Search results

1. D

Supermicro X9/X10/X11 Fan Speed Control

Glad you got it sorted!
  2. D

Appreciate the effort to test your board, and to report your findings on this forum. FWIW, my understanding is neither the X9SRL (without the -F designation), nor the X9SRW-F (sister boards to yours) support manual fan speed control either. Many more X9 boards don't. Most X9 boards have a...
  3. D

Yeah, I wish you good luck, but share your sentiment. I'd be inclined to RMA that board if that's an option. Otherwise it's likely best used in non-critical applications and try to get it to run all fans at full speed. If it's not a financial burden for you, I would frankly chuck it and get a...
  4. D

That is to be expected given what you posted afterwards: sudo ipmitool raw 0x30 0x70 0x66 0x01 0x01 0x64 says "set fan zone 1 fans to 100% power" Fan zone 1 = FANA in the case of your X11SSi-LN4F board. Since there's no fan connected to that fan header - according to the IPMI output above the...
  5. D

Based on my research, my understanding is that board does not support manual fan speed control via IPMI. I believe they only have limited control via the BIOS or no controls (fully automatic) similar to the current methodology of proprietary Dell and HPE boards.
  6. D

@peter_s thanks for posting this info. Interesting the fan hysteresis is so high, and an odd number. That implies the max fan speed the BMC can track is 35,700 RPM, unless ASPEED also changed how the BMC reports read speeds. Are you certain it's not possible to set the other lower and upper...
  7. D

Help! :) Quanta D51B-2U fan control via BMC / IPMI2.0 commands?

This is because they are 6-pin fan headers. Simplified explanation: think of these fans as 2x 4-pin fans side-by-side, with a shared power wire. There is only one power adjustment, and it affects both fans together. The BMC treats it as a single fan when writing/sending commands. I know it's...
  8. D

Most of the X11 and H11 series use the AST2500. However, a few use the AST2400. The AST2600 was introduced in the X12/H12 generations.
  9. D

H11 and H12 boards that support IPMI fan control, generally follow the same IPMI command format as X11 and X12 boards, which generally follow the X10 syntax; i.e. something like: 1. Set fan mode to FULL ipmitool raw 0x30 0x45 0x01 0x01 2. Set Fan Zone to Speed ipmitool raw 0x30 0x70 0x66 0x01...
  10. D

ASRock Rack BMC Fan Control?

Necro'ing this thead because this IPMI fan control information is very obscure, so I'm adding a comment FBO. The 0x00 between CPU1_FAN1 and REAR_FAN1 may be a "CPU override" byte. It's either that or a dummy value. ASRock used this method on the old EP2C602 series boards (circa 2014) which...
  11. D

14 TB SAS HDD *NEW* $135

Nice find! FWIW: Noting, SATA drives only; and of those... the WD Ultrastar DC530's (WUH721414ALE6L4) have the lowest (actual/in field) reported failure rate (0.41%). The Seagate Exos X14's are the worst. If you want a Seagate, I would recommend the X16 version (same price). I don't have any...
  12. D

14 TB SAS HDD *NEW* $135

Lots of reasons. That's just a 2 day difference. Parts availability. Location (different factory). etc. Pretty much, yes. There are actually a few decoders out there, but they're only relevant for disk models sold during certain periods of time. Western Digital has to be the absolute biggest...
  13. D

14 TB SAS HDD *NEW* $135

No. That's a decent drive. CMR. 5-year warranty new. Debuted in 2016, I believe. Note this drive may also be labeled/sold as "Ultrastar DC HC520 SAS 512e SE"
  14. D

Fan speed control on supermicro X12

raw 30 or raw x30 Depending on the tool, is consistent with ASPEED chipsets as the first value. On those BMC's, hex 30 indicates the "cooling" functions of the chip. It's basically always going to be the first part of a register's "address" per se when utilizing raw commands to control the...
  15. D

Fan speed control on supermicro X12

That's good to know. Same methodology as the X11 boards. However, I'll caution that it can also depend on the BMC chipset version. @im.thatoneguy which board model have you tested this on?
  16. D

14 TB SAS HDD *NEW* $135

@JoshDi will do. However, it may be a few weeks due to work, travel, etc. I wanted to grab these while they were available. I've been waiting awhile for a decent price on new or lightly used 14 or 16 TB SAS disks suitable for a NAS box.
  17. D

14 TB SAS HDD *NEW* $135

Thought I'd circle back on my experience. I purchased 12 drives. They arrived in 2 days (free shipping via UPS). Securely packed in Styrofoam (custom molded to hold up to 24 drives in the box). The drives were spread within the box in a fashion that appeared someone thought about weight...
  18. D

Wood Bezel Chassis

I stumbled upon this and thought it was a very interesting option, and thought I'd share. It is a real wood bezel rackmount server chassis, which can be stained in order to blend in with a high-end furniture type of environment. This opens up some very interesting possibilities, such as in a...
  19. D

14 TB SAS HDD *NEW* $135

I didn't intend to come across as hostile. I thought it was a valid question, as you posted a link but did not offer any context. That's why I asked. With your explanation about some preferring to purchase on eBay, now I understand your position and why you posted the eBay link.
  20. D

14 TB SAS HDD *NEW* $135

I don't understand your point. Spend +$10 more per drive??? It's likely the same seller. Purchasing directly from them is $135 per unit vs. $145 via Ebay. Shipping via their site is the same (free). I saw their ebay listing, but posted this info because it's cheaper. Ironically, these new...