Search results

1. B

Converting an HP DL380e Gen8 14xLFF Server to a Disk Shelf

There are 2 x 8 pin connectors. But you only need 3 X 12v and 3 X Ground for each. Forget what # 1, 3, pins are for; possibly just for indications, Think you can leave #1 and #3 empty. You can power them with only 12v and Ground. Yellow is 12v and Grey is Ground. Remember now, that I didn't...
  2. B

BTW; Powering 12 slots is relatively easy, as you say for SATA. I can only power 24 from 1 PSU by using the HP dl380, b'coz of the integrated 5v/12v on the backplane. But staggered starts do help. In 40 drives, I have a few SAS drives and they are always the last to start, one by one.
  3. B

Yes I saw it snowing in Texas! It was 38c here last week. February normally the hottest, say 36 to 42c. But today a mild 26c and similar forecast for the week.
  4. B

My transferring to a 24 bay Server Case from a Standard HPZ440 was bad. Fitting the MB etc was no problem, but the continuing problems with the Hot-Swap HDD cases and the power supply was deficient in the 5v was annoying. A very standard ATX ps will only power say 20 HDDs b'cos of the 5v. Using...
  5. B

These are pics when I was testing the open plan arrangement. I am using 3D printed supports for underneath BPs and also for HDD support. Sorry, I have not taken the up to date ones, b'coz of forgetting and it's difficult with only 3 fingers & 1 thumb working and now my hand has started to shake...
  6. B

Give me a bit of time and I'll try to answer; I am very old [76] disabled geek [one hand] living in Perth Australia [Very Hot]. BUT If I can do it, anybody can. The 2 HPs Backplanes are on a shelf [open plan] vertical, with BIG brackets supporting them. I will try to find pics later. The mother...
  7. B

Interesting; I have 2 X 12 dl380 full of 24 HDDs. No problem with the power of a 700w ATX ps, AFTER re-pining the cables [re; earlier pages here]. Can be a little difficult. I have various HDD from 8 to 18TB. The two 18TB Exos are six months old. #1 started giving 'Smart Data' test errors after...
  8. B

Really clued-up guy 'scrutinous' on SpacePool Discord says;