Search results

1. C

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

To clarify, I hot glued the fan to the ASIC heat sink, not to the top case. I imagine that if you glued the fan to the top case, there would be no path for air to pass between the fan and the top case.
  2. C

I used a dab of hot-melt glue on each corner of the fan. Hope I can remove the fan in case I ever need to, but I don't really know.
  3. C

SOLVED: trying to run 2.5g multi-gig to an older juniper ex4300

I have found a couple of solutions to this, which I wrote about in more detail in this post. One solution is the rare and expensive SFP+ module, [Supermicro] Aquantia AQS-107-B0C2-CX. It needs to be the real one with the Aquantia chipset, not one of the cheap ones marked "compatible" with that...
  4. C

TrueNAS home NAS setup zPool recommendation

I have a 10+ year old server running a raidz3 array with 11 active drives (i.e., 8 data + 3 parity). I run it in a dusty home garage (maybe relevant). At one point I lost 3 drives before I could get replacements installed and resilvered. It really scared me. Now I run with 3 hot spares on that...
  5. C

SM CSE 826 sweet deal

Supermicro X10SRH-CF here as well. @Fritz did you find that the 24-pin power-supply cable doesn't quite reach the motherboard? Mine is short by just a couple of millimeters. I just sort of forced it, but one of the wires is visibly under tension. It works, but I don't like it. I have an...
  6. C

@zanechua It seems that the modules with the real Aquantia chipset have special capabilities for allowing the intermediate speeds of NBase-T on switches like the Brocade ICX that do not clock at those intermediate speeds. See...
  7. C

When testing the Aquantia AQS-107-B0C2-CX SFP+ module, I noticed that show media reports the slot as empty, even though it is working. SSH@b7250#show media e 1/2/7 Port 1/2/7: Type : EMPTY I remembered the post about the misformatted I2C EEPROM, so I thought I would read mine out of...
  8. C

On the subject of interfacing the Brocade ICX to 2.5gbe equipment, I tried out two gadgets, both with successful results. First is the new Qnap QSW-2104-2S, a very new product, which I purchased new from a large online retailer. This is a fanless consumer-oriented unit, with two 10Gbe SFP+...
  9. C

So much thanks to @nlj for the awesome post contributing to the fan swap knowledge base for the Brocade switches. My new 7250-24 got the Sanyo Denki 109P0412B3013 on the chassis and the Sunon MF60101V1-1000U-G99 on the ASIC. I added both fans at the same time so I don't have information about...
  10. C

Nice! I looked around a bit and discovered that Optcore has a version too. The photo shows the 1G version but the description describes it as 10G. It's $109 here. 10GBASE-T Copper to 10G SFP+ Fiber Media Converter | Optcore.net
  11. C

My internet connection peaks at just over 1400Mbps download speed with a direct connection between my desktop and the ISP router's 2.5gbe port, through a USB 2.5gbe dongle. Through my old pfSense box, I was seeing peaks barely over 800Mbps. So it was a 75% improvement I was leaving on the table...
  12. C

I thought I'd introduce myself. I got intoxicated by this thread, and after reading the first 50 pages of it, I drunk-purchased a new sealed ICX 7250-24 through ebay. I cannot express how much I do not need this switch! Nevertheless it is super cool and I could use some advice, request below...