Search results

1. RamGuy

Windows Server 2022 Datacenter Core (23H2 / Build 25398), AMD X570 and Ryzen 9 3900X with random lockups/freezes

Greetings, I recently made some changes to my home server. It was previously running: Operating System: Windows Server 2022 LTSC (Build 20348) CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X RAM: 4x 16 (64GB) 3200MHz ECC unbuffered DDR4 Motherboard: ASUS Pro WS X570-ACE, BIOS/UEFI version 4101 Network Card: On-board...
  2. RamGuy

Dell PowerEdge R610, replacing Dell PERC H700 with something compatible with VMware ESXi 8.x?

I have a Dell PowerEdge R610 server for LAB usage. As VMware ESXi 6.7 went end-of-life in October 2022, I decided it was time to upgrade. Instead of going with VMware ESXi 7.x I went straight to ESXi 8.x. The upgrade itself wasn't too difficult, have to workaround some unsupported CPU warnings...
  3. RamGuy

Windows Server ACore 2004 and very inconsistent disk performance using Storage Spaces

Hi, I've started to have a lot of issues with my Windows Server ACore 2004 installation. It's running my Plex Media Server and it also handles my torrents. I noticed that the server have started to feel laggy when accessing it using Remote Desktop and transferring files from my Windows 10 2004...
  4. RamGuy

Upgraded my home server from Intel to AMD. Virtual disk stuck in degraded/unhealty state.

Hi, there! Today I upgraded my home server from Intel Xeon E3-1275v1 on a Asus P8E-E/4L motherboard over to a AMD Ryzen 3900X on a Asus Pro WS X570-ACE motherboard. I'm still using the same LSI MegaRAID 9211-8i in IT-mode for my 8x Seagate IronWolf 10TB disks, and I also had to carry over a...
  5. RamGuy

Simple RAID0/Stripe using Windows Storage Spaces on Windows Server 2016/1709 very slow?

I'm having some trouble with 2x Seagate IronWolf 10TB disks in a simple RAID0 aka "Stripe" configuration using Windows Storage Spaces on Windows Server 2016 v1709. This server is being used for Plex and torrents. Nothing fancy, but it seems like the RAID-array is not up to the task. Having a...
  6. RamGuy

Moving from Windows Server 2016, to Hyper-V on Nano Server 2016. Will I need to format data drives?

I'm going to upgrade my server this weekend, and I plan to move from using Windows Server 2016 over to using Windows Nano Server 2016 with Hyper-V Hypervisior to host all my servers as VM's. Nano Server 2016 is basically Windows Hyper-V Server 2016 with a lot of "crap" removed to lower the...
  7. RamGuy

Impossible to create new hard drive group and virtual drive on LSI/Avago MegaRaid 9265-8i?

Am I missing something here, or is it impossible to create new hard drive group and virtual drives on a LSI/Avago MegaRAID 9265-8i RAID controller without clearing the existing configuration? One of my WD RE4 2TB drives died so I decided to backup that RAID5-array and got a new WD RE 4TB...
  8. RamGuy

Windows Server 2012 R2 reporting all hard drives as healthy, HDD Sentinel Pro 4.71 does not agree?

I'm about to move back to hardware RAID after using Windows Spaces / Storage Pools in Windows Server 2012 R2 for a few years now. Mainly because I don't have enough ports and I need more storage so I will be splitting up my RAID and adding new drivers and ended up with ordering a LSI MegaRaid...
  9. RamGuy

Running a Storage Pool / Storage Spaces to stripe together two RAID5 hardware RAIDs?

This might sound like a silly idea. But I'm moving from using Windows Storage Pools in Windows Server to hardware RAID of a LSI MegaRaid 9265-8i RAID controller in the coming weeks. Main reason being performance as Storage Pool / Storage Spaces seems to do rather poor in terms of write...
  10. RamGuy

Windows Server 2012 R2 Storage Spaces / Storage Pools vs Hardware RAID

I'm debating whether I should make the move to hardware RAID or keep using the built-in "Storage Pools" solution in Windows Server 2012 R2 on my home-server. I've been running Windows Server 2012 R2 with a parity (1-drive parity) solution consisting of 8x Western Digital RE4 2TB + 2x Western...