Search results

1. P

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Another question, might help me debug: is there any way from the serial port to watch some of the packets going to/from a given IP, and provide some info on what switching decisions are being made for each packet?
  2. P

@kapone I'll try anything at this point! :) I've got a VLAN 16 and a VLAN 32 now. Same setup -- x.x.[32/16].10 IP's for two different devices, one on each subnet. Neither can ping the other at this moment. Anything else I can check? Is there a way I could have inadvertently disabled inter-VLAN...
  3. P

@kapone Fairly certain that is not the case. One of these devices is my OSX laptop that I've used for a ton of debugging and pinging from, and the other is a OPNsense machine that is definitely responsive to pings because I've gotten it to respond to pings in the past. Also, the switch itself...
  4. P

Having some trouble now that I've introduced a VLAN into my 6610 switch and hoping somebody can help me figure out what I've done wrong. :) I have a VLAN 8 and a VLAN 1 (default). The VLAN 1 I've given an IP of 10.200.1.5/30 (so, just two IP's usable, intentionally so). The VLAN 8 I've given an...
  5. P

X10SRL-F bad RAM slot or defective CPU?

Follow up question - any way to force at least the IPMI dedicated port to reset whatever static IP/DHCP settings it has on it? I need to at least get it connected to a switch and see it request an IP, and right now it's not even doing that.
  6. P

What do you mean by that final option? I'm not familiar.
  7. P

@RageBone Yeah, tried that. I feel pretty certain now that I have a BIOS version problem. Trouble is that I only have a v4 CPU and this board (I think) is wanting a v3 CPU to even POST. Anybody know how to flash a BIOS on the board using IPMI... if you don't have access to the BIOS to reset...
  8. P

@TXAG26 -- Did you ever figure out what was causing this issue? I'm having a similar issue (slightly different details, but thematically the same).
  9. P

Nevermind, figured it out! :) Thanks for the pointer.
  10. P

Hrmm... you mean on the ICX switch? How do I set up a route?
  11. P

Hmm, maybe some new information here. I tried again this morning to ping from the ICX to the Unifi switch (which is in the same *.255/24 subnet), and it worked! I also pinged another device in that subnet. However, I can't ping any device in the other VLAN's. So, there is something still...
  12. P

@LodeRunner I have a Ubiquiti USG (soon to be put to pasture) that has multiple VLAN's on it already. The default VLAN is the subnet as shown, yes (*.255/24). I have already verified I can ping from, say, my laptop on one of the other VLAN's in the network to devices in this *.255 subnet, so...
  13. P

Thanks @LodeRunner. See below:
  14. P

I just picked up a 6610-48P after thorough research and a huge help from multiple folks in this community. Really appreciate this information and the detailed guides! I followed @fohdeesha instructions all the way up to the point where I've disconnected the management network and plugged in one...
  15. P

Switching suggestions for 10gb L3 core routing and PoE++ auxiliary

I decided to grab a used R210 II with the E3-1220L proc, and will go at this from the bare metal angle for now. It's so low power draw that I'm going to be happy running just the firewall on it and nothing more for now. I think I'm going to start with OPNsense. I believe all I need now is a PCI...
  16. P

@Blue)(Fusion -- thanks. What if I want to go dual-WAN, with at least one of those links being 10GbE, and third 10GbE port to the switch? Is there a server (preferably low-power) that gives me the ability to have dual PSU's and a PCI slot for a 4x SFP+ NIC?
  17. P

@nickf1227 -- I ended up going with the ICX 6610. Appreciate your help! My next quest is for an appliance or appropriate hardware for running a router. Suggestions from anybody would be appreciated there too!
  18. P

That's a great analysis, thanks. One point of confusion, though -- why couldn't I just go with the 7150ZP in a collapsed core design as well, foregoing the VDX 6740? Wouldn't that be the best apples-to-apples comparison to the collapsed core design with the ICX 6610? There are some pluses and...
  19. P

Thank you for the additional thoughts. I am hardwiring a bunch of things in the house. Basically every room has hardwires and smurf tubes for more wires. So, no issue there! Still, when WiFi 6E is generally available, I will probably want to install it rapidly -- hence the desire to go ahead...
  20. P

Thanks @nickf1227. I've looked a little bit at the Brocade line (including that forum post you referenced). Given I want some PoE++, it seems like it isn't necessarily the best option for an all-in-one switch. Your recommendation to think of things in a two-switch setup (core vs. access) makes...