Search results

1. X

Seeking advice on older hardware

So was going to drop an update here to say I've got my new (old) system up and running, but was cleaning up the parts this weekend for assembly and had a bad surprise when I went to install the CPU. A bunch of pins in the socket seem to have been torn out. Nothing to be done but contact the...
  2. X

Uh, thanks for pointing that out. I hadn't really thought about that bit. Honestly I'm not impressed by Fractal's current offerings. Every generation seems to get larger, and it seems like I'd have to go big to get a worthwhile number of drives in. They used to make an Arc Mini(?) that seems...
  3. X

Xeon E3s - 1220 vs 1225 vs 1226

This is really a follow up to my earlier thread here. The short of it is I had some old hardware laying around that I wanted to make use of, and I was struck by how cheap older server hardware has become. (Or maybe has been for a while and I just never knew.) My plan is to put together a low-end...
  4. X

It doesn't need to be tiny, and I suspect the final size will be dictated by the drives... (planning for 6 at the moment). But I've never made full use of a full ATX board and it just seem like wasted space. Compact is nice and preferred, but not an absolute must. Good idea on using the...
  5. X

Thanks for the options! So I really don't need the processing power. I have an assortment of older parts, some drives (6 I think), and a HBA, and the plan is a basic NAS. It is staggering what kind of processing power is available for cheap nowadays, but I can't imagine I'd have any use for...
  6. X

The single biggest stumbling block for me would be my unfamiliarity with the LGA 2011 lineup. Looking at Supermicro options they seem to be "archived" products. Also I'm angling towards a mATX solution, which seems easy enough to find for LGA 1150, but less so for 2011. Plus if I don't need...
  7. X

That's exactly what had me looking at stock Intel coolers. I'm almost certainly not going to be doing anything resource intensive with it, so I figured I *should* be safe. The caveat being I have no idea how much power a say Xeon E3 might actually pull. (Side note, I haven't looked at CPUs...
  8. X

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, definitely looking at cheaper used stuff off of eBay. I'm not sure I could even find X10 series parts new now. Another question: What are my options for CPU coolers? (Assuming a LGA 1150 socket CPU.) I'm not familiar with standard "server" solutions, and while...
  9. X

First post here, I've been lurking on the ServeTheHome forums on and off over the years. Mostly out of curiosity as I've never had any real need to set up anything major at home. I'm now thinking of putting together a TrueNAS box with older components and I was hoping to get some advice from...