the modules you will use; that will dictate the connector type and fiber style. Will the cable be buried, in a conduit, hanging from poles, laying on the ground, or some other creative option?
  16. K

EXPIRED Brocade ICX7250-48P ($105/ea OBO + Reasonable Shipping)

You can use either an L2 or an L3 configuration at wire-speed in the ICX device, it's up to you based on your preference. Probably would be better to discuss that in the main ICX thread though, since this one is specifically about this model of devices.
  17. K

How will the cable be physically routed between the buildings? That's a big factor in the decision of whether you need armored cable or not. What sort of link are you trying to put in place? 1/10/25/40/100 GbE? FC? Something else? I have a 50 meter link between house and garage using a pair of...
  18. K

There is probably an overly-restrictive outbound firewall rule, or NAT/masquerade rule, in your OPNSense configuration, and it is not allowing traffic from 10.0.6.0/24 to exit the WAN interface. No, you've built a layer 3 (routed) configuration and that's completely fine; if you wanted a layer...
  19. K

Most of us have Ruckus-branded units, and all of the firmware files and manuals come from the Ruckus website, so... yes. The ownership situation is much more complex... Ruckus is a brand owned by CommScope.