Search results

1. M

Need Help. Cannot power on when SATA cables connected.

You guys are amazing! Not only the issue is resolved but I also have a new skill now. So I plugged all my PCIe power cables to the PSU (every plug populated on the PSU). Started checking Voltages and I found 1 that was giving me out of order Vs. I thought the plug on the PSU was the...
  2. M

ty kind sir! will watch and report back (tomorrow). to be continued.
  3. M

apparently I do have one, could you be extremely more specific with how to do the checks. I do not know how to operate the thing other than reading AA/AAA battery voltage.
  4. M

haha, apparently I have exactly what you described - a cheap multimeter from amazon. I need help at ELI5 level to operate though.
  5. M

thank you all for your suggestions. I think I had a bad batch of drives. I just tested the board with 2 SSDs and 2HDDs borrowed from my other machines. Bios listed the drives fine. I also took the case fan controller out of the equation. All fans are directly on board. I am also wondering...
  6. M

thank you all for suggestions - attached is the back of the case with marked power cables. Red is a daisy 7pin to PSU Green is a daisy 7 pin to PSU Blue is the Fan controller power connect to PSU (blue circle where female/male connects) Purple are the 2 CPU power cables to PSU There is also a...
  7. M

it feels exactly like that- as if PSU immediately turns the power off to protect something.
  8. M

just testing as we speak - yes I do get POST if I have cables connected on the board and nothing on the other end. I can not see anything conductive behind the SATA ports.
  9. M

Hi zac, yes I tried with 1 drive / 2 drive (HDD or SSD) - I tried all 4 SSDs on SATA ports as well. This is a weird one. Correct. Board does POST when drives are connected to power but not SATA. Board does not Power On if I connect any of the SATA to mobo. Fans start spinning and it shuts down...
  10. M

Hi all, not sure if this is a MOBO/BIOS or PSU problem. Hoping to find some guidance. Maybe I am doing something totally wrong or have incompatible hardware. Please share thoughts and guidance. Thanks # Context Building a home HPI to host workstations (VMs) and home things for 3-5 ppl to use...
  11. M

[W][CA] Cable: SlimSAS LP X8 to 8*SATA,SFF-8654 LP 74pin to 8*SATA 7pin

Already managed to buy the wrong cable twice (Mini Sas version and the non-LP version). Third time is the charm. I am looking for a slimsas low profile (LP) cable compatible with ASRock Rack ROME2D16-2T Dual AMD EPYC Motherboard Review (servethehome.com) I will use it to connect SSDs to the...
  12. M

need zpool set up review/guidance

so good to hear this, thanks for your detailed feedback and remarks. It's super helpful for me. Here are my thoughts on your points: Console vs Web-gui: I'm totally on board with using the web-gui for daily operations. I just used the cli in my posts because it's a bit easier to follow in text...
  13. M

Thanks for the morning read and the links! qcow2, very intriguing (everything is, since all is new) especially in regards to “They are simpler to provision, allow for easy snapshots, and are less likely to cause crashes if the underlying storage becomes full.” Will definitely skim through the...
  14. M

Hi all, In the last few weeks, I’ve been learning about “homelab” and how to make one from scratch. Been using linux daily and on clusters for years but "using" is the keyword. Having built all my PCs in the last 20 years or so, I have never built a machine with the specs below and set up...
  15. M

[W] [CA-ON] 2x AMD EPYC 7002/7003 48 or 64 core CPU + everything else around it

Thank you all, bought and received today from zac1. I got all the other components myself. thank you all for the offers and special thank you to zac1 for the smooth and fast transaction.
  16. M

[W] [CA-ON] 2x AMD EPYC 7002/7003 48 or 64 core CPU + everything else around it

Hi, I am shopping for parts to build a small business HPC - Built is for end of September/October-ish. Ideally, components / specs I am looking for: CPU: 2 x AMD EPYC 7713 (128 Cores total) MOBO: SUPERMICRO MBD-H12DSi-N6-O Extended ATX RAM: 128GB Registered DDR4-3200 Any of these 64 cores X2...
  17. M

MLNX Home Cluster - help a newbie connect

I had pasted only the summary part of the ibdiagnet - the full thing is below: ibping runs fine with: yeah, I really need help to set up the flags to use all this information and run things with mpirun.
  18. M

MLNX Home Cluster - help a newbie connect

hello all, I am trying to connect 3 HP z840 workstations using: Mellanox ConnectX-3 VPI 40 / 56GbE Dual-Port QSFP Adapter MCX354A-FCBT and Mellanox SX6005 12-port Non-blocking Unmanaged 56Gb/s I have installed the latest fw on the cards and installed the latest mlnx ofed driver that supports...
  19. M

Looking for HP z840 workstation users with Infiniband network cards

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Solved. @klui thanks for pointing out the obvious thing to do. Inserted the cards on a non-Z840 machine. Non-Z840 pc booted fine. Flushed the firmware on the card and burned the latest from Firmware for ConnectX®-3 IB/VPI (mellanox.com) Put it back to...
  20. M

Looking for HP z840 workstation users with Infiniband network cards

Yep aware of the 6 beeps' meaning from the maintenance guide. What made me think it's the NIC is that I installed a second GPU and the machine boots fine. Only when I insert the NIC it starts beeping again. And I did remove every single card from the system (even the HP Z M.2 PCI hard drive -...