Search results

1. K

Looking for a quiet workstation

Hi all, I am looking for a quiet workstation, which can be put inside a living room and will not make more noise then an ordinary desktop. It should have at least 3x16 pci slots for functional tests with nics ( i am making a networking research). I do not need a powefull cpu, it is primarily...
  2. K

Break out cable 100GB for mellanox nic

Does a break out cable which is known to work with connectx 5 should work out of te box without furteher setting (like ethtool) ? I am referring to a 100 GB cable with 4 x 25 ends, which connects a dual port connectx-5 nic to I40E . Or does it require setting or flushing firmware with tools...
  3. K

Break out cable and connectx NIC

Hello, Does a break out cable which is known to work with connectx 5 should work out of te box without furteher setting (like ethtool) ? I am referring to a 100 GB cable with 4 x 25 ends, which connects a dual port connectx-5 nic to I40E . Or does it require setting or flushing firmware with...
  4. K

DAC cables for mellanox https ConnectX MCX4121A-XCAT

Hi all, I have bought two dual port mellanox nics, as in the following link: Mellanox MCX4121A-XCAT ConnectX-4 Lx EN Network Interface Card 10GbE Dual-Port SFP28 PCIe3.0 x8 ROHS R6 Each of these nics is installed on a different host. I want to buy a DAC cable of 2 meter length, for...
  5. K

Dell Precision 3620 Xeon E3 workstation

Hello, My question is about Dell Precision 3620 Xeon E3 workstation Which has a sata disk (non SSD). See the links following. Is the noise level of such a workstation higher than an average desktop ? Can it be used on a desk on which I work all day, in the sense that it will not have a higher...
  6. K

Startech Intel X540 RJ45 dual port nic

Hello, Does anyone here have an experience with the following StarTech 2-Port PCI Express 10GBase-T Ethernet Network Card - with Intel X540 Chip: 2-Port PCI Express 10GBase-T Ethernet Network Card - with Intel X540 Chip My question is this: I need it for a desktop, which means that I need a...
  7. K

SFP28 optical module and SFP/SFP+

Is there difference in physical form between SFP28 optical and SFP/SFP+ ? Should SFP28 optical module (like the one in the following link) fit into SFP/SFP+ cage ? https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-briefs/ethernet-sfp28-optics-product-brief.pdf Kevin
  8. K

Connecting Mellanox connectx4 nic 25GB with intel i40e Fortville nic 25GB

Does anyone have any experience with connecting Mellanox connectx4 nic 25GB with intel i40e Fortville nic 25 GB ? Both are sfp/sfp+ 28. Are there any chances that an Intel or Mellanox cable will work ?
  9. K

Patch LC LC Fiber cable for 10GB nic

Hi, I am interested in connecting 10 GB ports of IXGBE nic by an optic cable. This nic have optical transcivers to which I can connect LC male to LC male fiber optic cable. A short, MMC cable is good for me. My question is: i am a newbie to optic cables. From the search I made in eBay, I do not...
  10. K

Quiet Desktop Server

Hi, I want to buy a new quiet Desktop Xeon-based Server. It must be quiet, not louder than an average desktop, because I want to use it at home, near my table near which I sit and work. I saw for example, Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 70A4000HUX i3-4130 3.4GHz Server Desktop Computer (According to...
  11. K

QSF+ and QSF cables

Is there a difference in physical form between QSFP+ connectors and QSFP connector ? Will a QSFP+ cable be able to be connected to a QSFP port, and will a QSFP cable be able to be connected to a QSFP+ port ?
  12. K

Installing a mezzanine card

Hello, First I need to say that I never bought and installed a mezanine card, nor did I saw such in real life. My question is - what is needed in order to install a mezanine card? And in which cases a mezanine card is usually needed ? Can it be installed on a desktop machine (or a server which...
  13. K

Silent 10 GB switch

Hi, There was a long and interesting thread recently in this forum about 10GB switch. My question is about silent 10GB switches, preferably fanless: do anyone knows such and have experience with them ? I am thinking of installing such one at home, which is a bit densed place, and I would like to...
  14. K

Connecting Mellanox 40 GB nic to Intel Fortville NIC

Hi, Did anyone tried to connect Mellanox 40GB nic (mlx4/mlx5) to Fortville 40GB nic ? I will appreciate if he will share with us which cables did he use? will Mellanox QSFP+ cables be good enough for this ? Regards, Kevin
  15. K

40Gb Ethernet network card

Hi all, Can anybody recommend about a *new* (in the sense of not used, not in the sense of modern) 40Gb Ethernet QSF+ network interface card, which can be bought by ebay.com or Amazon (or elsewhere, with international shipping) Regards, Kevin
  16. K

SR-IOV Bios support in desktops

Hi all, According to a thread from over a year ago in this forum (a link will be followed next), "none of the desktop based boards (with the exception of the X79) properly support SR-IOV". First I would like to ask, since over a year passed - is the situation the same ? The second thing is -...
  17. K

sriov 10GB nic

Hi, Could somone suggest an ethernet sr-iov 10GB nic which has a linux driver ? I prefer a NIC with RJ 45,if possible Regards, Kevin